Grayling flies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grayling flies...

What are everyone's personal favorites for grayling flies? I've been usinng mosquitos and black ants with pretty good success...thanks for your thoughts in advance...

Happy fishing...

Beadhead Hares Ear Nymphs, Prince Nymphs, Pheasant Tail Nymphs.

Elk Hair Caddis, PMD's, Light Cahill and Adams (parachute and standard).
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Comment

griffins gnat, deadly on the finfish, it has always worked for me, the only time i dont use them is if i run out of them, and then mosquitos seem to work pretty good, i have caught a handfull when fishing for rainbows with egg patterns too

Comment

Tangle Lake teaser (a variation of elk hair caddis) kills in the waters near Paxton. A Green Domino is my favorite nymph, but they are almost impossible to find. Generally speaking I find grayling are not real selective.
        LBenz

Comment

The zug bug works great for me and I also like Pheasant Tail Nymphs
          Living the Alaskan Dream
          Gary Keller
          Anchorage, AK

Comment

lol

If you come out to the denali highway ,,im pretty sure a piece of fuzz with a hook will bring you in a grayling.

Comment

Originally posted by danthedewman1
              If you come out to the denali highway ,,im pretty sure a piece of fuzz with a hook will bring you in a grayling.
              Yup. My wife tied a brown and white fly using some of my Springer Spaniels hair one day and caught fish with it. His name is Zach so we named it the Zachiebugger. It looked like a miniature brown and white wooly bugger. Hence the name.

I always see how many different flys I can catch them on. Dry and wet.
              A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Comment

Wooly bugger

has been one of my favorites along the Denali. For dry's I like the mosquito, Brown hackle peacock and the gray hackle peacock. The Adams is a winner too.
                AKmud
                sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

grayling flies

Most any dry pattern will work. In chop, pick one you can see and follow, otherwise about a size 14-16 black gnat with white hair wing or clipped foam wing. A friend spent a lot of time studying that very question- trying lots of patterns and his opinion (one I have a great deal of respect for) was that the black gnat seemed to be preferred. Other than that anything can/will work if they can get their mouth over it- small leeches, smolt patterns, wolly worms, egg patterns, beads, caddis, stoneflies, etc.

Comment

Wooly buggers for Grayling?

Originally posted by AKmud View Post
                    has been one of my favorites along the Denali. For dry's I like the mosquito, Brown hackle peacock and the gray hackle peacock. The Adams is a winner too.
                    Akmud,
                    What size WBs for Grayling? Maybe #10?
                    I haven't fished WBs for Grayling, but a guy told me once he fished "bourbon" colored WBs. At least I think he meant color...

Smaller than #10?

Thanks.
                    No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Elk hair caddis and all its variations. Stimulator when they are really turned on. Bead head Hare's ears in natural for sub-surface. Thunder Creek's and Clouser's in a brown olive color.
                      Sizes
                      Dries are all 12 and under.
                      Nymphs are 12 and under
                      Streamers are 8 and under
                      Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Comment

In my grayling box

Elk Hair, Tangle lake teaser's, and mosquitos with a light body. Did really well with black nats up on the dalton highway for the arctic sailfish
                        sigpic
                        "I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
                        The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Comment

Beadhead olive WB like in the bottom right of this box...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Big 'uns, eh?

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
                            Beadhead olive WB like in the bottom right of this box...

Box is a beauty. These look like 4,6's, maybe 8's?
                            No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

fly box

Dang Dan, I think you need to spend more time fishing, and less time organizing your fly boxes. Better yet, you could spend more time organizing my fly boxes like that.
                              All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X