corkie size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• corkie size?

Going to fish the Kenai in Sept for bows and I need to order some corkies before I go. What size do you guys use? Thanks again.

If you are talking indicators, use #4's and #2's.
    sigpic

Comment

I dont know the number but the ones we use are about the diameter of a nickle
      Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Thingamabobber

Might want to give these things a look. They float much higher than Corkies and are easy to attach and change leader length if you are looking for a strike indicator!

Wyatt

Comment

I agree- go with the thingamabobber. Much better drift than corkies.

Comment

I have seen these thingawhatevers and I have to say they look very non flyfisherman like. I do apprerciate the input however, anyone else on this?

Comment

I just get mine at the sportsman warehouse. I think they run about 20 cents each. All colors you want. I have seen the thingamaboobers but I have been using corkies with great success so I will keep lugging them along
              Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

The only problem with the thingamabobbers is that they are very very light and are harder to cast than a corkie style indicator. But, they do float better than anything else out there. I normally use bobbers from Thill, they are football shaped and cast easier due to wind resistance. Not that any indicator rig makes for pretty casting, but I find that this helps me. Plus, the Thills are colored differently on each half so it gives me a better idea of how my drift is doing since I know which end leads to the hook....

Comment

I like yarn indicators. They adjust the same as the thingamajiggers, and come in tons of different colors, and sizes. You can even make your own with some egg pattern yarn and 1/4" o-rings, check it out on youtube. If you want them to float high you can hit them with a little gink. The down side is they will take on a little water when not treated with gink, but that can be beneficial when casting further distance with awkward nymph rigs. My best advice would be get some of each type and fish them at home and decide what you like best. Oh yeah, don't be surprised when a fish tries to eat one of them, I've even thought about hiding a trailer hook in one. Maybe I should try and market that. HMMMM

Comment

Thill

These are the ones I like to use from Cabelas. The top two sizes work best.

Comment

Originally posted by RandallT View Post
                      I like yarn indicators. They adjust the same as the thingamajiggers, and come in tons of different colors, and sizes. You can even make your own with some egg pattern yarn and 1/4" o-rings, check it out on youtube. If you want them to float high you can hit them with a little gink. The down side is they will take on a little water when not treated with gink, but that can be beneficial when casting further distance with awkward nymph rigs. My best advice would be get some of each type and fish them at home and decide what you like best. Oh yeah, don't be surprised when a fish tries to eat one of them, I've even thought about hiding a trailer hook in one. Maybe I should try and market that. HMMMM
                      I also use yarn indicators. I make my own out of polypropylene cord (I think it's called Maxi-Cord) and o-rings. The polypro is less dense than water so floats well, and the polypro won't absorb water nearly as bad as egg yarn. For $20 or so in materials I've got a lifetime supply that I can make any size.
                      Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

I tried the thing-a-ma-bobber a couple of years ago, I was Kokanee salmon fishing, here they are very very sublte takes, and in combination with pretty deep holes and heavy streamers/nymphs, I found the thingamabobbers to be top notch. I could detect very subtle takes because it would just wobble a bit. Took some learning but I've been sold since. I use them on high pressure waters and still don't have any problems.

Yarn would be my second option.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X