Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A thorough report on catch and release practices.

I came across this report recently called "Catch-and-release angling: A review with guidelines for proper fish handling practices". You can doiwnload the .pdf its a 15 page report packed with useful information. It was published in 2005. It goes into much greater depth than the summary guidelines given by the OP. I found it very interesting, and it reinforced practices I already employ in C&R fishing. However, through the studies cited in the report it helps you understand why you must employ careful fish handling techniques. Just do an internet search for the title and it should come right up OR follow the link I posted below.

I urge everyone on this forum to read this article.

www.wildtroutstreams.com/CatchRelease/catch_and_release_review_and_guidelines.pdf

P.S. Anyone else think ADF&G should make people pass a written test for a fishing license just like one would have to pass for a drivers license or CDL? Given the amount of C&R that is basically mandated by the regs (not allowing the retention of fish 16" or bigger on many streams) there should be a knowledge requirement of some kind.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzyman87 View Post
      there are always a few boneheads that have to get mouthy because they think that they are the gods of fishing.
      Amen brother...

Originally posted by bigfish6025 View Post
      P.S. Anyone else think ADF&G should make people pass a written test for a fishing license just like one would have to pass for a drivers license or CDL? Given the amount of C&R that is basically mandated by the regs (not allowing the retention of fish 16" or bigger on many streams) there should be a knowledge requirement of some kind.
      Should we also install ignition-lock breathalyzers in every vehicle and have everyone micro-chipped??
      Gimmie a break - this isn't Kalifornistan!!

(P.S. Maybe the mods should have preemptively locked this post...)
      "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

I didnt want to come back with some knee-jerk response to Cube, so I've been doing a little research instead. Thing is, I cant find Kalifornistan anywhere on the map. A google search only turned up links to a b-movie. Dang. Oh well. At any rate, I hope the PS to my last post didnt have so strong of authoritarian underpinnings that it discredited the link I provided to that informative report on catch and release fishing. I can assure you that the report is not a propaganda piece. The author does cite alot of studies to support his claims to which I am curious about how the study was conducted- specifically the tagging and releasing of fish followed by a count of survivors and morts (how do you do that job and where do I apply for it?). Nowhere in the report does the author advocate microchipping fishermen to find out where their honey holes are though. Its not like that. We're just on here because we care about the fish right?

Comment

I didnt want to come back with some knee-jerk response to Cube, so I've been doing a little research instead. Thing is, I cant find Kalifornistan anywhere on the map. A google search only turned up links to a b-movie. Dang. Oh well. At any rate, I hope the PS to my last post didnt have so strong of authoritarian underpinnings that it discredited the link I provided to that informative report on catch and release fishing. I can assure you that the report is not a propaganda piece. The author does cite alot of studies to support his claims to which I am curious about how the study was conducted- specifically the tagging and releasing of fish followed by a count of survivors and morts (how do you do that job and where do I apply for it?). Nowhere in the report does the author advocate microchipping fishermen to find out where their honey holes are though. Its not like that. We're just on here because we care about the fish right?
          Sorry BigFish, It wasn't meant to be a personal attack - Over reaching government just irks me to no end and the last thing I want to see is more red tape when someone wants to go fishing... That being said though, I'm happy to pay for my yearly fishing license and make my regular donation to Trout Unlimited in the name of conservation. I'd just hate to have relatives come visit and not be able to take them fishing because they have to go pass a test somewhere...

To your credit, I did read the link you posted in its entirety. Good info... I was surprised to read that the author advocates NOT using a net whenever possible. Also VERY surprised to see the mortality rate of the fish that were released correctly!

P.S. I used to be heavily involved in the firearms community, specifically precision shooting, and 'Kalifornistan' is what we call California because of its authoritarian gun laws. Do a search for 'Kalifornistan AR-15' to see it used in a sentence :-P
          "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

Comment

Hey, I agree with you anyway. Red tape sucks and it would definitely suck for visiting friends and relatives. And isnt that what alot of tourists are anyway- some resident's friend or relative?

I was super surprised about the net thing too. I use a rubber web landing net when I have to net one. But I was also ultimately dismayed by the number of fish that die even when you do everything right.

Oh, and how about the part about fish being able to dislodge hooks you leave in them? I always thought they rusted out, but it actually makes more sense that a fish will work them out with their own mouth parts.

Full disclosure: I'm originally from California (i know!). Had to administer an estate sale there a few years ago (very sad) and I took cash + trade for a sweet old Winchester 30-30 for this vehicle I had to sell. So anyway some guy takes me aside and says its illegal what I'm doing without a gun dealer, etc! I didnt know that. Its not illegal up here and I never had cause or interest in owning a gun in CA. Nor do I really care about posting it on a public forum. I thought it was funny and got the heck back up here real quick with my 30-30. One less gun in California is not such a bad thing IMO, theres too many wack jobs in hiding there. At least the wack jobs up here are pretty open about it and usually nice guys anyway... So I guess what I'm saying in this long long ramble is if you dont like the rules where you live then move. I don't know why anyone who values personal freedom would want to live in CA anyway there's alot more BS than restrictive gun laws going on there...

Comment

But I was also ultimately dismayed by the number of fish that die even when you do everything right.
              As I (and others) have said before, if we really wanted to preserve fish and not have any impact on them, we would stop fishing for them altogether. As long as we go fishing we're going to cause some fish mortality, even with proper C&R practices and the best of intentions. (Not to mention scars and mouth deformations that fish may recover from but I would have to assume impacts feeding and stress levels.) I guess that's a moral issue we all have to contend with, and I suppose the level of effort we go to to reduce our impacts and fish mortality in C&R situations is ultimately related to our level of respect for the fish and their ecosystems. Personally, I've never had any doubt that some of the fish I've released were going to die, and I've made my peace with that.

Regarding nets, I stand by my earlier statement. Get a rubber net (which can be obtained at a most reasonable price) and use it as needed. I'm not saying net every fish you hook, but when you've got moderate to big fish in areas where it can be difficult to lead them to hand, a net is better than playing a fish to absolute exhaustion or risking banging it up on the rocks in an effort to get it near/to shore. My $.02

Thus, injury (and therefore mortality) can be reduced if the use of landing nets is limited to those instances where their use is required to safely land and control fish to prevent mechanical injury. However, when the use of a landing net is required or preferred, it is best to use one made of rubber or knotless mesh.
              Anyway, very interesting article. Thanks for posting, bigfish!
              Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

Originally posted by cube01 View Post
                I was surprised to read that the author advocates NOT using a net whenever possible...
                A lot of people think that nets are the solution.....(not saying they do not have a place on the water)

...........:sleep:............
                I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Comment

I always use barbless hooks so it is easier to release the fish off the hook so it won't be harmed.
                  "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
                  -Henry David Thoreau

Comment

To those who love the Lama me included. If your going to use a #2 hook smash the barb. Just caught a very nice Parks bow with 5/8 cone head and #2 hook lodge in this fishes face. I had crimp the barb to get it out. Or maybe learn how to land a nice fish.

Comment

Sounds like a few of you need to get laid or something. There's no reason to get that fired up about anything on a fishing forum! The rest of you are cool. And my two cents, I use light tippet. I don't use a net, but I'm not against them. If I can't land the fish without making him go belly up downstream upon release, snap! There goes the biggest fish of my life (all lost fish are the biggest I have ever hooked) and my favorite fly. And for the record, 99% of my lost flies are either buried in a log jam (I know there was a fish there!) or in a tree I couldn't get to. I might lose one fly in a given year to a rainbow's mouth. I am okay with those stats. I am also okay with drinking while fishing. Why don't you guys tear each other's heads off about that one for awhile....

Comment

I bet you carry a gun too!

Sent while partying

Alaska swamp man pro staff
                        I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
                        but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X