No announcement yet.

Smolt/Alvein.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm new to the whole smolt/alevin thing.

Why not just catch one with a butterfly net, stab it through the head with a size 10 tmc100 and catch a really big trout?
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

Well scott, the problem comes down to ethics.

If your fishing for trout, then the godliness route is to fish barbless, regardless of what the all knowing Alaska DNR tells you through the regs. So, the quandry of your question once again comes to presentation...casting and presenting an Alevin to a trout is really tough to do with a barbless hook!

Then again, thats what those centerpin setups are really good for!

Comment

Scott-rn, tha is just harresy and you should be punished harshly.

Wouldn't a worm hook with the barbs on the back shank be a better tool? (did I say that out loud?)

Out wandering a valley stream and got to observe some fry, found a couple dead so looked at them close. Battle creek is pretty darn close size 8 with very slight par marks up towards the head/eyes...

Not enough water to hold trout but smolt/fry was working. Didn't get a close look but an occasional caddis might have been coming off. Did see a cream midge type adult maybe size 22....

Good to get the waders wet.

George

Comment

George, glad to hear I'm not the only one out fishing and not catching!
          G Smolt, would you mind sharing the material you used on the wing of your fly? The fly looks great!
          Thanks,
          Riley

Comment

George,
            Just a little nyquil induced sarcasm. Been making my 6 year old tie up the alevin.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	2479168

There must be an advantage to staying home sick (like filling the bugger/llama box), cause nyquil sure ain't it.

Name:	buggers.jpg
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	2479167
            My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

Originally posted by AKGrayling View Post
              G Smolt, would you mind sharing the material you used on the wing of your fly?
              SF fiber in olive with a dash of black, tied in over a clump of peacock sword.
              sigpic

Comment

Been practicing with epoxy, and made a few smolts. okay okay ive been doing it for a caouple weeks now and have tried them. And they work!

Name:	epoxy smolt 001.jpg
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	2479171Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	2479172
                -Tight Lines & head shakin
                sigpic

Comment

Nice fly man

Comment

NIce tie 900, how does that run? In my over-engineering mind it looks like it would run up side down with the down turned eye.

George

Comment

It runs right side up there is a strip of lead on the bottom part of the shank and the way the belly is makes it bottom heavy. Its produce fish on 2 of 2 trips used on
                      sigpic

Comment

nice work with the epoxy, Fusion... your practice has paid off...

Are you using the clear epoxy or the tan/cream colored stuff?

Comment

Originally posted by jockomontana View Post
                          nice work with the epoxy, Fusion... your practice has paid off...

Are you using the clear epoxy or the tan/cream colored stuff?
                          Its the clear stuff. I messed with the photo a lil bit to throw off the colors a bit , just wanted to show a lil but not too much! haha
                          sigpic

Comment

right... kinda like how you photo shop your rainbows so they look bigger in the pics! I get it now...

Comment

I never do that. Its all in the way you hold it
                              sigpic

Comment

just kidding man... sometimes sarcasm doesnt come out like you'd like to on the 'net...

hope you guys get out there today... the weather is downright gorgeous!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X