Lakers on the Fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lakers on the Fly

I'd like to get a laker on my fly rod. Am looking into going up towards Paxson and Tangles in the next couple of weeks as the ice moves away. Any tips, experiences, or fly recommendations? Thanks
    hook, line, sinker, done.

My wife and I caught our first lake trout on flies last year. We tried to target the smolt outmigration. In talking with a guy at Mt View Sports, he set us up with a number of smolt patterns in yellow. I had been thinking blue and white/silver, but he insisted yellow was the color. He wasnít wrong. We missed them the first night, but was told by another fisherman that midnight was the magic time. The next night the fish were slashing the surface chasing smolt. It wasnít hot and heavy, but we each caught one before our kids got overwhelmed with mosquitoes and we bailed. Ridiculously fun and weíll definitely be back next month.

Of course...all of that effort and my kid goes and catches one from shore in August on a tiny spinner. So...maybe itís not that hard after all.

Comment

They weren't big, but it sure was fun!

Comment

Originally posted by fishak View Post
        I'd like to get a laker on my fly rod. Am looking into going up towards Paxson and Tangles in the next couple of weeks as the ice moves away. Any tips, experiences, or fly recommendations? Thanks
        I tried sending you a private message but for some reason it's not working. I think I have to delete some messages first but the messages I have stored I want to keep. Anyhow, Brian is right. I'm probably the fisherman he told you about that said midnight is when the fishing gets good. If you give me your phone number I can call or text you some more info. Not gonna advertise to the whole world what works and what doesn't. I've fished there a lot and had to learn the hard way what works and what doesn't. Took me a few years to figure em out, but if you give me your number I can try to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

I tried sending you a private message but for some reason it's not working. I think I have to delete some messages first but the messages I have stored I want to keep. Anyhow, Brian is right. I'm probably the fisherman he told you about that said midnight is when the fishing gets good. If you give me your phone number I can call or text you some more info. Not gonna advertise to the whole world what works and what doesn't. I've fished there a lot and had to learn the hard way what works and what doesn't. Took me a few years to figure em out, but if you give me your number I can try to help you out.
          Tried to send you a PM with my number but it said you're all full.
          hook, line, sinker, done.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
            They weren't big, but it sure was fun!

Thatís a killer picture!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
            Working...
            X