Adult Damsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adult Damsel

Hoping to try these out this summer on some lakes. The extended body is tied on 30lb line on a wire and slid off after you make the body.
    Attached Files

Nice.

I used to tie 'em with an extended abdomen made out of the same foam that forms the rest of the body...couple of black lines with a pantone pen and you're in business.

They work OK in most lake situations.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks gsmolt, ive never fished adults yet but i hope to throw them at some fish cruising the shallows. I have also tied them with foam with the extended body. Thanks

Comment

sweet looking fly!
        -Tight Lines & head shakin
        sigpic

Comment

Very nice - I like the second one a lot. I've always had better luck with damsels that have wings sticking out the side rather than the back.
          Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Those are cool, Matt24.
              What material is that in the wings?
              Thanks for posting.
              No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by 6XLeech View Post
                Those are cool, Matt24.
                What material is that in the wings?
                Thanks for posting.
                Looks to me like packing foam? Like the kind a new DVD player might come wrapped in? (Or maybe Blu-Ray player :-P)
                I use that stuff sometimes for my dry fly wings even - cheap, easier than wrestling with feathers, and lots of flotation!
                "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

Actully my little brother got the foam for my B-Day at Mountain View (he likes when i tie with foam). Haven't tried the dvd or packing foam yet might have to give it a try. The wing on the first one is from River Road Creations, and the second is white antron with black sharpie. Thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by Matt24 View Post
                    Actully my little brother got the foam for my B-Day at Mountain View (he likes when i tie with foam). Haven't tried the dvd or packing foam yet might have to give it a try. The wing on the first one is from River Road Creations, and the second is white antron with black sharpie. Thanks guys
                    I should give credit where credit is due - I got the idea for the foam from George Riddle... You can't help but pick up all kind of useful tips and tricks when you tie with George. He knows his stuff.
                    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

Thanks, Matt24. Aha, antron with the secret black Sharpie technique!
                      Good job, man.

This fly tying subforum is terrific, isn't it?
                      No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt24 View Post
                        Can you go into more detail on how you wrapped the body? I tried using embroidery floss with mixed results... The last one in the picture is some diamond floss that just screamed "Dragon Fly" to me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1479.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	2478901

Comment

hmm... I'd also be interested in how Matt is making the bodies. I guess I missed the first go around that he was tying them himself.

One way I've done extended bodies for damsels using floss is to take a loose piece about 5 inches long and hold one end and then twist it a LOT. Then bring the ends together and let the floss twist around itself. Then grab the ends of the now twisted up section (twice as thick) and again twist it A LOT in the same direction. Again, bring the ends together and let it twist around itself. If you did it right (trusting I explained it well enough) you end up with a nice segmented extended body.
                          Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Adult Dragons are freaking awesome to fish around here... same technique to tie just make em bigger and BLACK, then throw them at the bank twitch every so often and hold on
                            I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

I don't have pictures yet but i can make them it might be till tomarow though (sorry got school work). What i do is a take a sewing needle and place it in the vise from there i start my 6/0 thread and work my way back to however long you want the body after that i take a peice of 30 pound mono and tie it on making sure my thread is nice and evenly wrapped. From there i place a small amount of zap a gap on top of the mono, i place the glue on top so it dosen't soke through to the needle. From there you take your blue string that you stole from your mothers scrap booking supplies. That is going to be the hardest part to find the blue string. You could probably use a fine blue dubbing also. Tie on the string giving it a nice even body with no lumps. From there i wrap the string just like a chenile all the way to the point of the needle. I tie it of, whip finish, and zap a gap it. From here you slide the body off the needle and glue both ends so it wont fall apart.
                              If none of this is making sense sorry, ill try and get the pictures soon.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X