Get inspired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get inspired

Hey everyone season is jest around the corner... so what have you been tying this winter?
    I jest getting back into it and already tied a few dozen.
    I like the smaller stuff for trout 10 - 20 so how about giving me some ideas so I can get inspired to try to make.
    I will post pics of the ones that I make so you can get a laugh or two

Anyhow this what I have been tying so far----- this is my winged bi-visible--

Brown hackel peacock -- also made some glo- eggs and finised a dozen of first fly specials
    Come on and get me motivated

bi-visible

Have you had much luck with the bi-visible? I found the pattern in one of my books yesterday, and tied up a few. I tied them in both black and white, and brown and white, in size 12-16. I am anxious to give them a try this summer. They were pretty quick to tie, and didn't even have to mess with that dang hair stacker.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Comment

Bi-visible

It is a good high floater-- great to watch them get eaten / white helps to see it better you might want too tie olive and gray ones to they work well also.
      I tie with wings and without--I like the profile of the winged ones better.
      I hope this gives you a few more for the old fly box E-K-C

Comment

Great flies EKC...

Wow. Thanks for sharing.
        No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

I just started tying, so have found sticking with the simpler patterns helps.

I've also tied a mound of egg patterns in both chenille and glow bugs.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

I've tied up a few different patterns, but I cant find all the pics.

heres a basic flesh pattern that works VERY well. I went through my entire box, along with all my buddys, and all the store-bought flys were not catching. I tried one of these that i tied up the night before and it caught big 'bow after big 'bow.

Since i had a limited supply of those flesh flies, i tied a few more and tried an ESL. I ended up tying about 70 of the flesh flys in various colors.(stocking up for this fall)

And here is my first attempt at a wolly bugger. I didnt have all the correct materials, but it sure looks cool. I'll have to get the right stuff and tie some more.

Comment

thats a good attempt at a wooly bugger...

heres a tip when tying, tie on your marabou tail, then tie in your hackle right on top of the thread for the tail, then cut your chenille and strip the end to tie it on top of the hackle, bring your thread to the eye and leave it there. take your chenille and wrap it forward to the eye. take your thread and secure the chenille and leave it hanging there. grab the hackle and wind it forward to the eye and wrap and secure it. trim off the excess make a neat lil head and cement. presto! perfect bugger....

Comment

shrimp

Paul,
                I like the shrimp looking pattern, what would you use that for? It is very interesting.

Jake
                All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Comment

Shrimp

PAUL --I like your fly
                  I made this one 25 years ago- didn't use for anything- so if you catch fish on it let us know.
                  The pics aren't great but it has color inside the mylar and lost its fan tail.

Comment

Originally posted by jakec5253 View Post
                    Paul,
                    I like the shrimp looking pattern, what would you use that for? It is very interesting.

Jake
                    My friend who showed me the pattern said the sculpins are great for rainbows, dollies et al. He said he tied 150 last winter and didn't a single one left at the end of last summer.
                    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

E-K-C inspired me

Had a little spare time at work last night and tied up a few:
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	pink.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2461847

Name:	scud.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	2461848

A little pink for the silvers and an olive scud for the trout.
                      My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

another one

My picture quality isn't great, neither are my tying abilities

Name:	ptside.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	2461849

Name:	ptangled.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2461850
                        Occasionally I catch fish on these guys
                        My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Comment

Great job!

scott rn...
                          You made my day--Im glad to see other tiers getting the bug..
                          Im going to have to make a few to keep up with you-- I have been working on a secret project for this site...:rolleyes:
                          Anyhow keep it up and I will try to catch up... E-K-C......ERIC

Comment

My lips are sealed Eric! Except they could be pried open for a Moose's Tooth Raspberry Wheat

Originally posted by E-K-C View Post
                            I have been working on a secret project for this site...:rolleyes:
                            ERIC

Comment

EKC try using smaller hackle, get yourself a griffin or whiting hackle gauge, especially for those try flies, it will help you size hackle to the hook correctly
                              I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X