Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wading jacket question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wading jacket question

    I'm looking for a wading jacket and find all of the ads pretty confusing. I'm hoping that some of you guys have found a wading jacket that works well and will share your opinions. I'm thinking it needs to be water proof (at least to some extent), have lots of pockets for tackle and hand warmer pockets. I've used Cabela's Guideware bibs and jackets on the Kenai but don't know about their wading jacket. I sure would appreciate some suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    If you've got the money nothing beats the Simms G4 guide jacket. There's a special going on right now for guides and pros. I dont know what I'd do without mine.

    Comment


    • #3
      I've been using the Cloudveil Crystal Creek Jacket for 4 years now and really have no complaints. It's been a great fishing jacket - Goretex Paclite is sweet. Big chest pockets for gear, handwarmers, and a large back cargo pocket. Packs nicely - so it's usually in my backpack for hiking, camping, etc. I've abused it pretty good and no issues/leaking so far.


      It's discontinued, so hard to find. This is all I could come up with from a quick search. If you like red and are M or XL, pretty good buy. I paid $300 at the time and haven't regretted it.
      http://www.levelninesports.com/Cloud...ek-Jacket-Mens

      Lots of good jackets out there in any price-range, I'm sure you'll hear plenty more favorable reviews for Simms jackets.

      My $.02
      Pursue happiness with diligence.

      Comment


      • #4
        I went all in and got the Simms G4 pro jacket. It was pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I was caught in some heavy rains this past summer and it never let me down. The cuffs seal nicely, and it kept me dry in all conditions. My brother has a less expensive Simms wading jacket he has used heavily for 3 years and he swears by it. The only problem with Simms is the price point is going to typically be rather high.

        Comment


        • #5
          My wife bought me the Simms G3 wading jacket a year ago for my birthday. It is a great jackets with everything you need. It's warm, totally water proof and looks good too. I think they are around $400 but I guarantee you will own it for years.
          WWW.MOLDYCHUM.COM

          http://vimeo.com/11025693

          Comment


          • #6
            Thank you very much for your input. I'm not surprised by the support for the Simms product. I've used a pair of their G3 waders for 6 years and still very happy with them. I'm not sure I want to go that far with the price but I sure appreciate the feedback. Any other ideas will be appreciated too. THANKS!

            Comment


            • #7
              I have the cloudveil as well, and after 3 years of using it 200+ days/year its finally falling apart... Too bad they don't make it any more... Its not exactally a good ski jacket as well just FYI
              I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

              Comment


              • #8
                Check out the Wright & Mcgill "Big Horn" wading jacket. It has been a hit for many years now for good reason. They run about $229 but can be found on sale for a lot less. I have had one for 4 years and it is solid. This jacket is one of the most thought out and practical not to mention tough. I also own a Simms which is also good but like most have mentioned, pricey!! My go to in heavy wind and rain is the W&M. Best wished on your purchase.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Kenai Cache Outfitters View Post
                  Check out the Wright & Mcgill "Big Horn" wading jacket. It has been a hit for many years now for good reason. They run about $229 but can be found on sale for a lot less. I have had one for 4 years and it is solid. This jacket is one of the most thought out and practical not to mention tough. I also own a Simms which is also good but like most have mentioned, pricey!! My go to in heavy wind and rain is the W&M. Best wished on your purchase.
                  Sierra Trading post has it right now for $140 and if you have any coupons you might be able to get it for under $100.00

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by madhatter898 View Post
                    I went all in and got the Simms G4 pro jacket. It was pricey, but worth it in my opinion. I was caught in some heavy rains this past summer and it never let me down. The cuffs seal nicely, and it kept me dry in all conditions. My brother has a less expensive Simms wading jacket he has used heavily for 3 years and he swears by it. The only problem with Simms is the price point is going to typically be rather high.

                    Same here. Worth every dime.
                    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      On the CHEAP end, I just use HH Impertech - totally waterproof & wind resistant. No useful pockets, but used with a chest mount pack, totally doable.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        JT, start looking on the internet for sales. In all actuality you are a month late for your search since spring fishing is just starting to gear up in the lower 48. Check e-bay for a lightly used jacket. I picked up my classic guide jacket last year from an internet sale for $200.00. Funny thing is that the retailer was in Wasilla!

                        Since you already are familiar with Simms quality, why would you look elsewhere. If you had waders that only kept you somewhat dry would you be satisfied? Look at your wading jacket as an extension of your waders and you will see things a little different.

                        If you are wet you will get cold, if you get cold you get miserable, if you are miserable you will no longer enjoy your fishing, and if you arent enjoying your fishing you will most likely stop until you dry out.

                        just my $0.02

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          2-Stars, 3-Stars, or 4-Stars...

                          Originally posted by JTall View Post
                          I'm looking for a wading jacket and find all of the ads pretty confusing. I'm hoping that some of you guys have found a wading jacket that works well and will share your opinions. I'm thinking it needs to be water proof (at least to some extent), have lots of pockets for tackle and hand warmer pockets. I've used Cabela's Guideware bibs and jackets on the Kenai but don't know about their wading jacket. I sure would appreciate some suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance.
                          I fished that Cabela's Guidewear wading jacket (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products) for several years and really, for just over $200, there wasn't anything really wrong with it. I replaced it with a lighter, more compressible jacket mainly because I hike a lot fishing and wanted something lighter. My son uses the Cabela's jacket still when he visits- 8 years old now I think...the jacket, not my son. Three years ago, we had one of those rain-all-day-long days on a float together and he stayed dry.

                          Cabela's offers a lot of good, serviceable gear if you don't mind a little bulk or weight.
                          The $200 entry point is, I think, the beginning of good jackets which can get you through most days fine, in Southcentral AK at least.

                          Most guys I talk to, on these Forums or elsewhere, who've spent say $300 on a jacket, or $400 (or more) are tickled with their purchases. And the materials you get provide more stretch, toughness, breathability the more you pay.

                          Just like the car makers, who will put high end features into their Acura, for instance, years before you see them in Hondas - I think gear makers...will feature the best available materials at the top of the market first, then trickle down into their less spendy models.

                          At $200-ish, I didn't find anything really wrong with Cabela's Guidewear Wading Jacket.
                          At $300, you'd get better functional material, better construction...
                          At $400, ... I think that's where "bomber" territory starts.
                          Likely for any given price-point, there are other jackets in that range with similar features/materials.

                          If you fish a lot, and especially if you travel to fish - where you don't wanna waste a day because your gear can't hack it - why then good gear is the best you can afford. Get it and pro-rated, the cost will average out. And the warranties improve!

                          But. I got a lot of miles out of my $200 Cabelas.

                          Good luck, man.
                          No habitat, no hunter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I have an old swims/simms raincloud that I got at a sportsman show about 10 years ago that I love, light and simple, but reddington used to have a jacket, don't know that they still do since I haven't slinked into a flyshop for awhile, but it was fairly cheap, 120's, and a superb product for what it was. It's been a few years since I have seen one but I don't think they would change somthing that worked so well. Unlike other company's who produce a new product every year proving their last model wasn't worth the money.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              as a follow up, just looked on google and sierra trading post has some for about 30 bucks on close out, don't know if its the same one but looks simple enough. The one I remeber was black and green, but the sale on this one ends 4/25, and I thank you for this post since I am ordering one right now. Good luck.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X