Swinging flies for silvers in late August

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging flies for silvers in late August

My wife and I are going to be in AK for 2 weeks. One week up near Denali hiking and chasing grayling. The other week staying around Soldotna at end of August/beginning September. Plan on bringing the single hand and spey rods. <br/><br/>Havenít ever been to AK before so looking for advice on rivers or sections of rivers I should target for silvers? I was thinking upper Kenai and Kalisof. Any suggestions on rivers to research and rough milepost locations I should scout that are good for swinging flies? We donít mind hiking a bit either to get to a spot. <br/><br/>If you donít want to share intel publicly feel free to PM me a message, I will not leak any intel shared. <br/><br/>Cheers<br/>-Shane <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When in Soldotna try Swiftwater campground. In Kasilof try Crooked Ck. campground just below the confluence where Crooked Ck. flows into the Kasilof. Early mornings. I've yet to catch a silver on a fly, but I'll keep on trying. Do a search here as there is quite a bit of info from guys that do.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4merguide View Post
      When in Soldotna try Swiftwater campground. In Kasilof try Crooked Ck. campground just below the confluence where Crooked Ck. flows into the Kasilof. Early mornings. I've yet to catch a silver on a fly, but I'll keep on trying. Do a search here as there is quite a bit of info from guys that do.
      <br/><br/>Appreciate the info. Iíll look these up and search back through older posts too. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

With only 3 posts, you are probably unable to receive or send PM's. I think you need 10 posts, but not sure. On the way from Denali to the Kenai, you might want to try Willow Creek. ESL's, Dolly Lamas and Dahlberg divers have worked for me. I've also caught silvers on beads on the upper Kenai. You might also want to give rainbows and dollies a shot - you'll be here during prime bead season.

Comment

Thanks Gary. Yeah being a new member I need to get my post count up but appreciate the info. Weíre up for chasing anything so will definitely bring some beads and try for rainbows and dollies too. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Are the rainbows and dollies solely focused on eggs or should I tie up some mouse patterns too? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just watched a few videos on YouTube about Kenai rainbows. Dang...those things are huge!<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by shanem View Post
                Are the rainbows and dollies solely focused on eggs or should I tie up some mouse patterns too? <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                VERY focused on eggs in September. Having said that, I've also had fish strike my thing-a-ma-bobber on different occasions, so a top water fly may work, too(?). Both 6mm and 8mm beads work best, during September. Any given day, it would be a toss-up.

Comment

Originally posted by shanem View Post
                  Just watched a few videos on YouTube about Kenai rainbows. Dang...those things are huge!<br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                  There are a LOT of videos on you tube for AK fly fishing. If you have Amazon Prime there is also some good stuff. "Cast Alaska" is highly recommended.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X