Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

upper Kenai 2/25/11

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • upper Kenai 2/25/11

    Hey all, I am new to the forum. Fished the upper with 2 buddies yesterday. A lot of Silvers still hanging around and one friend caught one that was chrome, definitely a keeper 5 months ago. Warm temps but the wind was gusting at probably 35-40 and casting was no joke. had to south paw it or cast backhand to keep from hitting myself in the head. Anyway we caught a lot of untargeted silvers and one friend managed 1 dolly bout 20'' swinging leaches. All in all, good day to be out on the water.

    just a couple more casts,
    aksnowfish

  • #2
    Originally posted by aksnowfish View Post
    Hey all, I am new to the forum. Fished the upper with 2 buddies yesterday. A lot of Silvers still hanging around and one friend caught one that was chrome, definitely a keeper 5 months ago. Warm temps but the wind was gusting at probably 35-40 and casting was no joke. had to south paw it or cast backhand to keep from hitting myself in the head. Anyway we caught a lot of untargeted silvers and one friend managed 1 dolly bout 20'' swinging leaches. All in all, good day to be out on the water.

    just a couple more casts,
    aksnowfish
    Right On! Was down there myself today, the wind was no joke! The day consisted of us Casting a few dozen times, then heading back to the truck to warm the hands. We probably fished 4 hours and only landed one Silver. Didn't see any 'bows or dollies. One guy said he saw someone catch a nice dolly yesterday, perhaps that was you..

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Black articulated leeches!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

      Comment


      • #4
        Yea mr potato head likes those black leeches! And if he's not hungry there is usually some chrome behind him that will grab it.

        Comment


        • #5
          Trout like them to
          Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

          Comment


          • #6
            Its my opinion that those silvers are in their spawning beds. Given that they are quite a unique run of silvers, I don't know why there is even angling allowed at that bridge right now. It seems to me that from January to about April that area should be off-limits. I'm pretty sure it's the same few people fishing there and they only do it because they're so addicted to the sport they're reduced to standing on ladders because its too cold to stand in the water. I would urge the F&G to close this in the future for the winter.
            sigpic




            I'm taking a poll
            <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

            Comment


            • #7
              And while they're at it they should close the Russian River because a special run of reds run up it, and they should close the Situk River because steelhead spawn there. You have to be kidding me. Those old silvers are tired and hardly fight. They are inadvertently caught and quickly released. No harm done.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by AKGrayling View Post
                And while they're at it they should close the Russian River because a special run of reds run up it, and they should close the Situk River because steelhead spawn there. You have to be kidding me. Those old silvers are tired and hardly fight. They are inadvertently caught and quickly released. No harm done.
                I'm not trying to be hostel, I like to fish like everyone else....I'm just saying a 3 month break from january to april, thats all. How about a buffer zone then?
                sigpic




                I'm taking a poll
                <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

                Comment


                • #9
                  well I think that would make it Jan till Jun 11 if I am not mistaken..............if memory serves me right the hole upper closes and parts of the middle????????? from May first so depending on when they would shut it down you would get a little bit of time in April. I don't think they are spawning there?????? I think they are going further up??????? But regardless it would be a tough pill to swallow for some people good idea or not.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by fullbush View Post
                    I'm not trying to be hostel, I like to fish like everyone else....I'm just saying a 3 month break from january to april, thats all. How about a buffer zone then?
                    Well said from a Commercial fisherman who wants to outlaw all sport fishing. You guys are all the same. Next you will be saying that we should stay at home and eat fish that you provide to the stores. You can do it cheaper and with less polluting the water and not as much wasted fish……………………………..

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Fishing for trout and catching spawning fish is a lot like the commercial by catch issue. We don't need to be harassing spawning fish but at the same time, we should also stop bycatch. Better shut down commercial fishing.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Do not think the fish are spawning right now anyway.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I do see fullbush's point. Makes me think about it. If there's fresh ones in the river I'm sure there are some spawning. Though its unintentional, its also inevitable to catch them. I don't know what to think about it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Raptor_1 View Post
                            Trout like them to
                            That's the chrome I am talking about.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by FishKing View Post
                              Well said from a Commercial fisherman who wants to outlaw all sport fishing. You guys are all the same. Next you will be saying that we should stay at home and eat fish that you provide to the stores. You can do it cheaper and with less polluting the water and not as much wasted fish……………………………..
                              Aw FishKing I'm a sport fisherman too, so don't be hatin' I'm not a fan of PU but sports fishing is perfectly acceptable, I'm a sports fishing fanatic. I'm just concerned for a really unique coho run thats all. I thought a little closure to insure survival wouldn't hurt much but it seems a few guys are pretty passionate about it so maybe a small buffer zone, like no fishing above the bridge. Now then I have to go prepare my crash helmet for the stoning I'm gonna take for that suggestion
                              sigpic




                              I'm taking a poll
                              <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X