leader formula for beading on the Kenai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leader formula for beading on the Kenai

Whats a good leader set up for using a switch rod for beading on the Kenai?
    sigpic
    Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

This is what I use for leaders for beading on the Kenai from my 11' 6 WT switch rod
    Flyline: Airflo Speydicator Fly Line 5 weight (works perfectly with my 6 wt switch)
    6' of 30# with perfection loops on both ends. Attach loop to loop to flyline.
    Attach Air Lock strike indicator somewhere in the middle of the 30# (adjust to whatever depth you need)
    Tie on 3' section of 15# tippet to end of perfection loop using a clinch knot and tie on small swivel to other end of 15# with clinch knot
    Place desired split shot weight to 15# just above swivel
    Tie on pre-tied bead rig (usually 18" of tippet of 8/10/12# depending on water clarity) using clinch knot
    Go fishing and catch fish!

Comment

Originally posted by NorcalBob View Post
      This is what I use for leaders for beading on the Kenai from my 11' 6 WT switch rod
      Flyline: Airflo Speydicator Fly Line 5 weight (works perfectly with my 6 wt switch)
      6' of 30# with perfection loops on both ends. Attach loop to loop to flyline.
      Attach Air Lock strike indicator somewhere in the middle of the 30# (adjust to whatever depth you need)
      Tie on 3' section of 15# tippet to end of perfection loop using a clinch knot and tie on small swivel to other end of 15# with clinch knot
      Place desired split shot weight to 15# just above swivel
      Tie on pre-tied bead rig (usually 18" of tippet of 8/10/12# depending on water clarity) using clinch knot
      Go fishing and catch fish!
      Many thanks that sounds like it covers it all. I might have to invest in one of those lines also the switch thing is new to me and i'm having my share of problems casting. Whats worse is i'm left handed so watching videos has me me really confused.
      Last edited by potbuilder; 4 weeks ago.
      sigpic
      Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
      Ropes, Buoys, Bait
      alaskashrimppots.com
      907 775 1692

Comment

I use the Wulff Ambush line, 6 feet of 25# Maxima Ultragreen with perfection loop to fly line and 3 feet of 15# Maxima Ultragreen tied to the 25# with a blood knot and a perfection loop o n the end. Then I Snell a hook with fluorocarbon and a perfection loop on the other end. This way if I want to change beads all I have to do is remove the tippet and change beads

Comment

I think most important in beading on the Kenai is having a proper dead drift and mending skills. As for the leader setup, I don't think you need to get super intense with it, I've caught many fish using just a 10lb leader and adjusting the indicator for depth. If I wanted to get super intricate, I would use a 9ish ft leader total. The first part being about 7.5 feet of 12lb fluorocarbon with a loop to loop to your fly line. The end of the leader would be 10lb fluorocarbon attached with a blood knot. I like the knot so you can put you split shots above the knot so you don't have to worry about them slipping right on top of your bead. Then attach your bead and snell your hook. I don't think a snell is required and haven't noticed a difference with or without them, but I've talked to guides who swear by it and they likely know more than I do. Once your all tied up, asses the water conditions and add the appropriate weight. The smaller the profile of the weight the better, Orvis has some good ones on their website and Big Ray's also has some good ones in Anchorage.

As for the beads, I've always had more luck with orange than pink/red but I recommend taking a bunch of different colors and sizes, borrow some finger nail polish to paint them as close as you can. I would be interested to see if anyone has any recommendations on colors/size to replicate Pink (Humpy) Salmon eggs?

Comment

Usually, I start with 30# test about 9' long. Attach 2'-3' of 10# or 8# of fluorocarbon tippet. I usually go with less weight above the tippet, so use a longer leader. I also run the indicator at the top of the leader, again due to less weight. By less weight, I mean 1 #3 split shot, 1 or 2 bb's, or a combination. Less weight = fewer hang-ups and a more natural drift (IMO). I've also quit pegging the bead, in favor of a nail knot 2" above the hook. The bead free slides above the knot.

Comment

Thanks for all the info/replies guys. Fairly easy to put together.
              sigpic
              Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
              Ropes, Buoys, Bait
              alaskashrimppots.com
              907 775 1692

Comment

Interesting setups. Im going to have pick up some shot and a few indicators before we get up there in August. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My fly line of choice for switch rods and fishing beads, nymphs, or flesh is Rio switch line. Not the switch chucker, just regular switch line. on my 4wt i use the 5/6 wt line and on a 6 wt the 6/7 line. over lining rods for bead fishing is great, especially if you'll be fishing from a boat; its just easier turning over long leaders with weight and indicators with a heavier line. You can also get a regular wt forward line or better yet an indicator/nymphing line and over line the switch rod 2-3 line weights. For instance, a 4wt switch for me gets a 7wt indicator/nymphing line.

Bead fishing leaders on the kenai should be 9' minimum. if water is up, 11-13' leaders are common. i always keep 6-14" of leader between my indicator and fly line as it allows to mend fly line without moving the indicator off the water and disturbing the drift.

Hope i've muddied the water for ya!
                  "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Comment

This is a very interesting thread. I'm fairly new to spey/switch rod fishing. Been doing it for about 5 years and learning new things all the time, but I kind of gave up using my switch rod for beads and dry flies. But I use it almost exclusively for everything else. Flesh, streamers, sculpins, smolt patterns, dolly lamas etc. I've found that not only does my switch rod allow me to cast longer distances and cover more water. It also creates the perfect swing when using a sinking tip leader. So I usually just fish with 2 rods. I will use my single-handed 6 wt. sage for bead fishing or occasionally dry fly fishing and then when I want to switch to flesh or dolly lamas, I'll change over to my switch rod. That being said after reading this thread it's got me rethinking this strategy. The Kenai River is one of the hardest rivers to fish in my opinion. I enjoy fishing it simply because I know the trophy potential, but no other river in the state has probably given me as much frustration because it's so hard to read the water.

One thing is for sure, after reading all the responses on this thread, I am convinced that part of my problem is that I'm not using enough leader. Danner recommends leader length of 9-13 feet depending on water conditions! I've never used that much leader ever. Perhaps that is my biggest obstacle on the Kenai. I usually only have about 6-7 feet of leader. I have a question about strike indicator position. How far is your strike indicator (typically) positioned above your bead on a 9 foot leader?

Comment

I like my indicator a foot from my fly line which really improves mend-ability without disrupting your drift very much often not at all. So on a 9 leader Id be 8 from the hook. If I wasnt ticking along the bottom or needed to fish deeper I could adjust my indicator but Id likely just add length to the leader. I make my own tapered leaders starting with a butt section of 20# mono and tapering line weights down to 8 or 10# fluoro. Blood knot connections. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Comment

Originally posted by DannerAK View Post
                        I like my indicator a foot from my fly line which really improves mend-ability without disrupting your drift very much often not at all. So on a 9 leader Id be 8 from the hook. If I wasnt ticking along the bottom or needed to fish deeper I could adjust my indicator but Id likely just add length to the leader. I make my own tapered leaders starting with a butt section of 20# mono and tapering line weights down to 8 or 10# fluoro. Blood knot connections. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        any hints to your leader formula ?
                        sigpic
                        Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                        Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                        alaskashrimppots.com
                        907 775 1692

Comment

On the Kenai, I always fish a 9.5 ft leader and 1.5 ft tippet at minimum. When the water is high, I've been known to use a 14+ft setup.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X