Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bear fence

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • bear fence

    Has anyone tried an electric fence while camping? Any opinions?

  • #2
    that is on my list of stuff to get for whenever I get my chance to do a Dall Sheep hunt...I was wondering the same thing
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Hunting Archives

      If you guys jump over to the hunting forum and search the old threads, there has been good discussions about bear fences, most who have used them are strongly in favor, but there are also some good tips regarding grounding, batteries, etc.

      Comment


      • #4
        Fence

        The one I put up ever year --lets me sleep better at night....
        The only thing I had to make it bigger---more poles and wire--that thing will throw sparks if it touches wet underbrush.
        I don't want MR. BEAR getting to close E-K-C

        Comment


        • #5
          Our family cabin has had a solar-fencer for years, other cabins have been trashed, we've never had a problem. I'd still sleep with my .44 if I was out tent-camping though!

          -J

          Comment


          • #6
            We got an electric fence to take on our yearly float trips. It weighs about 4 lbs, runs on two D batteries, and fits in a bag the size of a 2L soda bottle. Very lightweight and portable kit. You can see it at the website, www.udap.com You can buy it on this website, but Cabelas was selling a similar UDAP fence a while back so check there and compare. Not sure if they are exactly identical or not.

            Below is a picture of our electric fence. Plenty of room to enclose a tent. We got our raft and tent in it with about 3-4 feet around that.

            The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by danattherock View Post
              We got an electric fence to take on our yearly float trips. It weighs about 4 lbs, runs on two D batteries, and fits in a bag the size of a 2L soda bottle. Very lightweight and portable kit. You can see it at the website, www.udap.com You can buy it on this website, but Cabelas was selling a similar UDAP fence a while back so check there and compare. Not sure if they are exactly identical or not.

              Below is a picture of our electric fence. Plenty of room to enclose a tent. We got our raft and tent in it with about 3-4 feet around that.

              Hey Dan, looks good. I'm looking for a fence too. Have you noticed any problems with grounding issues on the gravel bars? Do you think the bear net from Electro Guard is worth the extra $100. I hate to spend more than I have to but a extra $100 is well worth it if its a better buy.
              http://www.electrobearguard.com/Product.html
              Thanks
              Don

              Comment


              • #8
                I talked with the guy at Electrobearguard, but in the end, could not tolerate the heavy weight of that kit on our bush flights. If I recall correctly, it weighed about 25 lbs. However, it would be ideal on gravel bars if weight was not an issue. For me, it was not an option. I read up on the subject a lot, and in the end, felt good about the UDAP kit. There is only one ground stake, so getting it deep in the sand, beneath the grave, is important. But even with a poor ground, when the bear hits both wires, a shock is delivered. With a proper ground, the first wire will deliver the shock. I did not test the current with a voltmeter or anything, but I did do the grab test (once). It worked
                The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by danattherock View Post
                  But even with a poor ground, when the bear hits both wires, a shock is delivered. With a proper ground, the first wire will deliver the shock. I did not test the current with a voltmeter or anything, but I did do the grab test (once). It worked


                  It's hard to imagine that a bear could only hit one wire. If he can mange to sneak through the wires of an electric fence, I imagine I am in trouble anyway.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Bear fence

                    The fence that I got is called bear shock-- it is manufactured by a grizzly bear survivor--it weighs about 4 lbs.---You can get at SW if they have any stock:rolleyes:... E-K-C --- ERIC
                    Last edited by E-K-C; 03-26-2009, 22:26. Reason: ADD PIC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by windswept View Post


                      It's hard to imagine that a bear could only hit one wire.

                      .


                      I agree, and that is largely why I felt confident in using the UDAP kit on gravel bars where grounding can be less than ideal. If he sneaks through the wires, it is just my time to go
                      The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Tip for you all

                        If your looking for a bear fence call Keenan at Fence Emporium in Palmer.

                        He doesn't sell one with a cool lookin bear on the package but he will put one together for you of any size and a heck of a lot cheaper than the ones marketed as a bear fence.

                        $180 bucks for mine and it will make a 40ft run on all 4 sides with 3 or 4 wires.

                        He also sells many units to fish and game and government agencies.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm not sold on portable electric fences. I think its way, way more important to keep a clean camp and keep food/garbage separate from a sleeping area. Although I might sleep a little more soundly with an electric fence, the number of instances of bears getting into clean tents and hurting people are probably less than the number of folks getting struck by lightning in AK. If I used one it would be around game meat or my raft, I'm always more worried about bears deciding to eat my ride than anything else.

                          I guess the bottom line is don't let an electric fence trick you into thinking you are totally safe, I'd much rather just have bear not want into camp than a bear wanting to and having a fence.
                          I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Nothing is perfect

                            Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
                            I'm not sold on portable electric fences. I think its way, way more important to keep a clean camp and keep food/garbage separate from a sleeping area. Although I might sleep a little more soundly with an electric fence, the number of instances of bears getting into clean tents and hurting people are probably less than the number of folks getting struck by lightning in AK. If I used one it would be around game meat or my raft, I'm always more worried about bears deciding to eat my ride than anything else.

                            I guess the bottom line is don't let an electric fence trick you into thinking you are totally safe, I'd much rather just have bear not want into camp than a bear wanting to and having a fence.

                            I've used fences several times in high bear areas (Moraine Creek and Lower Talarik ring a bell) and while there is no replacement for a clean camp etc. fences offer you two things. One, when you are in camp at night, sound asleep, they offer you a little buffer between a wet nose on your tent compared to a little commotion of a shocked bear that is thinking twice before getting more curious. It's like an electric string of pots and pans (insert memory of old burlglar alarms here) Two, when you are not at camp, (even a clean one) browns are just darn curious and they love chewing rafts etc. so this makes them even more important as that raft is your only way to get down that river, and it's doubtful that repairs will be made after a bear gets done with his fun while you are off fishing, picking berries whatever. Many a man has floated a river without one and done just fine, that said, I won't fault anyone for taking one, in most situations, I think they are more handy than a boomstick.

                            It's not about avoiding ending up like Timothy Treadwell, it's about keeping your stuff from getting rolled around and chewed to heck causing major inconvenience to your trip. 99 percent of bears won't cause a lick of trouble, but, that one that does will leave at the very least severely annoyed.

                            A lot of the need depends on where you go in the bush. If you are floating Moraine or camping at Lower Talarik.....yes, if you are floating the Wood River Lakes....NO. Each area has different densities and attitudes when it comes to bears. High Density areas with little hunting seem to offer more meddlesome or curious bears whereas places where a bears knows exactly what a biped can do to their furry butt usually have more cautious browns (I can't even get a decent picture of one in the Wood River Lakes, Togiak, or Nushagak). What happens in high man use areas with cleaning tables and garbage cans....you are on your own...I'm not familiar.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Catch It View Post

                              What happens in high man use areas with cleaning tables and garbage cans....you are on your own...I'm not familiar.

                              Me either and plan on keeping it that way for the most part. I do know that on our recent trip to NW Alaska, I slept better with the fence. Like you said, at a minimum, the poles would make some noise to alert me if a bear was coming at the tent. In these situations, a few seconds to get your bearing may make the difference. At any rate, I see no downside to taking one. Especially now that you can buy one that weighs 4 lbs like the UDAP kit.
                              The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X