Spring on the Parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KMac View Post
    <br/><br/>Yep agreed on all counts. I guess it comes down to what your goal is while fishing. Mine is to catch fish. Others may want to be regarded as a pure fly fisherman and cast in a pretty way. Neither is wrong. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Correct. I’m an angler. I absolutely love being in the water and catching fish, which I have grown to love and respect so much more in the last few years. I like eating them, but I love conserving their environment and treating them like I do. I’ve learned a lot about them in recent years.

I’d rather be a jack of all trades and ready to fish whenever the opportunity presents itself. Wherever that may be and whatever the weather.

Comment

Originally posted by urbanhillbilly View Post

But that’s the thing, there’s all sorts of materials used to make flies. I understand that there’s not a more simple set up than a bead rig, yet you still have to be able to find the color/size that is going to work. Also, while using a fly rod with the appropriate line set up you are more precise and still actually targeting the fish. I consider that fly fishing.

And while I would love to call myself a fly fisherman, I cannot. Yes, it is my preferred method, but I still fish spinners, spin-n-glo, bobber, flipping…. Whatever I deem necessary for the water I am fishing.
      As long as you are having fun (and being legal and ethical), don’t worry about labels. I have fished in Idaho with guys who caught bugs in nets at the river’s edge, then tied flies to match and refused to buy any. They refused to use lead, etc.... And I see people using spinning reels on flyrods to flip. All extremes and I just like to have fun. Dry fly to beads to dolly llama’s, I love using a fly rod and I also love casting tiny Mepps spinners on ultralight spinning gear. Enjoy your summer and the many valley streams.

Comment

My one regret is that I didn’t have time to go look for grayling at little willow!

Comment

Originally posted by urbanhillbilly View Post

Just curious, but why not? Totally starting a rabbit trail…
          Because beads are nothing more than a piece of plastic not a fly.
          Just because one is fishing with a fly rod does not mean you are a fly fisherman.
          Using beads also injures fish. I have landed numerous rainbows and dollys on the Kenai that are missing an eye or gill plates that have been damaged.
          This is due to spiking the bead with a toothpick, that allows the hook to swing freely only to hook smaller fish anywhere in the head causing injuries.
          This is just my personal opinion on the matter, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan907 View Post
            <br/><br/>Because beads are nothing more than a piece of plastic not a fly.<br/>Just because one is fishing with a fly rod does not mean you are a fly fisherman. <br/>Using beads also injures fish. I have landed numerous rainbows and dollys on the Kenai that are missing an eye or gill plates that have been damaged. <br/>This is due to spiking the bead with a toothpick, that allows the hook to swing freely only to hook smaller fish anywhere in the head causing injuries. <br/>This is just my personal opinion on the matter, nothing more. <br/>
            <br/><br/>Anybody still using a toothpick to peg their beads needs to buy a clue. <br/><br/><br/>Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I fly fish with a bobber and a flesh fly with spinning gear. Is that better then bead fishing with a fly rod. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk<br/><br/><br/>
              I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
              but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan907 View Post

Because beads are nothing more than a piece of plastic not a fly.
                Just because one is fishing with a fly rod does not mean you are a fly fisherman.
                Using beads also injures fish. I have landed numerous rainbows and dollys on the Kenai that are missing an eye or gill plates that have been damaged.
                This is due to spiking the bead with a toothpick, that allows the hook to swing freely only to hook smaller fish anywhere in the head causing injuries.
                This is just my personal opinion on the matter, nothing more.
                Adhering to the 2" rule pretty much eliminates hooks in the trout's eyes and gill plates. A LOT of materials utilized in tying flies are made from artificial materials, like plastic. Foam, mylar, various tinsels, etc. Using a bead IMO is the same thing as fishing with a tube fly - neither is attached to the hook, but both are fly fishing.

Comment

Could somebody post up a picture of a bead setup?

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X