Broken Loomis rod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Loomis rod...

Ive broke my G Loomis Xperience rod and am in the process of figuring out how to ship it to their office in Washington. Ive read from a paper i got at Sportsmans Warehouse that there is a flat rate to get it fixed, or if i need it fixed fast i can expedite it. Ive heard their warranty has changed and according to their website i just send the rod in, then they estimate the cost if there is any. Im a bit confused by all this and was seeing if there was anyone out there that had any recent experience of sending their rod in and had any advice. Thanks for all the help guys.

It is my understanding that GLoomis has changed their warranty to cost $120/rod to fix or replace. The old cost was $60/rod. They make a nice rod but ever since they sold off, it has really gone downhill.

Originally posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Ive broke my G Loomis Xperience rod and am in the process of figuring out how to ship it to their office in Washington. Ive read from a paper i got at Sportsmans Warehouse that there is a flat rate to get it fixed, or if i need it fixed fast i can expedite it. Ive heard their warranty has changed and according to their website i just send the rod in, then they estimate the cost if there is any. Im a bit confused by all this and was seeing if there was anyone out there that had any recent experience of sending their rod in and had any advice. Thanks for all the help guys.

Comment

120? Wow, steep.

Comment

look up on the web , call, they will tell you all you want to know, water pipe with caps works great to ship it

Comment

Yeah, they increased the no fault warranty $$$ from $60 to either $100 or $120 not sure how much.
          If the rod is under a year old there should be no charge for a warranty claim unless they determine the issue was neglect.

Personally, because of the way the company has gone since being purchased by Shimano I will never purchase one of their products.

I own a bunch of Sage fly rods and the flat rate fee is $50. I had two rods go in for repair or replacement last year and they built me brand new replacement rods.
          One of the rods was an older RPL 4wt which is my favorite rod. I thought when I sent it in that it would be replaced with a newer model due to it's age, but when I got my rods back I found a brand new RPL which is awesome!!!
          sigpic
          www.arcticangler.ca
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! And that sage warranty sounds like the way to go... How is St. Croix's warranty these days?

Comment

I have two stories to relate:

1. I sent in my 18 year old rod paid my fee (I think it was $30?) and they mailed me a brand new rod. Pretty amazing. This was a $200 rod when I bought it 18 years ago.
              2. I stepped on my favorite rod 12 years ago and they replaced it no questions for whatever the fee was back then. And then my buddy snapped it again last year and I sent it in, basically for the fee + postage I got a brand new $650 rod. I think they are awesome.

Comment

Thats Awesome. I have a 8 wt glx that I purchased 3 years ago. Since that time 3 were questionable quality. 2 of them breaking unexpectedly (on no more than 15 lb)..... 1 on a upper river bow. They wrote me a letter saying they were damaged due to exposure to high heat which i don't understand, living in alaska. The other one i sent back, was sent to me defective without a properly glued seat and butt section. I don't know whats going on over there, but their quality control has definitely been lacking. However they have yet to charge me a fee to fix a a rod which is nice but I have paid shipping costs to Gloomis. hopefully the 4th ones a charm. I usually send them in through my local fly shop and let them deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by qkayak View Post
                  It is my understanding that GLoomis has changed their warranty to cost $120/rod to fix or replace. The old cost was $60/rod. They make a nice rod but ever since they sold off, it has really gone downhill.
                  The warranty used to allow for a rod to be sent in for evaluation and returned to you at no cost if they found that it was defective. The old Xpedite $50 fee was a no questions asked replacement warranty that included FedEx shipment of a rod to you. Upon receipt of the new rod you put the old rod in the shipping container and return it.

Today the warranty hasn't changed too much from what I have seen except all those rods you bought say more than 5 yrs ago pretty much no longer have a warranty. That said the old Xpedite service was unlimited and is now a "ONE TIME" per rod service. I still like my GLoomis rods but the reason I bought them was because of an outstanding warranty that is no more.........

Comment

St Croix warrenty has gone hill too!! I have been fishing TFO they still have a half way decent salmon rod with a good warrenty

Comment

I've had to send back several GLoomis rods in the past with the process AKBighorn mentioned. Call, they send a new rod in shipping tube, put old rod in tube the new one just came in and send it back. No muss, no fuss. Sounds like everything changed when they sold. That's too bad as I have seen the tip 18" or so of several GLoomis rods break off for no apparent reason. (These were 9'6" 5wt. rods)
                      Never had a problem with any of my Sage rod warranties.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input. Hopefully my results will turn out like "willowone"'s did.

Comment

Some anglers like to treat warranty work as a free new rod every year or two program.

Companies take a beating by these few jerks.

Most companies have their standard practices listed but often go out of their way to help a sincere angler that doesn't return his rod every year or every other month for a "defect". The companies will often bend over backward to fix a rod well out of production or replace the rod, they know how much brand loyalty this creates and how many future rods efforts like this help sell.

I broke a buddy's GL last year in Alaska, it was a $500 fly rod. I sent it in with a short note about what happened and where, the life the rod had led prior to its demise, and for $50 they replaced the rod for my friend with the newer version. In the same accident I broke a 10 yr old Scott I owned, it cost me $50 also.

Many Shimano Rods like the $200 Cumara have a store replacement warranty. Walk in with a broken rod, walk out with a new one.

Comment

has any one had to send a TFO rod back? I have a 6 wt I busted on a red a year or so ago and it is sitting in the case, I haven't done any thing because I have other rods but I kinda want to get it fixed.

Comment

seems like you are judging the situation without knowing much about it. Every time a rod would break i would take it to the shop i bought it from and they were puzzled. the graphite seemed brittle and gloomis said it was due to high heat exposure which is bs. breaking an 8 wt on upper river kenai rainbows is a joke. I have 2 rods that are more than 3 yrs old and i use a lamson reel with a lifetime warranty that is 4 yrs old. yet to be sent in. I have yet to have a tfo break or a beulah. just the loomis's. and i when i get sent a rod back from the company that wont even hold my reel straight and the cork moves straight from the factory. its disheartening. especially with a 700 dollar rod.

Originally posted by Todd_NE View Post
                              Some anglers like to treat warranty work as a free new rod every year or two program.

Companies take a beating by these few jerks.

Most companies have their standard practices listed but often go out of their way to help a sincere angler that doesn't return his rod every year or every other month for a "defect". The companies will often bend over backward to fix a rod well out of production or replace the rod, they know how much brand loyalty this creates and how many future rods efforts like this help sell.

I broke a buddy's GL last year in Alaska, it was a $500 fly rod. I sent it in with a short note about what happened and where, the life the rod had led prior to its demise, and for $50 they replaced the rod for my friend with the newer version. In the same accident I broke a 10 yr old Scott I owned, it cost me $50 also.

Many Shimano Rods like the $200 Cumara have a store replacement warranty. Walk in with a broken rod, walk out with a new one.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X