Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steelhead Fly Patterns

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steelhead Fly Patterns

    Simple question asking for a simple answer. I am going to a river this fall that has an elusive run of steelhead. I have fished very little for steelhead so I am asking for some advice. My expectations are not very high. I know I am searching for a unicorn, but if you could take only FIVE fly patterns with you to fish for steelhead, what would you bring?

  • #2
    what river? flys would depend on the river. Beads would be my go to.

    Comment


    • #3
      Do I have to choose one color only for each pattern???

      Garcia\rodman globugs
      Squidros in chartreuse/black
      Rubber legged Hot head/hot bead nymphs
      MOAls in black/white frost
      ESLs in pink/black

      That would pretty much cover the size range and color range for my personal fishing. If I get more colors, I'd tie more of the same in various other colors, including some ESLs reversed IE green butt skunk-esque.

      Comment


      • #4
        If it is a smaller stream with clear water, my go to "fly" would be an 8 to 10 mm bead in a natural orange or pink color fished under a strike indicator (aka bobber) This can also be effective on larger streams, just a little harder to effectively cover all of the available holding water.

        Comment


        • #5
          On top of everything mentioned, I've done well with epoxy fry patterns and various flesh patterns. The old tried and true "cotton candy" has produced when nothing else will.
          Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by icb12 View Post
            Do I have to choose one color only for each pattern???

            Garcia\rodman globugs
            Squidros in chartreuse/black
            Rubber legged Hot head/hot bead nymphs
            MOAls in black/white frost
            ESLs in pink/black

            That would pretty much cover the size range and color range for my personal fishing. If I get more colors, I'd tie more of the same in various other colors, including some ESLs reversed IE green butt skunk-esque.
            X2. ESL's and large rubber legged beaded nymphs were getting smashed in Yakutat when I was there.
            http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Dean river tigers, polar shrimp, 12 or 14mm beads, money bugs, straight yarn. In no particular order. All very successful for me on the Situk.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                I can't remember what it's called, but this kind of fly slays the steel!
                "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Awesome. Thanks for the responses guys. And the river in question is the Gulkana. Supposedly the farthest north run of steelhead in North America. Not a big run. And I know the chances of catching one there are slim, but it's worth a shot right? The only thing I can conclusively determine in my 30+ years or so of fishing is that you can't catch one sitting on the couch.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by DannerAK View Post
                    I can't remember what it's called, but this kind of fly slays the steel!
                    That's a fly??? It looks like a kwikfish or something. Nice looking steelie.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by DannerAK View Post
                      I can't remember what it's called, but this kind of fly slays the steel!
                      These work extremely well :topjob:

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	hook2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	2492540
                      Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Steelhead Fly Patterns

                        Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                        These work extremely well :topjob:

                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]80304[/ATTACH]
                        I like your style!
                        "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
                          Simple question asking for a simple answer. I am going to a river this fall that has an elusive run of steelhead. I have fished very little for steelhead so I am asking for some advice. My expectations are not very high. I know I am searching for a unicorn, but if you could take only FIVE fly patterns with you to fish for steelhead, what would you bring?
                          I only have caught them on 3 patterns (all with lead eyes, all on 1/0 hooks):

                          Pink bunny leech
                          Black bunny leech
                          White egg-sucking leech (orange head)

                          Isn't the plastic lure in the photo called a "wiggle-wort"? I think they have rattles in them also.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I guess we aren't all equipped with a sense of humor...
                            "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well Danner, I was chuckling. While I love swinging flies for steelies, there's nothing better than a feisty beast smashing a plug. Good fun.
                              Bushwhack, I think the flies mentioned above will serve you well, and for goodness sake get your expectations up! A confident attitude makes a huge difference in your fishing success. Can't wait for you to post a photo of your catch. Have fun.

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X