Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mbrenna
    replied
    Nice photos danner! Did you go mouth up, parks down down, or float??

Leave a comment:

• DannerAK
    replied
    Originally posted by mbrenna View Post
    Fished Willow last weekend. Caught a couple decent rainbows at the mouth, and saw other guys catch a few grayling. Pretty slow overall. I hiked up stream and found ZERO fish. Any recent reports? I figure the mouths will produce a fish here and there but it seems as though the main streams are getting pretty empty. Please someone tell me I'm wrong!
    There are still fish to be had. I found quite a few the last couple days. They have been hammering big leaches on the swing. So fun!

Leave a comment:

• icb12
    replied
    Originally posted by muzzyman87 View Post
    They look good up there in early October..

What I really want to know is how does injun Joe never spill his beer??? He is truly a master. I mean before his pataguccis had that built in auto-leveling beer pocket. But the Simms?? he just jams it in there and yet- never spills.

Good work fellas. Come on down, I got somewhere we need to go. You will like it.

Leave a comment:

• mbrenna
    replied
    Fished Willow last weekend. Caught a couple decent rainbows at the mouth, and saw other guys catch a few grayling. Pretty slow overall. I hiked up stream and found ZERO fish. Any recent reports? I figure the mouths will produce a fish here and there but it seems as though the main streams are getting pretty empty. Please someone tell me I'm wrong!

Leave a comment:

• muzzyman87
    replied
    They look good up there in early October..

Leave a comment:

• kenaibow fan
    replied
    he looks a lot better with a shave!

Leave a comment:

• FishGod
    replied
    Yeah, I've seen him around. He's a real clown.

Leave a comment:

• AlaskaHippie
    replied
    Originally posted by DannerAK View Post

28"x16"
    I've run into that guy on a few rivers....

(Sweeeeet fish!!!)

Leave a comment:

• DannerAK
    replied
    pics or it didn't happen ; )

28"x16"

Leave a comment:

• mbrenna
    replied
    Originally posted by FishGod View Post
    This time of year the fish are moving downstream in small schools. That's why it can be so spotty. You won't catch anything in five nice holes, but when you get to the sixth hole you pull out 5-10 fish. Just keep moving around until you find that school. One year in October we were floating the Willow and four of us didn't touch a fish for three miles. We got to one particular hole and proceeded to pull out 40+ bows and grayling. After that spot we didn't touch a fish for another 2-3 miles then found another hole that produced 20+ fish.

Hmmm, good to know!

Leave a comment:

• mbrenna
    replied
    Originally posted by DannerAK View Post
    Gotta watch out for that guy, he is tricky! I kinda felt like an a-hole for calling you out, but I wanted to see a 28" parks bow. They are few and far between. Maybe I'll dig up a pic of a true 28" bow I caught up there Oct 6 last year, if anyone would like to see it....
    pics or it didn't happen ; )

Leave a comment:

• DannerAK
    replied
    Danner tricked me
    Gotta watch out for that guy, he is tricky! I kinda felt like an a-hole for calling you out, but I wanted to see a 28" parks bow. They are few and far between. Maybe I'll dig up a pic of a true 28" bow I caught up there Oct 6 last year, if anyone would like to see it....

Leave a comment:

• FishGod
    replied
    This time of year the fish are moving downstream in small schools. That's why it can be so spotty. You won't catch anything in five nice holes, but when you get to the sixth hole you pull out 5-10 fish. Just keep moving around until you find that school. One year in October we were floating the Willow and four of us didn't touch a fish for three miles. We got to one particular hole and proceeded to pull out 40+ bows and grayling. After that spot we didn't touch a fish for another 2-3 miles then found another hole that produced 20+ fish.

Leave a comment:

• KMac
    replied
    Originally posted by icb12 View Post
    The game changes when the water is cold like that. Its not that they aren't opportunistic. Its just that they aren't going to move as much for it. You need to
    A) piss them off
    B) put something right in front of them that will get their attention

Heavier tips\flies, get it ALL the way down to the fish. If the fish aren't moving to your fly your technique-drift, swing, combo, whatever has to be placed perfect. It has also been my experience that the take will subdue. Feels more like your fly just stops rather than gets eaten.
    If you like throwing leeches, switch it up to something with a lot of action. Lots of legs, flash, movement, etc. and then drop it in right on them. They aren't going to travel. You're gonna get it when it passes within a couple inches of their face or not at all.

I equate it to the lady friend trying to talk to you when your playing NHL on the Xbox, totally in the zone. To get you to listen, She either has to
    A) smack you upside the head with something heavy
    Or
    B) stand in front of the TV wearing... not much of anything.
    Great info, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• mbrenna
    replied
    Originally posted by icb12 View Post
    The game changes when the water is cold like that. Its not that they aren't opportunistic. Its just that they aren't going to move as much for it. You need to
    A) piss them off
    B) put something right in front of them that will get their attention

Heavier tips\flies, get it ALL the way down to the fish. If the fish aren't moving to your fly your technique-drift, swing, combo, whatever has to be placed perfect. It has also been my experience that the take will subdue. Feels more like your fly just stops rather than gets eaten.
    If you like throwing leeches, switch it up to something with a lot of action. Lots of legs, flash, movement, etc. and then drop it in right on them. They aren't going to travel. You're gonna get it when it passes within a couple inches of their face or not at all.

I equate it to the lady friend trying to talk to you when your playing NHL on the Xbox, totally in the zone. To get you to listen, She either has to
    A) smack you upside the head with something heavy
    Or
    B) stand in front of the TV wearing... not much of anything.

I think you've got it nailed. Although, I switched to washed out flesh, washed out beads, both, nymphs, etc. nada! I put some good drifts, over the same holes I caught fish in the night before, to no avail. It was really cold, but not any colder than fishing the kenai bridge in January. Although that lake probably stays pretty warm. This weekend I'm going back for three more days of fishing. Probably going to stay at the mouth and maybe head north to check out those creeks too. If the trout are nowhere to be found its up the road for ptarmigan and grouse hunting. I'll report back.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X