Is the kenai floatable right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the kenai floatable right now?

I know the river is low, but if a couple of guys were to go Monday, could you float it in a 14 foot raft? How about a canoe? Should we stick with wade fishing?

Thanks
    I gotta start chuckin' flies or I'm gonna go crazy
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Haven't seen the river myself for a while, been in Japan for 3 months, but some friends of mine were planning on floating it this weekend.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Comment

The ice has cleared out in the areas that were blocked below sportsmans but the water is really, really low. Doable? Depends on how you define doable but a raft or canoe that you take the time to walk or drag around or over the shallow areas... is doable. Walkng & wading would be easier but you would not see as much water but did I say that it would be easier?

Comment

Packraft. That would make it through.

Comment

Thanks iceblue. We'll see how things go the next few days. If it warms up, maybe the water level will come up a little.

Brian, I haven't budgeted for a packraft, yet. The kids took priority, 14 footer works like a playpen.

Comment

Originally posted by scott_rn View Post

Brian, I haven't budgeted for a packraft, yet. The kids took priority, 14 footer works like a playpen.
            Ha! Good thinking. A floating playpen...kids can't go anywhere and you get to enjoy the water. Perfect!

Comment

Ill be down there Saturday and give you a report on what water conditions are like. I know the upper near cooper is pretty open and heard reports of guys floating from cooper bridge down to sportsmans, but once again i "heard".
              -Tight Lines & head shakin
              sigpic

Comment

Any updates on the floatability from the weekend?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by scott_rn View Post
                  Any updates on the floatability from the weekend?

Thanks.
                  Pretty skinny water, we did see some one man pontoons floating down the river. A big raft might have some troubles in the shallow areas...

Fish On!
                  You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

lake to sportsmans should be no problem... if you don't mind dragging... Sportsmans to Jims had a lot of ice last time I was down there, maybe this warm weather knocked it out...
                    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Its not the water level right now.....It is the Ice shelves at Sportmans and Jims trying to pull out......Hopefully the sun will get rid of those soon
                      Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Don't look like much, but it was about a 5 foot shelf. Pic is about 6 weeks old...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
                          Its not the water level right now.....It is the Ice shelves at Sportmans and Jims trying to pull out......Hopefully the sun will get rid of those soon
                          Well in that case, there is barely a shelf at Sportsmans. We didn't go as far down at Jims. The Ice shelf is definitely not as big as Dan's photo, but the water is skinnier then I've ever seen it. :confused:

Fish On!
                          You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

I was going to give report. But Bigcox nailed it.
                            -Tight Lines & head shakin
                            sigpic

Comment

It's low alright.

We didn't so much float as we paddled down stream. Bridge to cooper creek took about 2 hours + the time we stopped to fish. We took a canoe, but probably should have just waded it. We portaged princess rapid, but probably could have run it. Accidentally managed one rotten silver, saw a few nice rainbows but no hookups.

Chuck is a liar, you can't always hitchhike in half an hour
                              It was only about 2 miles on the bike but it was snowing enough that my hands were numb.

Edit: Thanks again for all the advice.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X