any open water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any open water?

With spring break coming up in a week, and with me getting the itch, I thought I might try to drive somewhere and do some fishing. Does anybody know of anywhere with open water? I saw chuck got to the kenai, but I need somewhere to walk in. Or is there any open water on the kenai accesible by foot right now? Thanks

There are quite a few places to access the upper river by foot... stick to the bridge and the first few miles below the bridge if the wind allows. you can also hike into the middle river by foot from the lowe skilak boat launch. If you do, please let us know how you did.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Comment

hmm, thanks for the suggestions. Do you know about how long the hike is from the boat launch? Seems like it would be pretty far.

Comment

Chena River is open year around....even when I left town a few days ago..
        You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

Originally posted by griff View Post
          With spring break coming up in a week, and with me getting the itch, I thought I might try to drive somewhere and do some fishing. Does anybody know of anywhere with open water? I saw chuck got to the kenai, but I need somewhere to walk in. Or is there any open water on the kenai accesible by foot right now? Thanks

Just walk the ice shelf from the bridge down. There we many guys fishing the banks while we were there. There was also some guys fishing just below the princess rapids. Had a fire going on the bank and were casting in the back eddy from shore
          Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

thanks for the tips guys, I'll look into it. Have any other suggestions on other rivers? If i make it to the kenai I'll report back. Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by griff View Post
              hmm, thanks for the suggestions. Do you know about how long the hike is from the boat launch? Seems like it would be pretty far.
              It's a little more than a mile or so to hike to the braids from the lower launch. You can walk along the bank's edge and have pretty easy walking, but be careful on the ice shelfs if you go- they're pretty unpredictable. Better safe than sorry ya know.
              www.akfishology.com

Comment

Just wonderin

Im new to fly fishing and was just curious what fly would be good on the river this time of year.

Comment

the staples are beads/egg patterns, flesh patterns, and any kind of salmon fry/minnow immitation.
                  www.akfishology.com

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X