Favorite fish caught with a flyrod poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite fish caught with a flyrod poll

What is your favorite fish to catch with your flyrod? And tell your reason why. I said rainbows. If I had more options I would have included some others like sheefish, cutthroat trout, and I probably would have put rainbows and steelhead in separate categories but I only had ten options to choose.

My reason why is that rainbows are by far the most beautiful fish in and pound per pound they are the best fighters IMO.
    King Salmon
    6.74%
    Silver Salmon
    16.85%
    Chum Salmon
    2.25%
    Pink Salmon
    1.12%
    Red Salmon
    10.11%
    Rainbow Trout/Steelhead
    46.07%
    Dolly Varden/Arctic Char
    2.25%
    Arctic Grayling
    10.11%
    Lake Trout
    0.00%
    Northern Pike
    4.49%

The poll is expired.

Grayling, without a doubt. For me, it's not so much about the fish as about the places they live. Grayling represent beautiful, lonely places. Casting to an eager grayling with a fly on a remote mountain stream is good for the soul.

Comment

By a wide margin it's king salmon in saltwater. You have to find them pressed tight against kelp beds or reefs, which you sometimes can't manage for a year or two. But when it all comes together, it's about the best ride on a fly rod in Alaska. Hooked in such shallow water, all they want is deep water and FAST! Get them over about 30# and your 10WT is going to feel like a 3WT. Break the magic 50# barrier (only done it twice on a fly rod) and you'll sincerely regret using only a 10WT. Backing? No less than 250 yards, and with so little, you better be firing up the engine to give chase.
      "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
      Merle Haggard

Comment

I could have not said it better..........Grayling #1 (Especially the Grayling on the East end of Lake Clark)

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
        Grayling, without a doubt. For me, it's not so much about the fish as about the places they live. Grayling represent beautiful, lonely places. Casting to an eager grayling with a fly on a remote mountain stream is good for the soul.
        ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Comment

This. Pure magic.
          If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Comment

Wow! These are some interesting responses. When I made this poll my prediction was that rainbow trout would be the clear favorite. But it appears I am wrong. I too thoroughly enjoy catching grayling on a flyrod. For reasons already mentioned, but also because they are the #1 fish to catch on dry flies in Alaska IMO. You can catch rainbows on dry files too, but nothing can match the dry fly action of a grayling. And I do love catching fish on dry flies. It's a blast watching them rise up to the surface to snatch a dry. But, I still have to say rainbows are my favorite.

Comment

Hear, hear!
              Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Comment

Though I whole heartedly agree with you, some of these same places you mentioned can be found with beautiful bows. It is a tough choice, but I would have to tip my hat to the bow only because the fight is where its at. I have never had a grayling come out of the water like a bow.

Comment

Steelhead without a doubt. Sockeye are pretty awesome also, but steelies on a big bead headed prince nymph are pretty astounding.

Fish on!
                  You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Comment

I will add silvers to the list, super aggresive and hard fighting fish that will crush a swinging fly.

Comment

Silvers on top water gear!

Comment

I voted for bows/metal..

But pike and silvers gave them a run for their money. Its all about the take.
                        Pike absolutely torpedoing a big uber nasty fly stripped at mach 10....c'mon-that's stupidly fun.
                        Silvers when they are hormonal and ticked off- same feeling.

But bows you can get the same take, but they outclass them in every other way.

Comment

Although dry fly fishing for large grayling is unreal fun and exciting fishing for bows/steelhead ranks up there for me. I have caught many rainbows and I still get surprised with some antics they pull to get off the line. I was left speechless at a nice bow last year in the parks as it jumped out around four feet into the overhanging trees to snap my line. Always a different fight.
                          http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Comment

I had a non-fly steelhead in L48 jump the bank and roll around in the weeds until it threw hook and flopped back in. I was in a boat.

(Never have caught one on fly though)

Comment

Silvers for the pure fight and rainbows to watch them jump and dance (and the amazing colors). Actually I don't think I have a favorite! Chums are a blast, grayling are scrappers, and landing kings with flyrod is special just because of the size....one of these days hope to fish for sheefish.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X