Ok besides the wooly bugger...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok besides the wooly bugger...

One fly, one size, one color for the rest of your life... What's it gonna be?

Me... Size 6 black stonefly nymph...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

silver/green clouser minnow size #4
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

#18 flashback pheasant tail

or

#18 prince if I could have a second one

Comment

On Board with Dan

One of the most productive flies ever is Bob Clouser's Minnow.

I have caught, Salmon Pacific and Atlantic, Walleye, Pearch, Small Mouth, Large Mouth, Brown, Rainbow, Lake and Brook Trout, Char/ Dollies which of course a Brook Trout and or Lake Trout are close. Bluegill, Rock Fish, Snook, Bone fish and just etc................... Fished from Alaska to Honduras always catches something from Fresh to Salt at one time or another.

Hard to beat a Clouser Minnow.

Comment

Size 18 Black zebra midge. For the lower 48 of course. I've caught from 6"- 24" Browns, Rainbows, and Cutts with these little dudes.
          Attached Files

Comment

muddler minnow - size 8

you can fish it high and dry as a hopper, caddis, or moth
            fish it in the the surface film as an emerging caddis or mayfly
            fish it on the bottom as a sculpin/darter/dace
            fish it mid-depth as a baitfish
            tumble it along a stream bottom when nymphing is in order

it's pretty versatile

i'd agree that a clouser rivals the wb for effectiveness when it comes to immitating baitfish. however, I'd miss fishing dries from time to time, so I'll stick with with the muddler.
            Pursue happiness with diligence.

Comment

I'd also have to go with the Clouser.

Comment

Bead-headed woolly bugger, or is that cheating? The real question is: imitation pattern, or attractor pattern. I'd go with an attractor every time.
                Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!

Comment

just one fly

If we are talking trout only, I would go with a size 14 tan Elk hair caddis. I think it is the most versitle dry fly, and it you don't using any kind of floatant on it, you could fish it subsurface like an emerger. Nothing quite like watching a trout take a dry.

Jake
                  All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Comment

I like leech patterns, (including articulated leeches)...

but, I've been liking stoneflies more each year- at least for Alaska:
                    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=284953

So I'll take Stoneflies, size 6 in black for $200, Alex.
                    No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

favorite fly

I don't use a huge variety of flies because a few of them work so well.

I guess I could do just fine the a black leach. It used to be the muddler minnow though.

Salmon, bows, grayling, dollies.

Comment

If I can't have a bugger...

A few of the above ideas are great - clouser, leech, but if I were going to have just one, I think I'd keep a #16 Copper John. Most days you can't keep a trout off of 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyo2AK View Post
                          muddler minnow - size 8

you can fish it high and dry as a hopper, caddis, or moth
                          fish it in the the surface film as an emerging caddis or mayfly
                          fish it on the bottom as a sculpin/darter/dace
                          fish it mid-depth as a baitfish
                          tumble it along a stream bottom when nymphing is in order

it's pretty versatile

i'd agree that a clouser rivals the wb for effectiveness when it comes to immitating baitfish. however, I'd miss fishing dries from time to time, so I'll stick with with the muddler.
                          Size 6 tied long. OD green with a small bit of "bling"
                          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                          Bill Hicks

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X