X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary
    replied
    Originally posted by AKnook View Post
    I have fished Bird creek a bunch of times and have only caught pinks. I did hook into a pretty nice sized blushed king once. Pretty surprised. can't fish for them there so a quick realease was it. Pretty cool to see one in there though.
    Yeah, I think the regs were recently "adjusted" to not allow fishing when the kings were going through. Even though "king" fishing was already prohibited, there were a few folks that fished for dollies that were catching kings. From what I understand, there were too many "dollie" fishermen for the small run of kings there.
    As a side note - I've often wondered what a person could catch in June fishing in Turnigan at the mouth of Rabbit Creek.

Leave a comment:

• AKnook
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary View Post
    Be SURE you check the regs before fishing for silvers in the trib streams (Quartz or Cooper). I don't believe salmon fishing is allowed in either.
    Resurection Creek does get some silvers & chum. Chums will be present with the pinks, but are vastly outnumbered by the pinks. I think all the Turnigan streams (Bird, Galcier, Portage, Ingram, Six Mile & Resurection) get all 3 species. Of course, some also get reds & kings, too.
    I have fished Bird creek a bunch of times and have only caught pinks. I did hook into a pretty nice sized blushed king once. Pretty surprised. can't fish for them there so a quick realease was it. Pretty cool to see one in there though.

Leave a comment:

• Wyo2AK
    replied
    Originally posted by danattherock View Post
    Just rent a raft from Max (Alaskacanoe) and float the middle for silvers. Pay Max to shuttle you. Catch fish, drink beer, catch fish, drink beer, etc... Couldn't be simpler.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/
    That's some sound advice.

As Gary said - all the Kenai Lake tributaries (like Quartz Creek) are closed to salmon fishing. As I've heard and read about it - after they put the hydro project on Cooper Creek it pretty much wiped out the salmon runs.

Leave a comment:

• danattherock
    replied
    Just rent a raft from Max (Alaskacanoe) and float the middle for silvers. Pay Max to shuttle you. Catch fish, drink beer, catch fish, drink beer, etc... Couldn't be simpler.

http://www.alaskacanoetrips.com/

Leave a comment:

• Gary
    replied
    Be SURE you check the regs before fishing for silvers in the trib streams (Quartz or Cooper). I don't believe salmon fishing is allowed in either.
    Resurection Creek does get some silvers & chum. Chums will be present with the pinks, but are vastly outnumbered by the pinks. I think all the Turnigan streams (Bird, Galcier, Portage, Ingram, Six Mile & Resurection) get all 3 species. Of course, some also get reds & kings, too.

Leave a comment:

• Raptor_1
    replied
    Silvers show in the upper river in August and September. I catch a lot of them by Jim's landing while chasing bows and dollies.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaIsCold
    started a topic Another Rookie Question from AIC.

Another Rookie Question from AIC.

Hiya!

So I know its -really- early to start thinking about Silver salmon on the Kenai Pennsula. But I was wondering about the timing of silvers in the kenai tributaries (Like Quartz and Cooper Creek) Every where I seem to look its pretty much all about kings in the kenai and reds in the russian. I sometimes hear something about dolly varden but thats about it. Does anybody know when they start to come in? I'm Pretty sure im gonna go with an ESL pattern or a Dolly Lama.

A second question is about Ressurection Creek (That goes though hope) Ive been there a few times over the last three years and I always see tonnes of pinks (the place is known for them) But are there other salmon species as well? Like silvers or Chum ? Ive never fished up river of the bridge before, can anybody give me some intel (hopefully pictures?) on how the river is up there?

Thanks!

--AIC

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X