Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring on the Parks

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Spring on the Parks

    Well it's getting pretty close to Rainbow season, anyone fish any of the Parks streams yet? Anyone tie some flies that they can't wait to use? All of this quarantine has me bored out of my mind when not at work, can't wait to go social distance on the Parks...

  • #2
    I havenít been out on any of the Parks streams yet but I am also getting antsy. Most the lakes are thawed out and I have been hitting them in the evening to scratch the itch so the creeks have to be close.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
      I havenít been out on any of the Parks streams yet but I am also getting antsy. Most the lakes are thawed out and I have been hitting them in the evening to scratch the itch so the creeks have to be close.
      Well, what's the report on lake fishing?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post
        I havenít been out on any of the Parks streams yet but I am also getting antsy. Most the lakes are thawed out and I have been hitting them in the evening to scratch the itch so the creeks have to be close.
        The flows look pretty decent on a few of the streams, I'm unsure of how long until the trout are in them or if they will get blown out soon with all the melting snow.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post

          Well, what's the report on lake fishing?
          Lake fishing how been pretty good. I have been out a few evenings from shore and trolling around in the packraft. Have had the best luck 10-15í from the shoreline stripping flies (nymphs, wooly buggers, even a San Juan worm).

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AKFreezerFiller View Post

            Lake fishing how been pretty good. I have been out a few evenings from shore and trolling around in the packraft. Have had the best luck 10-15í from the shoreline stripping flies (nymphs, wooly buggers, even a San Juan worm).
            Nice, I might just have to do that soon. Thanks for the report.

            Comment


            • #7
              Did anyone get out on this long weekend?

              Comment


              • #8
                We floated Willow Creek over Memorial weekend — water was super high and dirty. Had no luck, but we didn’t fish super hard. Buddy did catch a pike down at the mouth Water is still high and fast this weekend as well. Haven’t been out to any other streams yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nikkimlee View Post
                  We floated Willow Creek over Memorial weekend — water was super high and dirty. Had no luck, but we didn’t fish super hard. Buddy did catch a pike down at the mouth Water is still high and fast this weekend as well. Haven’t been out to any other streams yet.
                  WHAT????!!!! Your friend caught a pike down at the mouth of WILLOW CREEK!!!!??? Are you sure it was a pike? Got a picture to confirm that? That's the first I've heard of pike in Willow creek. I know they are in the Nancy Lake system just to the south of there. But I've never heard of pike making their way into the Parks highway streams. That would be a tragedy. I pray and hope you are wrong.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                    <br/><br/>WHAT????!!!! Your friend caught a pike down at the mouth of WILLOW CREEK!!!!??? Are you sure it was a pike? Got a picture to confirm that? That's the first I've heard of pike in Willow creek. I know they are in the Nancy Lake system just to the south of there. But I've never heard of pike making their way into the Parks highway streams. That would be a tragedy. I pray and hope you are wrong.
                    <br/><br/>I was thinking the same thing. I have heard of pike in many of the Su tributaries but never Willow. Definitely a concern with the smolt migration.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by nikkimlee View Post
                      We floated Willow Creek over Memorial weekend — water was super high and dirty. Had no luck, but we didn’t fish super hard. Buddy did catch a pike down at the mouth Water is still high and fast this weekend as well. Haven’t been out to any other streams yet.
                      Could you confirm that a Pike was caught at the mouth of Willow? I've never heard of Pike in Willow also... Could be devastating to the system if true.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yep it was definitely a Pike — Im pretty sure we snapped a pic; I’ll look for it.

                        we actually texted a buddy who works for Fish & Game about it, he said they’ve been catching them for 20 years. That being said: this is the first we’ve ever seen it, or even heard it until now.

                        Comment


                        • #13

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Crap, who was the bio you talked to?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Director of Sport Fish, Dave Rutz. When my bf texted him about it (we were shocked to see a pike pulled out of willow creek!) he said while they’ve been there forever, they aren’t there in big numbers and don’t thrive there, and so haven’t been an issue for the trout or salmon since they generally need slower, slack water with weeds to be productive predators (That’s paraphrasing what my bf relayed to me from their text convo, not quoting Dave there). I mean, I’d certainly have preferred to never see a pike out of that stream, but Dave knows his stuff and I feel a lot better knowing it’s not a new occurrence and we’ve been fishing trout there for years (apparently with pike around) and never had issues.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X