Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beads or egg patern?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Beads or egg patern?

    If this has already been beat to death here forgive me.....
    It seems, from what Ive been seeing in my research, that beads are what everyone's using? over egg patern's
    As a dedicated fly fisherman I have a hard time using a plastic bead and a bare hook. from what I gather plastic beads aren't permitted in "fly fishing only" zones but have fly fisherman accepted plastic beads as a standard practice?

    I mean no disrespect to anyone using them, just having a hard time understanding.

  • #2
    Just my prejudice, but I don't like beads. I spent too many years fishing egg patterns before beads came along, and I've been tying flies for over 50 years. I just get more satisfaction out of the flies. To each his own, until the beading methods result in lots of snags. Don't like that at all. As for beads being lures rather than flies in some restricted waters, that's my understanding even if I've never read the law. Doesn't affect me, so it's someone else's worry. Call me a geezer, and you're making me proud! :topjob:
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

    Comment


    • #3
      @BrownBear...I couldn't agree more! I've been tying LOTS of flies for my up coming trip to AK, Tied lots of egg patterns in various colors, just was wondering if I was wasting my time and would be better off with a bag of plastic beads, would MUCH rather fish egg pattern over plastic if it's just as successful?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Felcie View Post
        ...if it's just as successful?
        It is for me.

        Here's a neat stunt:

        Rather than packing along a bunch of beads, pack along your egg yarn. Kinda fun to tie on a hook using an egg loop, then pass the yarn through it and cut your own eggs right there on the stream. Sometimes it's really surprising what they'll hit when nothing else is working. And certainly nothing you thought of tying before you left home. Best I experienced was the time a sky blue egg with a flame spot smacked the kings in spring, and when a chartreuse egg with blue and pink spots smacked the silvers in the fall. Never worked again in subsequent years, but on those days the bags of yarn in my fly vest were priceless. Try matching that with a bag-o-beads!
        "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
        Merle Haggard

        Comment


        • #5
          Yes, a bead pegged above a bare hook is NOT defined as a fly and is not legal to fish in fly-fishing only waters in AK. It's pretty easy to solve that issue by fishing a bead above a fly, my favorite is a #8/10 BH pheasant tail. I stopped using yarn based egg patterns a long time ago, simply because soft egg patterns have a nasty tendency to be swallowed down the gullet making removal problematic. Beads tend to get spit out pretty quickly and I usually have no deep hooking issues with beads, regardless if they are pegged or not. A guide friend of mine has a pretty relevant statement: 80% of anglers are fishing beads in AK (and catching lots of fish), 5% refuse to fish a bead because it's not a "fly" (and are not catching many fish), and the last 15% are lying about not fishing beads (and catching lots of fish!)!!!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NorcalBob View Post
            Yes, a bead pegged above a bare hook is NOT defined as a fly and is not legal to fish in fly-fishing only waters in AK. It's pretty easy to solve that issue by fishing a bead above a fly, my favorite is a #8/10 BH pheasant tail. I stopped using yarn based egg patterns a long time ago, simply because soft egg patterns have a nasty tendency to be swallowed down the gullet making removal problematic. Beads tend to get spit out pretty quickly and I usually have no deep hooking issues with beads, regardless if they are pegged or not. A guide friend of mine has a pretty relevant statement: 80% of anglers are fishing beads in AK (and catching lots of fish), 5% refuse to fish a bead because it's not a "fly" (and are not catching many fish), and the last 15% are lying about not fishing beads (and catching lots of fish!)!!!!
            Be careful. Page 51, bottom right

            http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

            Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed in fly-fishing-only waters.

            Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

            Comment


            • #7
              I've always used beads. Could be that egg patterns will work, but I've tried and consistently had way more fish on beads.

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the input and that's quite interesting, as that conflicts with a picture on the bottom of page 6 of the 2015 Southwest Regulations that shows a bead attached to a hook, and a bead pegged above a wooly bugger. Wonder which one is correct? Especially since all the guides I used in the SW all used a bead above a fly.


                Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                Be careful. Page 51, bottom right

                http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...egulations.pdf

                Beads not attached to the fly are not allowed in fly-fishing-only waters.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Called matching the hatch right......?:confused:

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by NorcalBob View Post
                    Thanks for the input and that's quite interesting, as that conflicts with a picture on the bottom of page 6 of the 2015 Southwest Regulations that shows a bead attached to a hook, and a bead pegged above a wooly bugger. Wonder which one is correct? Especially since all the guides I used in the SW all used a bead above a fly.
                    Neither is legal. The picture is used to illustrate what an "attractor" looks like.

                    (From the regulation booklet) A bead not attached to the hook is an attractor, not a fly
                    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Felcie View Post
                      @BrownBear...I couldn't agree more! I've been tying LOTS of flies for my up coming trip to AK, Tied lots of egg patterns in various colors, just was wondering if I was wasting my time and would be better off with a bag of plastic beads, would MUCH rather fish egg pattern over plastic if it's just as successful?
                      Coming from the East Coast, I'd buy a bag of beads. Or ten bags..
                      I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Felcie View Post
                        If this has already been beat to death here forgive me.....
                        It seems, from what Ive been seeing in my research, that beads are what everyone's using? over egg patern's
                        As a dedicated fly fisherman I have a hard time using a plastic bead and a bare hook. from what I gather plastic beads aren't permitted in "fly fishing only" zones but have fly fisherman accepted plastic beads as a standard practice?

                        I mean no disrespect to anyone using them, just having a hard time understanding.
                        Beads catch more fish as they can imitate the egg 'hatch' better than yarn/foam egg patterns. They can be painted to match exactly what is in the water and sized appropriately. You won't have a hard time using them once you start catching fish, if that is your goal.
                        "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by muzzyman87 View Post
                          Coming from the East Coast, I'd buy a bag of beads. Or ten bags..
                          Ouch,,,,

                          Thanks everyone else for your input....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            beads are more productive…………..but try both and see what happens.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Not intended for seasoned bead fishing anglers here, but if your interested I wrote a small article for ADF&G online magazine about fishing beads:

                              http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=622
                              sigpic
                              Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
                              www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

                              Comment

                              Footer Adsense

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X