new fly rod+kenai-no experience on kenai=help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new fly rod+kenai-no experience on kenai=help needed

Going down to Kenai late next week and I was thinking it would be nice to wet a line as long as I am going by the Kenai river (plus I just was given a new sage rod ). There is only one catch, I have only fished the kenai river once, and that was for kings down by the mouth. I really don't even know where to start when it comes to fishing the kenai, I usually try to avoid it.

Would anybody be willing to suggest a place that I could fish thats not too far off the main road system and is accessible to people just fishing in waders?

I'm not asking for you secret spots, just a place that I could possibly catch a fish or too... Maybe...
    "If you were to spit in a snake's eye, you would have to stoop to his level to do so."

Park at the Kenai Lake boat launch area and fish the mouth of the Kenai by the bridge. That is where most people fish and you will probably see people fishing there.

Comment

Just fish around the Cooper Landing bridge-no kidding. Flesh flies and egg sucking leeches did well there last weekend. I met up with 900 Fusion, bigcox and AKnook there last weekend. Between the four of us split up we caght 0 fish until at last we hit the bridge-see the video report posted last weekend by bigcox.
      I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Comment

Originally posted by ADUKHNT View Post
        Just fish around the Cooper Landing bridge-no kidding. Flesh flies and egg sucking leeches did well there last weekend. I met up with 900 Fusion, bigcox and AKnook there last weekend. Between the four of us split up we caght 0 fish until at last we hit the bridge-see the video report posted last weekend by bigcox.
        Well said....I have a drift boat and raft and if I was fishing this weekend it would be at the bridge
        Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Truthfully the river is real low. As long as u hit the deep holes u should be spot on. They are clear as a bell. Get your fly on the bottom try what Adukhunt said for flies if that doesn't work try nymphs or smolt/alvein patterns also articulated leeches. Cooper landing, princess rapids, below the ferry are easily accessable. Hope this helps. Ill be back down there this weekend to beat more water

-Tight Lines
          -Tight Lines & head shakin
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
            Well said....I have a drift boat and raft and if I was fishing this weekend it would be at the bridge

IF you had a fly box
            The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
              IF you had a fly box
              Who does that??????????? LOL
              Sorry Chuck I still think that is funny.............

Comment

Originally posted by kenaibow fan View Post
                Who does that??????????? LOL
                Sorry Chuck I still think that is funny.............

Both of you can bite me....... Yes I know...I thought it was in the camper.......Noooooooo it was at the house.......That is why I had dan with me he....He had stuff
                Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
                  Not me, there's better places with less people.
                  Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Many thanks to the words of advice for fishing on the kenai. I'll definitely be going down there to fish! broke out the fly tying stuff and tied up a few smolt patterns too!

Thanks again!
                    BD
                    "If you were to spit in a snake's eye, you would have to stoop to his level to do so."

Comment

Both times fishing the kenai this year I ended up catching a bow pretty much at the same spot. Fishing the bridge has produced so far.
                      http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                        Not me, there's better places with less people.
                        care to expound all mighty seed-o-monkey?
                        sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                        <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                          care to expound all mighty seed-o-monkey?
                          its all about making people think twice, really there is nowhere to fish but the bridge this time of year... see you on the water Fish God
                          I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X