No announcement yet.

My new personal best ling cod on a fly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new personal best ling cod on a fly.

A 35 pound, 48 incher.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5457.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	2757118

Nice fish! How did you get it down to him? How deep?
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

Yeah, nice fish, but I'm wondering where you got him? Cause I was under the impression that Ling were off limits until July 1st.

Comment

Hope this was from last year. If so, great, nice fish.
        Last edited by Alasgun; 06-13-2020, 22:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Alasgun View Post
          Hope this was from last year. If so, great, nice fish.
          if not, i done some dumb things in my life, confessing to a sin of this magnitude, on this forum is not one of them!!!
          . He didnt say he killed it.

Comment

It isn't wise to make assumptions!
            Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Comment

Hi Guys, the fish was caught in the Sitka area where the season opens May 16th. It's a big state, the regs. do not apply equally across the state.

We fish according to IGFA fly fishing rules just in case we catch a real big one. We make our own fly lines to fish deep, consisting of 30 ft. of T20 attached to 90 ft of T17. On the business end of the fly line is a 20 lb. tippet and a wire bite leader, then the fly.

This fish was caught in about 120 feet of water. The IGFA allows you to strip up to 120 ft of line for the catch to qualify as a record. That's why we make our fly lines 120 ft. long. It's a system we developed over the last seven years.

Last fall we caught a 92 lb. halibut the same way. We generally limit out on rockfish and then add a couple of lings or a halibut or two for icing on the cake. If you google "Mark Knapp youtube" you will see a video that describes the technique we use.

Comment

"Hope this was from last year. If so, great, nice fish.
                if not, i done some dumb things in my life, confessing to a sin of this magnitude, on this forum is not one of them!!!"

Some guys really know how to take the fun out of everything.

I see you edited the nasty part out so I'll cut you some slack. If I wanted to be a real jerk, I'd ask you "How dumb do you feel now?" Instead I'll take the high road and let it go.

Anyway, thanks, it was a nice fish, and a lot of fun to catch.

Comment

Originally posted by mark knapp View Post
                  it was a nice fish, and a lot of fun to catch.
                  Indeed, that had to have been a blast! Then again, at that depth on a fly rod I bet a lot of fish are a real blast to catch???!!!
                  Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Comment

"Hope this was from last year. If so, great, nice fish.<br/>if not, i done some dumb things in my life, confessing to a sin of this magnitude, on this forum is not one of them!!!"<br/><br/>Some guys really know how to take the fun out of everything.<br/><br/>I see you edited the nasty part out so I'll cut you some slack. If I wanted to be a real jerk, I'd ask you "How dumb do you feel now?" Instead I'll take the high road and let it go.<br/><br/>Anyway, thanks, it was a nice fish, and a lot of fun to catch.<br/><br/>
                    <br/><br/>Awesome! We’ve done it on a downrigger for halibut and Kings. <br/><br/>I think about 90% of the folks on this forum think Alaska basically ends in sight of the Homer Spit. 😄

Comment

Originally posted by gbflyer View Post
                      <br/><br/>Awesome! We’ve done it on a downrigger for halibut and Kings. <br/><br/>I think about 90% of the folks on this forum think Alaska basically ends in sight of the Homer Spit. 😄
                      Yup...Alaska is delineated by Homer to the South and Paxson to the North...."everybody" knows that!

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                      I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                      The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

j
                        Hi Guys, the fish was caught in the Sitka area where the season opens May 16th. It's a big state, the regs. do not apply equally across the state.

We fish according to IGFA fly fishing rules just in case we catch a real big one. We make our own fly lines to fish deep, consisting of 30 ft. of T20 attached to 90 ft of T17. On the business end of the fly line is a 20 lb. tippet and a wire bite leader, then the fly.

This fish was caught in about 120 feet of water. The IGFA allows you to strip up to 120 ft of line for the catch to qualify as a record. That's why we make our fly lines 120 ft. long. It's a system we developed over the last seven years.

Last fall we caught a 92 lb. halibut the same way. We generally limit out on rockfish and then add a couple of lings or a halibut or two for icing on the cake. If you google "Mark Knapp youtube" you will see a video that describes the technique we use.
                        Nice Job! Don't worry about the criticism. It happens with such a big state and all the varying rules.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                        Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                        Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Alasgun has apologized to me for his remarks and it's over.

Now lets talk about fishing.

This will be the seventh year we have fished this way. We do it 2 or 3 times a year for a week at a time. We have a freezer and vacuum packer at our remote cabin and bring home about 200 pounds of filleted, vacuum packed rock fish, ling cod and halibut per trip.

It's fun, challenging and exciting. It sometimes takes us a day to fill a limit but on occasion we can fill a limit in less than two hours on a fly.

We can't fish every day with a fly rod if the weather doesn't cooperate but it's a blast when we can.

Comment

What type/size/weight rod do you use?
                            ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                            I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                            The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

That’s a nice catch. What are you using for backing?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X