Willow & Montana Creek Conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willow & Montana Creek Conditions?

A friend and I are planning on floating either Willow from Shirley Town to Deception Ck or Montana Creek from Yoder to Sunshine in one man rafts. Has anyone floated either section recently? I would like to avoid a bunch of portaging.

Thanks for your help.

tt

Originally posted by trouting_thomas View Post
    A friend and I are planning on floating either Willow from Shirley Town to Deception Ck or Montana Creek from Yoder to Sunshine in one man rafts. Has anyone floated either section recently? I would like to avoid a bunch of portaging.

Thanks for your help.

tt
    I haven't floated either of them recently, but I have floated both of the sections you are referring to and all I can say is you will more than likely have some portaging, but probably not too bad. Especially in a one-man cat. Be careful on Willow. There is a lot of crap (nails, plywood, broken glass etc. from the flood a couple years ago) in the upper river to watch out for.

Comment

Originally posted by trouting_thomas View Post

Thanks for your help.

tt
      I was there this past Tuesday and it was low low up at Yoder. Here's the gauge numbers: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Comment

Here ya go
        http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ak/nwis/current/?type=flow
        All the rivers in Ak that are monitored.

Comment

Don't bother. Hardly any fish up that high anymore. Seems like all of the salmon dropped early and the trout followed suit.

Comment

Lots of bows on beads from highway down last weekend. Silvers were tough though.

Comment

I concur with CToBias, salmon ran early up the river, dropped, and are in the dying mode. Trout would likely be down at the mouth for flesh.

Comment

Thanks for the spot on advice. We floated before seeing the comments on the fish having already dropped low in the stream. Still had a good time and caught a few on the Willow float below Deneki.

Comment

Any updates? I am heading up that way and was hoping the river was in decent shape. Going to bring both beads and flesh.

Comment

It blew up today. Nearly tripled in volume. Can't say what it looks like but be prepared for higher water and dirty conditions for a few days. More rain in the forecast.
                    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Comment

All blown and running muddy yesterday

Comment

Did not fish Willow or Montana; fished a little north of that and watched the river we were on rise as we were fishing it yesterday.
                        Dan

Comment

Water levels are falling fast. Fished/floated Little Willow today and wife and I caught 26 rainbows and 1 grayling- nothing big but a beautiful day!

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X