AK Saltwater Flies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    Almost embarrassed to post this effort, but it has been amazingly productive. It's my "no vise" sand lance imitation So far its managed a several kings trolling and the saltwater species seem to eat it up. Planning on trying a smaller version for freshwater smolt imitations that I can cast. I have never been able to create "beautiful" flies, but every now and then I seem to find a jig or simple pattern that produces fish. I have tied, but haven't tested the articulated versions yet.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75914[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]75915[/ATTACH]
    larger pic of the second pic...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_241.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	2490777

Comment

You can dip that woven mylar into epoxy to make it bomb proof. I use the same material for fry & smolt patterns and finish the body off with epoxy.
      Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
        You can dip that woven mylar into epoxy to make it bomb proof. I use the same material for fry & smolt patterns and finish the body off with epoxy.
        That is a GREAT idea. That was my only issue with these is the pollock would just tear them up after the tenth fish or so. And when you are catching 50 or more pollock a day, I switched over to the plastic hoochies which lasted twice as long. Thanks!!!!!

Comment

I'd also suggest Clear Cure Goo. It's a UV activated one-part material that you can set up instantly and not have to worry about mixing large quantities or have it run on you like epoxy. You can get it online or at a lot of fly shops.

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakfly View Post
            I'd also suggest Clear Cure Goo.
            Thick apps take forever to dry completely. They'll stay tacky on the surface no matter how much UV light you hit them with. Pretty frustrating until you learn the simple "fix": After treating them the standard time with your portable UV light, lay them out in the sun for a few hours. Done.
            "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
            Merle Haggard

Comment

simply wipe the cured Clear Cure after the UV light with acetone and you're done.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                Thick apps take forever to dry completely. They'll stay tacky on the surface no matter how much UV light you hit them with. Pretty frustrating until you learn the simple "fix": After treating them the standard time with your portable UV light, lay them out in the sun for a few hours. Done.
                I've had that problem with some of their versions. Ironically, the "Tack-Free" is often the tackiest. I use the Thin, Thick and Hydro for different applications and for me, I've found keeping my light charged well enough is the biggest factor in getting the stuff set up. Keep it charged and bright, and go 30 seconds instead of the 10 that they call for, and it cures it up pretty well for me.

I've also started using some other industrial/commercial two-part instant adhesives for building up super large heads when I need instant, dry and permanent heads and don't want to mess with CCG.

Comment

Originally posted by steelguy View Post
                  simply wipe the cured Clear Cure after the UV light with acetone and you're done.
                  Wish it worked that way with thick apps like Popoviks. An hour after the acetone, they're tacky again. Acetone also speeds yellowing.

Just lay them in the sun for a few hours and be done.
                  "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                  Merle Haggard

Comment

Originally posted by BrownBear View Post
                    Or just top it off with Clear Nail Polish Hardener. Works great, drys quick, nice finish, no more tackiness, bulletproof! Great looking flies by the way!
                    Piscor Ergo Sum

Comment

Some recent ones I've done.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Only two per post, so...
                        Attached Files

Comment

And two....
                          Attached Files

Comment

Two thumbs up!
                            "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X