Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nikkimlee
    replied
    Born and raised Alaskan here, but I can tell ya the first river I ever fly fished was in Montana. Was an epic day fishing the Madison. I will seriously never forget it; was in my 20s and couldn’t believe I’d never swung a fly rod before. What an experience. Continued the trip with a Yellowstone float and several days fishing the Gallatin. Consider yourself lucky to have fished such awesome country.

Welcome to AK! You’re a couple years in, I get, but welcome all the same. Tight lines!

Leave a comment:

• 4merguide
    replied
    Hi Kery, and welcome to the forum! For many years I never used a fly rod fishing Alaska. Then one day I was headed down to the fishing hole for kings and ran into my friend, his brother and father. They saw me and motioned to me to come with them. They all were using fly rods for these kings. When my friend handed me his to feel I fell in love. The lightness of the 8wt compared to my big spin caster was quite the surprise. And I just loved the sensitivity. Next thing I knew I was on the river with my own 8wt Redington and G-loomis reel. After many kings on that rig that's pretty much it for me now. Of course, as you know, fly fishing for salmon isn't really the typical style of fly fishing you're used to, but I enjoy it never the less. if anything just for the ease of making many hundreds of "flips" during an outing. I haven't been down fishing for kings in that spot for quite awhile now, because, like you, I'm not a fan of combat fishing. So now it means taking the boat and getting after sockeyes that has captured my heart. Not only mine but my kids are now all outfitted with fly rods and enjoy it just as much as I do. I'm trying to get into catching silvers (coho) on a fly rod, and I've made a few attempts but so far no go. I'll keep trying but we've been using real light spinning rods for them and having a blast. I'm sure after you catch your first salmon on a fly rod you'll be hooked for sure. Even though it may not mean catching them on a fly rod like you're used to.

Btw....Make sure you let your voice be heard against the pebble mine project threatening the headwaters of Bristol Bay. They are still trying to punch it through so we need all the help we can get. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• kgivens
    started a topic Introduction

Introduction

Hello and I hope this isn't too long,

Since I am just getting started here, I thought I would introduce myself and say hi to everyone.

I would say I am first and foremost an avid fly fisherman whose love of wild rivers and streams lead to other adventures with photography, upland bird hunting, hiking, and backpacking. This all began in Montana as a young man who knew nothing when I first drifted a fly blindly in a side channel of the Gallatin River outside of Yellowstone National Park and a willing cutthroat indulged me and infected me with a passion for fly fishing ever since.

I am a lover of dry fly and fishing the various hatches in the northern Rocky Mountains, I was tying a multitude of flies in a dizzying array of styles and sizes to cover the big western rivers and tailwaters, to the mystic spring creeks and their elusive and selective trout. After fly fishing the around Greater Yellowstone area (Montana, NW Wyoming, and Eastern Idaho) for the better part of 25 years, I went from the more well-known and utilized waters to wandering off the beaten path and exploring more remote steams and lesser-known waters. This lead to a sense of adventure and a greater appreciation of being away from tourists and finding solace in the new places I found. There were so many small lakes, ponds, and streams I came across, getting my truck stuck more than once taking routes with directions that began with...

“Go down to milepost # then turn left, follow the two-track road until you are at the first tree take a left until you reach a water barrel then turn right across the prairie through 2 fence gates and down a steep hill then cross the creek and the pond is just past that.”

Now that was adventure fishing, where fish size wasn’t the important factor (though there were more than a few surprises) and that seeking the more unique places and fish such as the many subspecies of cutthroat trout in the West to my first experience with native grayling in a mountain lake and my wonderment of this rare fish.

I got involved with my local fly fishing club and its education/conservation opportunities where I made new friends expanding my knowledge and experience greatly. That evolved into becoming a TU/FFF chapter President for 2 years and an active member of the board of directors for another 8. In that capacity, I was active with the Montana state Trout Unlimited and weathered several attempts at mining threatening our streams as well as the discovery of whirling disease and its devastating impact spreading across the state on the wild rainbow and cutthroat fisheries. Those were trying times but only lead me to do what I could to support protecting the places I loved.

Moving to Alaska in 2008 after a few years of coming up for work, I shifted to more backpacking and putting fishing on the back burner, partly because I wasn’t able to really connect with and figure out salmon fishing, plus not being a fan of combat fishing I put it off. In 2018 I rekindled my love of fly fishing by reminding myself that there was a huge state full of off the beaten path fly fishing opportunities I could explore in the interior road system fisheries. I have spent the last 2 years poking and prodding around the hwy system for streams and small lakes starting with the more easily reached waters for grayling and found that I had left behind the crowds and combat fishing. Instead, I began to see that there were so many opportunities available that I could chase char (I haven’t caught one yet) and of course grayling in these amazingly beautiful places and every day had the potential to explore someplace new.

I guess I am here to learn, make new friends, and hopefully contribute my experiences with the group. Maybe find some others who appreciate similar things, make some new friends, and possibly find others to fish with on these adventures. If you read something that connected with you or you just want to ask me about fishing the Rockies, please just reach out and let’s chat. I enjoy meeting new people and happy to help any way I can.

Kery

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X