Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6mm or 8mm beads on the Upper Kenai in late Sept...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 6mm or 8mm beads on the Upper Kenai in late Sept...

    Just that simple (for you). I am pretty torn but can't find 7mm beads anywhere

    Getting ready to come up Sept 18-30 and will be on the Upper Kenai fishing for bows the whole time.

    What size beads would you stock up on?


    -Dan
    46
    6mm
    13.04%
    6
    8mm
    19.57%
    9
    Both used equally as often
    15.22%
    7
    6mm most the time, but 8mm at times
    26.09%
    12
    8mm most the time, but 6mm at times
    26.09%
    12
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

  • #2
    Originally posted by danattherock View Post
    Just that simple (for you). I am pretty torn but can't find 7mm beads anywhere

    Getting ready to come up Sept 18-30 and will be on the Upper Kenai fishing for bows the whole time.

    What size beads would you stock up on?


    -Dan
    Dan
    Stop in at Worldwide Angler on Lake Otis when you get in, if you get there before they close, they have 7mm beads.
    I've already told you I use 8mm about 90 percent of the time, but I also use 6,7 and 10mm beads as well.
    sigpic
    www.arcticangler.ca
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

    Comment


    • #3
      do those things catch fish?

      Comment


      • #4
        yup....they work well. If they didnt they wouldnt have made a fly only water where beads were illegal (which was the intent of what the people were going after, to make beads illegal).

        I'm not a big bead fan, I do carry some, have no clue what size they are LOL!

        I can tell you how to paint them though if you dont already know. Use a small paper lunch sack and some white (or your choice) spray paint. Paint the inside of the bag with paint, drop in beads and shake and bake....works like a champ. Dont ask what kind of paint you'll have to explore your own....I THINK I used some whiteish testors spray, but it's been so long I dont honestly remember.

        Comment


        • #5
          My wife hates beads She says they never workroud: We use them in the fall and they do work well.
          Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by alaskachuck View Post
            My wife hates beads She says they never workroud: We use them in the fall and they do work well.
            They do work... Sometimes they are ALL that will work on the smaller streams as the fish really key in on eggs... The technique can be difficult to master though - A dead drift with NO drag is absolutely necessary, then set the hook when you feel the line hesitate. Also color can be key - if the fish are eating older eggs, a fresh roe colored bead is not going to work where a peach color will!

            Don't get me wrong, I love nymphing and traditional fly fishing - I almost dread the salmon showing up because it means I'll have to switch to beads, but I do it because they work!
            "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." -A River Runs Through It

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks for the comments guys. To be honest, I could give two shets about fishing beads. I don't wake up thinking about it. I would rather be swinging leeches in a gin clear stream myself. However, to be a fisherman, you must be adaptive. And for me, that means learning how to fish beads and doing it well. My mending skills are fair at best and I know little about selecting a bead size, bead color, or when to change. A very random selection of "Hey, that looks good", to "Hmm maybe this would be better", to plain ole "F*#K it, I will try this one". Just fished them for the first time last year and while I got some fish, my results were mediocre. Hoping to do better this year. I do appreciate your input here as always. I am a little smarter today than yesterday because of it. Admittingly, that ain't saying much.


              -Dan
              The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by danattherock View Post
                Thanks for the comments guys. To be honest, I could give two shets about fishing beads. I don't wake up thinking about it. I would rather be swinging leeches in a gin clear stream myself. However, to be a fisherman, you must be adaptive. And for me, that means learning how to fish beads and doing it well. My mending skills are fair at best and I know little about selecting a bead size, bead color, or when to change. A very random selection of "Hey, that looks good", to "Hmm maybe this would be better", to plain ole "F*#K it, I will try this one". Just fished them for the first time last year and while I got some fish, my results were mediocre. Hoping to do better this year. I do appreciate your input here as always. I am a little smarter today than yesterday because of it. Admittingly, that ain't saying much.


                -Dan
                You woman kicked ass on beads last year and you will this year. Plus with the time frame your coming up we will be moving into flesh and a few other things. Just watch what Miss Carrie does and you will be fine
                Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

                Comment


                • #9
                  That biitch has two left hands and couldn't catch a fish in a fish hatchery


                  But she does follow directions better than me:rolleyes:


                  Looking forward to another chance on the bows this year. I have one haunting memory of the one that got away (twice) last year. Likely a 24-26" bow from what I saw both times I hooked it and it jumped.

                  Or as Dave would say, a 30"+
                  The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you're feeling crafty, you can make some beads! I did it and they turned out pretty sweet. Much more natural colors than shiny plastic ones. Honestly I haven't tried them yet though...so I guess I have to see how effective they are first! I'm also worried if they are just going to break on the rocks bouncing around the bottom of the river (beads are clay). You can have a look come palooza time. I have plenty.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I voted 6 and 8 equally. Stock up on both. Throw in a few colors of 10mm too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by bowdy15 View Post
                        I'm also worried if they are just going to break on the rocks bouncing around the bottom of the river (beads are clay). You can have a look come palooza time. I have plenty.

                        They should be fine man. My buddy made a bunch of the Claymore eggs for a float trip in SW a few years ago. He also took some to emulate chum eggs on one of our arctic NW floats. They worked and he caught some fish. Like I said, my interest in beads has previously been quite low so I didn't use them. I don't recall him having any issues with durability. Link below with some info that may be of interest to you. See you in Sept man.

                        http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/clayegg.html


                        -Dan
                        The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          yea I tried to cheat and not drill and just poke a toothpick through before I baked them. Now I think the holes may be too big for a toothpick. I might just have to loop the leader around them, or run 2 pegits in opp. directions through the bead. Well see though! Thanks for the link, same technique and everything I used.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            My buddy is a cheap basterd. I almost guarantee you that he used the toothpicks to make the holes. They worked fine from what I recall. Sounds like you have some good back up ideas just in case, but I bet they work fine.
                            The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by bowdy15 View Post
                              If you're feeling crafty, you can make some beads.
                              Been thinking on this and you got me curious. Where did you buy the clay? If I can find an online retailer, I might give it a try. My buddy made some several years ago with clay from a local craft store. I am interested in making some 7mm beads. Posting here rather than a PM in case anyone reading this might have a clue. Any suggestions on where to buy (online) or the basic process you used would be cool. Curious how to maintain uniformity. Might have to invent something volumetric that will result in the desired size bead at the end. Proof on some micrometers. Sounds tedious. Just what I need to occupy these last few weeks before I fly up.


                              -Dan
                              The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X