Early dollys in Kodiak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early dollys in Kodiak

I just went out to Buskin lake today and there was a little bit of open water next to where the river starts. I put on my waders and waded to the edge of the ice and casted until my rod iced up (again). 4th times a charm, right?
    Has anyone caught anything on a fly yet this year? (it dosent have to be in Kodiak, but it sure would be nice to have some hope for the future)

I am waiting for break-up. I hope everything opens up sooner this year. Last year Buskin Lake did not really break up until May!
    Normally I am catching good numbers of fish by the 21st of April.

Comment

I think you got the right idea, look at streams flowing into lakes and theholes they create and fish smolty stuff you'll find a fish sometime
      I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Originally posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
        I think you got the right idea, look at streams flowing into lakes and theholes they create and fish smolty stuff you'll find a fish sometime
        So I just waded out to the where the ice was and casted towards the stream, but I was where the stream went out of the lake, not where it goes in.

Comment

I know, try the mouth of streams, this strategy is the most consistent early season technique for me

Comment

So, is where the Buskin river comes out of the Lake, the mouth, or are we talking about 2 different things...

Comment

where the river flows out, where you are fishing, thats the head, instead fish the mouth of the creek that flows into the lake if there is a big enough hole in the ice, good luck

Comment

thanks. I have never even seen the inflow, I will just plan to take an expedition around the lake until I find it. Just load up my pack with beer and waders and make a day of it.

Comment

With this cold front that is suppose to last a week I doubt you find any open water at the river mouths. Most of the streams flowing into the lake are just a trickle a nor running at all. Wait till after some warm weather and good rains. It should be worth a shot then.
                  But then again, noting wrong with venturing out just for the heck of it.

Comment

Honestly, I just need an excuse to get out of the house and put in some good quality beer drinking time with the dog.

Comment

I snowshoed into Buskin Lake yesterday, let me say, it does not look good for the home team. Very little open water. I cannot see any fishing till MAY. this is the most ice I have seen on the lake this time of year.
                      It is very depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by akflyfisher View Post
                        I snowshoed into Buskin Lake yesterday, let me say, it does not look good for the home team. Very little open water. I cannot see any fishing till MAY. this is the most ice I have seen on the lake this time of year.
                        It is very depressing.
                        Crapski... I thought it was looking good for us these last few days. OH well. I have some time to finish my fly tying table before the season starts. Tonight I am thawing out the last fillet of last years reds for dinner tonight. We just may starve soon if the ice doesnt go away soon.

Comment

I snowshoed out to the lake again yesterday, twice as much open water as last week but still not enough for any good fishing to to take place. I am guessing that the first fish of the year will be next weekend, about two weeks later than usual:-(

Comment

i went fishing in badger slough in north pole today and landed about 30 grayling. lots of fish in the slough right now i seen at least a hundred caught today in the short time i was there.

-Tight Lines & head shakin
                            sigpic

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X