Fly reels with lifetime warranties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fly reels with lifetime warranties

As the title states, I am hoping to get some responses in regards to 8wt. fly reels with lifetime warranties. I am especially interested in the fly reels that are $100-$200 such as a Redington, which there are likely few of.

Thanks,
    Chad

You can have one of the very best, a Ross Momentum, for $225. They are on sale at Cabelas (normally $445). Comes in gold, black, and blue.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...=cat21430&rid=

Some reels I have and are very fond of are Ross Evolution and Lamson Velocity. The Lamson is on sale for $179 (from $256). Both are great reels that should provide years of good service. Check, but both have lifetime warranties I think.

http://www.waterworks-lamson.com/closeouts.html

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/2...y-Reel-V3.html

Generally speaking, I value the lifetime warranty on rods more than the reels. Not much to go wrong on a quality reel if you take proper care of it. Keep it clean and in a case and such when not in use. A lightly oiled rag here and there on the exterior surface. Occasional bath in the sink with some warm water. You get the jist. However, I will not buy a rod without a lifetime warranty. Murphy's Law and all

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

lifetime reels...

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
      You can have one of the very best, a Ross Momentum, for $225. They are on sale at Cabelas (normally $445).

Some reels I have and are very fond of are Ross Evolution and Lamson Velocity. The Lamson is on sale for $179 (from $256).
      Both great choices! In fact, if I wasn't recently married, I'd go buy one - or at least the Momentum! For an extra 25 bucks more than your budget, you get a reel that should work forever. BEFORE I was married, I would amortize the budget overage for what I assumed to be the rest of my life, which (in this case) would work out to be less that a buck a year. Today, and in full disclosure, I'm not sure this strategy would hold a whole lot of water my better-half.

On a side note, I see that they have discontinued the Ross Canyon - which is a shame as far as I'm concerned. I'd add it to the "great reels" list...I wonder if you could buy one on Ebay for what your looking to pay?

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Others?

Thanks for the responses suggesting the Ross and Lamson fly reels. They are great reels, but a little out of my price range for now. I mentioned that I was looking for fly reels between $100 and $200, but I believe I can get the Redington for closer to $125. The Redington is silky smooth and has a lifetime warranty, which is why I am considering it, but I wanted to see if there are any other fly reels with lifetime guarantees that are comparable in price. Any other suggestions?

Chad

Comment

If you want a good 8 weight reel that won't break the bank, look on e-bay for the older Scientific Anglers system II 78 reels that were made in England. These are Hardy marqui reels that were made for SA. You can get used ones for $50-60 if your patient. No lifetime warranty, but they are very good reels for the $.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

reels

pflugger trion

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the Scientific Angler, but have been contemplating the Pflueger Trion (though no lifetime warranty).

Comment

I don't think there is a lifetime warrenty but I use Okuma reels and have been pleased with them. I have a magnitude and an SVL which both cost less than $100.
                It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Elkhorn

Check out the Elkhorn T-series reels. The T-3 (7/8 wt.) is $189. These reels are smooth as can be and have a great warranty. I have a T-2 and love it.

http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/home.cfm

Comment

Here's a direct link to the T-series.

http://www.elkhornflyrodandreel.com/reels/t_series.cfm

Comment

Sounds like you are pretty set on the reddington. I have not personally used their reels, but I'd imagine it would work good. I know that you can't go wrong with the american made ROSS though.

Fish On!
                      You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by chadakin View Post

have been contemplating the Pflueger Trion

They are decent reels for the money. A bit heavy for my taste, but made well from what I have seen. I have some on a 4wt. Later got some Orvis Battenkill for the 4 wt that I like much better. Like most things, you get what you pay for. But you could do much worse than the Trion for sure. I have some Redington reels too. Got them for my 8 wt but later got Ross Evolutions. Below I will rank the reels spoke of here in my opinion. They all get the job done of course. If money is an issue, I suggest considering less money in the reel and more in the rod.

Best to worst...(to me)

Ross Evolution
                        Lamson Velocity
                        Orvis Battenkill
                        Plueger Trion
                        Reddington
                        The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

well, the orvis midarbor battenkill and the redington CD are almost identical in the spool and drag construction, so much so that the spools interchange - if memory serves. I too like the orvis better.

I have an orvis midarbor for a 5wt. Seems to have alot of drag and drag range (too much, as it almost freespools in the lightest setting).

I wouldn't be as concerned about warranty as with keeping these reels out of salt entirely, or at least giving them a good soak and/or rinse with freshwater after each and every day of use in salt or brackish water. The other option (fishing with corroded/fouled drag and reel parts) is not pleasant, and only resolvable by sending back to the manufacturer for repair, if even possible..

Comment

Picked up a Ross Rhythm 3 months ago for $155.00.Ross has a new model out so I got a good deal..It's the 3rd one I have ,,good reel...

Comment

Originally posted by Trout Man View Post
                              Picked up a Ross Rhythm 3 months ago for $155.00.Ross has a new model out so I got a good deal..It's the 3rd one I have ,,good reel...
                              The Ross rep at the Mt. View booth at the Sportsman's show talked me into buying the replacement for the Rhythm. It seems like a pretty good reel.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X