Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bead Boxes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bead Boxes

    I've been looking for Bead Boxes on the net, but I can't seem to settle on one. Any Recommendations? I've seen some that look promising, while others look like trouble. I've seen some that have one single lid for all the compartments, which I think might not be too good if your were to drop it. I would think individual lids for each compartment would be best. What do you think? Thanks for any input.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  • #2
    The bead-box of choice at AFFG.

    That, or the 9-compartment one for 6mm beads.

    Both are great.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Alaskaflyfishinggoods is an awesome place to buy from.

      I have a near identical box, maybe the same, made by Meiho. I have two of them and the beads/toothpicks/splitshot are all in the boxes. Two boxes of more or less the same stuff, just different beads.

      Nice thing about these boxes is that they are small enough to fit in your chest pocket on your vest. I prefer several small boxes to one big box for this reason. Also, these Meiho boxes are tough and would be near impossible to break or accidentally open on you. What a mess that would be standing knee deep in the water.

      Got mine from Wilderness Angler's store on Ebay. But they have a website you can order directly from as well. Nice folks and I have ordered from them a few times. They sell the beads of as well. "Troutbeads" brand.

      http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=1247

      The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

      Comment


      • #4
        After comparing the box at www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com and the Meiho boxes I have, I think they are identical or near identical anyway. I like the larger size of the one G Smolt put a link to as they would hold more. Another plus in getting them from AFFG is that you can order some of those cool looking "Custom" painted beads Slick looking stuff. Link below.

        http://www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com...uct-flyer.html
        The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

        Comment


        • #5
          If I were to have $50 to spend on a box I'd get a CF designs half 12 compartment and half pinch foam for big flies, I like to carry the eggs and flesh in the same box, with a streamer and a nymph somewhere too, just in case
          I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

          Comment


          • #6
            Alaska Fly Shop?

            Did you check the Ak Fly Shop?
            I like that shop when I'm in Fairbanks.
            Good end of season deals on rods too, I recall. In fact, PM me if they're phasing out any TCRs!

            They're next to Sophie's Station (1875 University Ave. Fairbanks) - 456-3010. Good luck.
            No habitat, no hunter.

            Comment


            • #7
              Bead box tip:
              Take a flexible refriderator magnet, cut to fit in the bin dthat will hold your hooks. Epoxy it magnet side up to hold your (non-stainless) hooks.

              George

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by danattherock View Post
                Alaskaflyfishinggoods is an awesome place to buy from.

                I have a near identical box, maybe the same, made by Meiho. I have two of them and the beads/toothpicks/splitshot are all in the boxes. Two boxes of more or less the same stuff, just different beads.

                Nice thing about these boxes is that they are small enough to fit in your chest pocket on your vest. I prefer several small boxes to one big box for this reason. Also, these Meiho boxes are tough and would be near impossible to break or accidentally open on you. What a mess that would be standing knee deep in the water.

                Got mine from Wilderness Angler's store on Ebay. But they have a website you can order directly from as well. Nice folks and I have ordered from them a few times. They sell the beads of as well. "Troutbeads" brand.

                http://www.wildernessangler.com/servlet/Detail?no=1247

                I second Dan's advice all around. I have two of these I picked up years ago for nymphing (except mine are yellow and have a different model number, but they're the exact same box:rolleyes. I really like them, and they're great for beads.

                Wilderness Angler has provided great service in the past.
                Pursue happiness with diligence.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by George Riddle View Post
                  Bead box tip:
                  Take a flexible refriderator magnet, cut to fit in the bin dthat will hold your hooks. Epoxy it magnet side up to hold your (non-stainless) hooks.

                  George

                  Nice tip, George

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    bead box

                    Hey Dan,
                    I use one of these P-line bead boxes. Mt. View Sports sells the empty box, I don't really care for the selection that comes in the P-line box. For hooks, I use Tiemco 2457's in size 8 for 10mm and 12mm beads, and size 10 for 6mm and 8mm. I tie my own leaders, and use 18-24" of 1x Rio Flouroflex tippet. As for bead color and size, it depends on how long the fish have been dropping, what type of salmon are present, and also by trial and error.


                    Jake
                    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Those multi bin boxes are really nice, but I like one large compartment. Downside is you can dump the whole box of beads if you're not careful. Here is what I use (Altoids container) and the price is right. Like George mentioned, glue a fridge magnet to the lid for hooks. I lined the bottom and half the lid with foam to deaden the noise and to attach flies. I also cut 1/4" strips of bike inner tube to secure the lid.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        bead box and info

                        I just realized that I posted my info about bead fishing in the wrong thread. I meant to post the second part in DantheRock's thread about how to fish beads. Sorry.


                        Jake
                        All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Wow, Thanks everyone. All Great Suggestions. Yes I've checked out the AK fly shop, all they had was traditional fly boxes. Wilderness Angler and AFFG are both great shops, I've gotten great deals from both of them. Great Posts!

                          Fish On!
                          You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


                          http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jakec5253 View Post
                            I just realized that I posted my info about bead fishing in the wrong thread. I meant to post the second part in DantheRock's thread about how to fish beads. Sorry.


                            Jake
                            Thanks for the info Jake. I do appreciate it.


                            George,

                            Great tip man. I will try that one.


                            Wyatt,

                            Thanks for the pictures of your high end state of the art bead box. I like it. Pics are worth a 1,000 words. Thank you for that.
                            The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

                            Comment

                            Footer Adsense

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X