Spring on the Parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nikkimlee View Post
    Director of Sport Fish, Dave Rutz. When my bf texted him about it (we were shocked to see a pike pulled out of willow creek!) he said while they’ve been there forever, they aren’t there in big numbers and don’t thrive there, and so haven’t been an issue for the trout or salmon since they generally need slower, slack water with weeds to be productive predators (That’s paraphrasing what my bf relayed to me from their text convo, not quoting Dave there). I mean, I’d certainly have preferred to never see a pike out of that stream, but Dave knows his stuff and I feel a lot better knowing it’s not a new occurrence and we’ve been fishing trout there for years (apparently with pike around) and never had issues.
    Thanks for the info! That does make me feel a lot better knowing they have been there for awhile. That must've been a pretty rare catch for you guys.

Comment

This interactive map shows pike presence in a few other places I sure didn't know about.

https://adfg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...798.1545171374

Comment

Originally posted by injun joe View Post
        This interactive map shows pike presence in a few other places I sure didn't know about.

https://adfg.maps.arcgis.com/apps/we...798.1545171374
        I was looking at that earlier today — I’m thinking maybe some are traveling through Shirley Creek from Shirley Lake to hit the Willow — it’s flat and marshy where it connects with Willow Creek, they might be able to hang around there. The one our buddy caught was not all the way down at the mouth, a little further up. I’ll have to ask him how close to Shirley Creek it was. Thinking I might have found my new winter Pike fishing lake, haha!

Comment

Originally posted by alaska13 View Post

Thanks for the info! That does make me feel a lot better knowing they have been there for awhile. That must've been a pretty rare catch for you guys.
          Oh for sure, it was definitely new for us. We weren’t there when he pulled it out, but when he brought it back to camp and threw it on the wood pile we all had a collective ahh s#!t moment!

Comment

Originally posted by nikkimlee View Post
            Director of Sport Fish, Dave Rutz. When my bf texted him about it (we were shocked to see a pike pulled out of willow creek!) he said while they’ve been there forever, they aren’t there in big numbers and don’t thrive there, and so haven’t been an issue for the trout or salmon since they generally need slower, slack water with weeds to be productive predators (That’s paraphrasing what my bf relayed to me from their text convo, not quoting Dave there). I mean, I’d certainly have preferred to never see a pike out of that stream, but Dave knows his stuff and I feel a lot better knowing it’s not a new occurrence and we’ve been fishing trout there for years (apparently with pike around) and never had issues.
            I know Dave, and you are right, he would be the guy to know if they are there or not.

Comment

We floated Willow Creek 4 times since Thursday — the bite is definitely heating up! Only hooked into a few each day, but the ones we did get were nice and beefy! Talked to a couple down at the takeout and they floated Little Willow, said they caught a bunch of grayling. Starting to pick up, for sure!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X