Floating the Upper Delta-Clearwater River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating the Upper Delta-Clearwater River

Hi all, I’m a first-time poster and long time reader finding a lot of great information on this site. Sorry for the long post and thank you all for your contributions and comments.

Being from Montana before moving to Alaska in 2008, I would call myself an avid dry fly fisher and have always enjoyed exploring new areas and different species in the Northern Rockies. I have been wanting to get back to wandering and exploring in Alaska from its many rivers and small streams. I can remember the first time I caught a rare grayling in a high mountain lake in Yellowstone Park and found out how unique and interesting they were.

I spent last summer poking around the Denali & Richardson Hwy's and the Tok Cutoff and look forward to continuing this and hopefully for years to come. I have been searching for and reading as much as I can find on and off the forum about fly fishing for grayling (and maybe some arctic char) in the interior rivers and streams, I found so many helpful articles covering much of the state. In the recent past I have fished some on the Upper Chena as well but not gotten to much more north of the Denali Hwy yet.

In my effort to explore and fish more of Alaska, it sounds like the Delta Clearwater River is someplace I shouldn’t miss. Reading that wading is a challenge at the primary access from the State campground, I am wondering about floating the upper Delta Clearwater River this summer but not having a powerboat, I wanted to ask if there was any upstream river access up towards the headwaters where I could put my pontoon raft in and float back to the state rec site? I also look forward to floating the lower part to Clearwater Lake in the future.

Also, if you have any suggestions about fishing or floating the DCW or surrounding streams that are accessible from my car or by short hikes that are worth exploring in the area I would be grateful for any pointers. Thank you in advance.

ps...if anyone is looking for a grayling trip up there or anywhere in the interior this summer, drop me a line and maybe we can put something together. (I'm in Anchorage)

Originally posted by kgivens View Post
    Hi all, I’m a first-time poster and long time reader finding a lot of great information on this site. Sorry for the long post and thank you all for your contributions and comments.<br/><br/>Being from Montana before moving to Alaska in 2008, I would call myself an avid dry fly fisher and have always enjoyed exploring new areas and different species in the Northern Rockies. I have been wanting to get back to wandering and exploring in Alaska from its many rivers and small streams. I can remember the first time I caught a rare grayling in a high mountain lake in Yellowstone Park and found out how unique and interesting they were.<br/><br/>I spent last summer poking around the Denali & Richardson Hwy's and the Tok Cutoff and look forward to continuing this and hopefully for years to come. I have been searching for and reading as much as I can find on and off the forum about fly fishing for grayling (and maybe some arctic char) in the interior rivers and streams, I found so many helpful articles covering much of the state. In the recent past I have fished some on the Upper Chena as well but not gotten to much more north of the Denali Hwy yet.<br/><br/>In my effort to explore and fish more of Alaska, it sounds like the Delta Clearwater River is someplace I shouldn’t miss. Reading that wading is a challenge at the primary access from the State campground, I am wondering about floating the upper Delta Clearwater River this summer but not having a powerboat, I wanted to ask if there was any upstream river access up towards the headwaters where I could put my pontoon raft in and float back to the state rec site? I also look forward to floating the lower part to Clearwater Lake in the future.<br/><br/>Also, if you have any suggestions about fishing or floating the DCW or surrounding streams that are accessible from my car or by short hikes that are worth exploring in the area I would be grateful for any pointers. Thank you in advance.<br/><br/>ps...if anyone is looking for a grayling trip up there or anywhere in the interior this summer, drop me a line and maybe we can put something together. (I'm in Anchorage)
    <br/><br/>There’s a guide who will boat you up and drop you for a day float in a kayak. Waldo fishing and transport <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have floated it once. We put in at the boat launch at the campground and floated out to the Tanana and then up the lake to the take-out. Not sure about accessing the upper river above the boat launch but the float down from the campground will give you lots of opportunity to fly fish for grayling away from the crowds. And the grayling in that river are bigger than anywhere I've been in the state. And dry flies are the ticket. Send me a pm and I'll tell you a good fly pattern to use.

Comment

@KMac, thank you for the lead. I finally came across Waldo's Facebook page and got more information, now just to reach him and see what we can setup.

@Bushwhack Jack...Thanks for the info. I will be in a one person pontoon spitting the trip into two day days doing one day from the upper river down after being shuttled upstream down to the State camp ground, then the 2nd day I'd like to float down to Clearwater Lake. I am really excited to explore t his fishery, I have loved my grayling adventures around the middle interior and always heard how great the DCWR was. Now that I have a decent water craft to float rivers it has opened up new opportunities for me.

I still have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. What was the rowing upstream to get into Clearwater Lake like and how was the take out set up?

2. Are there any transportation (shuttle) services from the lake take out back to the campground, I was thinking about moving my car tot he take out but not sure about reasonably getting back the campground put in?

Trying to plan for this from Anchorage for the first time, I would like to avoid any pitfalls or poor planning on my part.

Again, thank you all for being helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by kgivens View Post
          @KMac, thank you for the lead. I finally came across Waldo's Facebook page and got more information, now just to reach him and see what we can setup.

@Bushwhack Jack...Thanks for the info. I will be in a one person pontoon spitting the trip into two day days doing one day from the upper river down after being shuttled upstream down to the State camp ground, then the 2nd day I'd like to float down to Clearwater Lake. I am really excited to explore t his fishery, I have loved my grayling adventures around the middle interior and always heard how great the DCWR was. Now that I have a decent water craft to float rivers it has opened up new opportunities for me.

I still have a couple questions if you don't mind.

1. What was the rowing upstream to get into Clearwater Lake like and how was the take out set up?

2. Are there any transportation (shuttle) services from the lake take out back to the campground, I was thinking about moving my car tot he take out but not sure about reasonably getting back the campground put in?

Trying to plan for this from Anchorage for the first time, I would like to avoid any pitfalls or poor planning on my part.

Again, thank you all for being helpful.
          Answer to questions #1) Rowing upstream into the lake was easy. It's really slow and maybe a mile if my memory serves me right, but not too difficult. And easy take-out

Answer to question #2) Not sure, we went with another family and had two different vehicles. Maybe try looking up a cab driver in Delta Junction.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
          Working...
          X