Guide for Willow Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide for Willow Creek

Looking for a guide to fish Willow Creek in September.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

Bill

I been out a couple of times with Mike at Susitna Valley River Guides. He's a nice guy and knows the river well.

Comment

Reel Fly Adventures is a great guide service for walk and wades in the Valley. http://www.reelflyadventurez.com/
      "The Tug is the Drug"

Comment

My personal opinion on Willow is, I quit fishing it by the end of August, cuz the fish are really beat up and not worthy of eating in my book. Too much river for em to travel by the time they get there. JMO of course.
        I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Comment

hard to beat Mike at Susitna River Guides... he knows those creeks like the back of his hand
          I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Grizzly: I am looking to fish for rainbows, not salmon.

Bill

Comment

Ask around enough and someone here will volunteer to walk around with you and save you the guide money.

Originally posted by Bill K. View Post
              Thanks for the replies.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill K. View Post
                Thanks for the replies.

Bill
                Please don't waste the money for a guide......... there is plenty of people on here that fish that river well into Oct and are just as every bit as good as a guide..........think about it....what does a guide really do??????? Give you tackle and take you to holes????????? I am sure you have your own tackle and could get what ever if some one told you what to bring...........and every one fishes the same holes up there any way.

Comment

I agree Mike with Susitna River Guides or
                  Jake or Wade with Reel fly adventures.

Both options would be very beneficial! A guide is on the water every day and knows where the fish are.
                  So walking in by yourself or with a weekend warrior that found the fish the week before may not be as good of option. Fish move all the time and someone that floats the river every day will know where the fish are moving.
                  Either way I know Mike, Jake and Wade. They are all great guys and will get you on fish.

And if not I am sure you can learn some stuff from people here too! Good Luck!

Comment

Colton Conner (along with his brothers) with Deshka Lodge literally grew up on the Willow along with the other drainage rivers nearby. Guiding for 9 years and fishing these rivers since he was about 3 years old

From their website which is VERY true as I know him:

Born and raised in Alaska, Colton Conner has always had a passion for fishing. He was practically born with a fishing rod in hand as most of his days were spent on the Deshka or Willow Rivers, which are minutes away from his home. Growing up on the local rivers has provided Colton with the experiences and skills required to be an effective fishing guide. Colton started guiding at 17 when he and his older brother ran a successful guide service together.

Colton is now starting his fourth year at the Lodge. This fall Colton will begin his career as a biology teacher.
                    The Alaska Life www.facebook.com/thealaskalife
                    sigpic

~Spero Meliora~

Comment

Originally posted by kenaibow fan View Post
                      and every one fishes the same holes up there any way.
                      That is what is nice about up there. Most people don't think outside the box. There are still some secrets up there for sure. Also you are way better off floating the river than hiking in. Definately don't float it without out someone that has done it before or knows where the log jams ect are.

Comment

Originally posted by Slayintrout View Post
                        That is what is nice about up there. Most people don't think outside the box. There are still some secrets up there for sure. Also you are way better off floating the river than hiking in. Definately don't float it without out someone that has done it before or knows where the log jams ect are.
                        I agree floating is way better, I would go up past shirley town bridge and float down, way better fishing up past there.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.
                          I am leaning towards a guide, just for the fact that, I don't know the area & I don't want to waste time finding where to fish. I have all the gear.

Bill

Comment

I will contradict myself in this post so here goes.

This river is small so it is easy to pick out fishy places (in my humble opinion) and I fished it once and did very well. It took about an hour to figure what the bows were going after and then after that I was catching fish after fish. I even went to different areas just to get a different view. So save your money and do it yourself.

Now from a different perspective. Hire a guide and let him show you the best spots on the river, what patterns are working during the time you are there. This will save you time in searching for places to fish and what patterns to use. The best part is you can come back the next day with all the tools you just paid for the day before and do it again for free.

I think it all depends on how much time you have and what kind of experience you have as a fly fisher.

Comment

+1 on Mike from Susitna Valley River Guides.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X