Floating or Sink Tip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary View Post

As far as hook size goes, I think sharpness is more important than gap size. I have hooked and landed more than a few good sized reds (and silvers) while bead fishing with a #10 hook. A small sharp hook is much easier to set than a large diameter hook, IMO. For dollie lama trailer hooks,( and red fly hooks) usually use a Daichi #4 dry fly hook. The gap is right at 3/8" and the hooks are sharp.
    Sinking lines vs floating lines - sometimes a sinking line is the only answer. Just flipping a large amount of lead is doable, but if you're trying to cast, its a PITA. You can get split shot (on a floating line) on the bottom if you are casting upstream, but cast across or quartering downstream and reaching bottom is almost impossible, with any kind of current. That's where a sinking or sink tip line proves its worth.
    Thank you Gary....much appreciated! Yes, the last time I fished we moved to a spot there the current was pretty strong. I'd been using sink tip in essentially frog water, casting well, but after the move ended up throwing a split shot on. Like you said, a pita, but I figured it out. Again appreciate the info on the hooks as well. I'll look for the Daichi. Thanks.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kenaibow fan View Post
      You can run beads above any fly, as for weight well I tie most my wet flies with lead but I will run split shot above weighted flies also. You have to find a balance though, to much weight will kill your cast. But if your dead drifting I wouldn’t worry about it. Principles of fly fishing are different for every one and I am by no means a “purist” so I do what works. I think about the only thing I don’t do is use sinking line.
      Thanks buddy! What size lead are you tying your flies on? I assume you're talking about fishing the Kenai? The guy that helped me had me buy the smaller eyes instead of the larger 1/4" ones the guys used in the videos I watched. His reasoning was that he felt if I used the larger eyes that I would probably get hung up more. I guess I should just tie a few with both sizes and use them according to the current I'm fishing?

Btw, you been doing any good? Friend of mine caught 7 the other day for the 4 in the boat. Running sardine wrapped plugs out the back. Lost 4 at the boat. I'm gonna try and get out tonight.

Comment

Oh man I don’t know what size lead wrap I use but I use that more then cones but the cones I use are usually 7/32 or 5/32 or the medium sized ones. As for barbels I don’t recall but they where the medium sized ones and as for bead heads I used a smaller one that was roughly the size of a 6mm. I know that’s not a lot of help but the guy is right you go to heavy and you will hang up and not get a good drift. I typically use the medium to smaller sized cones and beads for flies I used dead drifting, and go heavier for flies I use when swinging or fishing from the bank. The heaviest I use I’ve used I think was 5/8 and they are sculpin “skullheads” I use only for sculpin flies.

Comment

I did so so throwing vibrex but I was more letting the kids have fun, wading through pinks. But I haven’t spent much time down there this year but in October I be down there a lot!

Comment

Adding lead to flies is relatively easy. Its sold on spools - common sizes are .015, .025 and .035 (at least those are the sizes I usually see at Sportsman's. The numbers refer to diameter and the .035 can add lots of weight, pretty fast. Simply wrap as much of the hook shank as you want before you wind the body on. Lead wrap allows you to balance the fly rather than putting it all at the head of the fly.

Comment

Ha...!!! That's news to me! I think the only lead wrap I've seen has been on a large treble hook....lol. That's some some pretty thin lead, almost like MIG wire, no? Of course I wasn't looking but I don't think I've seen that stuff before. I'll have to pay more attention. Do you guys wrap most all your big salmon flies?

Comment

Look for it with the thread display - it will also be on a spool.
                If you're fishing with a sinking line (or sink tip) and a short leader (3' - 4') I think you can get by with less weight on the fly. If you're using a floating line, with a longer leader, then you'll benefit using a heavier fly.

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
                  Ha...!!! That's news to me! I think the only lead wrap I've seen has been on a large treble hook....lol. That's some some pretty thin lead, almost like MIG wire, no? Of course I wasn't looking but I don't think I've seen that stuff before. I'll have to pay more attention. Do you guys wrap most all your big salmon flies?
                  Always! The one exception being flies I use to floss reds. If you saw what I used for reds you would understand why.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X