Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nikkimlee
    replied
    We floated Willow Creek 4 times since Thursday — the bite is definitely heating up! Only hooked into a few each day, but the ones we did get were nice and beefy! Talked to a couple down at the takeout and they floated Little Willow, said they caught a bunch of grayling. Starting to pick up, for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    Originally posted by nikkimlee View Post
    Director of Sport Fish, Dave Rutz. When my bf texted him about it (we were shocked to see a pike pulled out of willow creek!) he said while they’ve been there forever, they aren’t there in big numbers and don’t thrive there, and so haven’t been an issue for the trout or salmon since they generally need slower, slack water with weeds to be productive predators (That’s paraphrasing what my bf relayed to me from their text convo, not quoting Dave there). I mean, I’d certainly have preferred to never see a pike out of that stream, but Dave knows his stuff and I feel a lot better knowing it’s not a new occurrence and we’ve been fishing trout there for years (apparently with pike around) and never had issues.
    I know Dave, and you are right, he would be the guy to know if they are there or not.

Leave a comment:

• nikkimlee
    replied
    Originally posted by alaska13 View Post

Thanks for the info! That does make me feel a lot better knowing they have been there for awhile. That must've been a pretty rare catch for you guys.
    Oh for sure, it was definitely new for us. We weren’t there when he pulled it out, but when he brought it back to camp and threw it on the wood pile we all had a collective ahh s#!t moment!

Leave a comment:

• nikkimlee
    replied
    Originally posted by injun joe View Post
    This interactive map shows pike presence in a few other places I sure didn't know about.

https://adfg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...798.1545171374
    I was looking at that earlier today — I’m thinking maybe some are traveling through Shirley Creek from Shirley Lake to hit the Willow — it’s flat and marshy where it connects with Willow Creek, they might be able to hang around there. The one our buddy caught was not all the way down at the mouth, a little further up. I’ll have to ask him how close to Shirley Creek it was. Thinking I might have found my new winter Pike fishing lake, haha!

Leave a comment:

• injun joe
    replied
    This interactive map shows pike presence in a few other places I sure didn't know about.

https://adfg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...798.1545171374

Leave a comment:

• alaska13
    replied
    Director of Sport Fish, Dave Rutz. When my bf texted him about it (we were shocked to see a pike pulled out of willow creek!) he said while they’ve been there forever, they aren’t there in big numbers and don’t thrive there, and so haven’t been an issue for the trout or salmon since they generally need slower, slack water with weeds to be productive predators (That’s paraphrasing what my bf relayed to me from their text convo, not quoting Dave there). I mean, I’d certainly have preferred to never see a pike out of that stream, but Dave knows his stuff and I feel a lot better knowing it’s not a new occurrence and we’ve been fishing trout there for years (apparently with pike around) and never had issues.
    Thanks for the info! That does make me feel a lot better knowing they have been there for awhile. That must've been a pretty rare catch for you guys.

Leave a comment:

• nikkimlee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    Crap, who was the bio you talked to?

Leave a comment:

• nikkimlee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nikkimlee
    replied
    Yep it was definitely a Pike — Im pretty sure we snapped a pic; I’ll look for it.

we actually texted a buddy who works for Fish & Game about it, he said they’ve been catching them for 20 years. That being said: this is the first we’ve ever seen it, or even heard it until now.

Leave a comment:

• alaska13
    replied
    We floated Willow Creek over Memorial weekend — water was super high and dirty. Had no luck, but we didn’t fish super hard. Buddy did catch a pike down at the mouth Water is still high and fast this weekend as well. Haven’t been out to any other streams yet.
    Could you confirm that a Pike was caught at the mouth of Willow? I've never heard of Pike in Willow also... Could be devastating to the system if true.

Leave a comment:

• AKFreezerFiller
    replied
    Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    <br/><br/>WHAT????!!!! Your friend caught a pike down at the mouth of WILLOW CREEK!!!!??? Are you sure it was a pike? Got a picture to confirm that? That's the first I've heard of pike in Willow creek. I know they are in the Nancy Lake system just to the south of there. But I've never heard of pike making their way into the Parks highway streams. That would be a tragedy. I pray and hope you are wrong.
    <br/><br/>I was thinking the same thing. I have heard of pike in many of the Su tributaries but never Willow. Definitely a concern with the smolt migration.

Leave a comment:

• Bushwhack Jack
    replied
    We floated Willow Creek over Memorial weekend — water was super high and dirty. Had no luck, but we didn’t fish super hard. Buddy did catch a pike down at the mouth Water is still high and fast this weekend as well. Haven’t been out to any other streams yet.
    WHAT????!!!! Your friend caught a pike down at the mouth of WILLOW CREEK!!!!??? Are you sure it was a pike? Got a picture to confirm that? That's the first I've heard of pike in Willow creek. I know they are in the Nancy Lake system just to the south of there. But I've never heard of pike making their way into the Parks highway streams. That would be a tragedy. I pray and hope you are wrong.

Leave a comment:

• nikkimlee
    replied

Leave a comment:

• rainbro trout
    replied
    Did anyone get out on this long weekend?

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X