• Time
  • Show
Clear All

You blasphemous instigator.

5 species of pacific salmon.

steelhead are.... steelhead!

(edited)

-Dan
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 08-08-2011, 18:06.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

I stopped reading when I read the first word, "ACLU"

As for Fishapalooza....

What is a good shuttle service?

I have read about Wildman's being a popular choice, but also heard there were a few others.

Kenai Cache?

Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground?

Anyone know who all is offering shuttles? The wife and I will be needing one a few times this trip. Didn't use any the last two years as we had lots of Paloozers around to shuttle with.

Also, is there a grocery store in Sterling for basic food items? Don't plan on riding into Soldotna unless needed.

Does the campground charge during our time, Sept 5-12? I know the last two years it was free camping, but we went in mid/late Sept the last two years. Timing is a bit earlier this year and I was wondering if we needed to pay. Happy to do so, was just curious what date the free camping began.

-Dan
      The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Comment

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
        I stopped reading when I read the first word, "ACLU"

As for Fishapalooza....

What is a good shuttle service?

I have read about Wildman's being a popular choice, but also heard there were a few others.

Kenai Cache?

Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground?

Anyone know who all is offering shuttles? The wife and I will be needing one a few times this trip. Didn't use any the last two years as we had lots of Paloozers around to shuttle with.

Also, is there a grocery store in Sterling for basic food items? Don't plan on riding into Soldotna unless needed.

Does the campground charge during our time, Sept 5-12? I know the last two years it was free camping, but we went in mid/late Sept the last two years. Timing is a bit earlier this year and I was wondering if we needed to pay. Happy to do so, was just curious what date the free camping began.

-Dan
        Don't know about the grocery in Sterling as I always go to Soldotna (it's only afew miles further)
        Most use Wildmans for de upper Shuttle but I know Max is also doing upper shuttles now.
        The campground will be charging for at least some of your stay. Don't know how long as they seem to change on a yearly basis.
        I think you can count on them charging until at least the 10th and probably until the middle of the following week.
        sigpic
        www.arcticangler.ca
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy_7mPiqoqw&t=11s

Comment

Max is still doing his shuttles on the lower part of the river. He teamed up with Kenai Cache in cooper landing. Colin is doing them out of there as well as wildmans. There is a little mom and pop store in cooper landing that has stuff but there is nothing really in sterling for groceries anymore. Soldotna is the place for that
          Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Comment

Dan, don't know for sure but on the web site for the Russian river camp ground it says the last day of the season is sept 6-11. So I'm guessing most all of your trip should be free camping. See you there.

Comment

Good deal. Don't mind paying, just didn't know exactly what to expect since we had camped there the last two years for free.

Thanks to a generous Texan (anonymous unless he chimes in) we are in good shape for the shuttling.:topjob:

Using his vehicle to carry the trailer and raft I rented from Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground. Was going to just rent his trailer, but at last minute decided to use his trailer and raft. Sure will make the flight up from North Carolina easier. It will be the first time I ever flew to Alaska with under 300 lbs of gear. ha ha...

Max is the man and will be joining us for dinner around the campfire one night, perhaps the 6th or 7th. Looking forward to making him something in the dutch oven. Least I can do for all he has done for me.

My buddy Joe, many of you met last year, will be there same dates as us with his wife. Doing the tourist thing for a few days, then fishing 3-4 days. His wife did a remote float on the Kugururok in arctic NW Alaska with us 5 years ago, but that is the only part of Alaska she has seen. It will be a treat for her to see Seward, Homer, Cooper Landing, etc.. He will use their rental car and along with the borrowed vehicle, our shuttles will be easy. Of course when you mix in Chuck, Dave, etc.. shuttles are always easy during Palooza. Carrie and I may be floating alone a few days till Chuck and Dave get into camp, in such case I may just stick my thumb out and see what happens. I am not worried about being abducted.

Just went upstairs and inventoried my bead selection.

I could sell bracelets at a girl scout Jamboree.

See you goobers soon.

-Dan

Comment

There is the tesoro station in sterling that has a few odds and ends for groceries, along with great burgers and ice cream. Not sure what you're looking to pick up.

Planning on being there quite a bit this year myself as my hunt trip fell through.

@dan, I have a 16' cataraft amd trailer that I'll probably leave down there while I work during the week.

Comment

'Palooza wear order is in!!!
                  Now I just have to find room for it in my vehicle!!!!
                  See y'all in September with the schwag.
                  sigpic
                  www.arcticangler.ca

Comment

Originally posted by akseakayaker View Post

Planning on being there quite a bit this year myself as my hunt trip fell through.

Sorry your hunt went south, but will look forward to seeing you at Palooza. It is a great time man, wouldn't be taking my wife for the third year in a row otherwise. We are giving up a remote float trip (my passion) to do this trip, so it was not a decision reached lightly. There is a fantastic group of folks at Palooza. The fishing can be outstanding and the company is guaranteed to be. I sent you a PM on the other comment. Thank you.

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
                      See y'all in September with the schwag.

Never heard that word before.

Sounds dirty.

What else should I expect from someone from the country that invented midget tossing.

Which makes me think of slippery midgets.

Now that sounds dirty too.

See what you did Dave??

Thanks....

-Dan

Comment

Originally posted by danattherock View Post
                        What else should I expect from someone from the country that invented midget tossing.

-Dan
                        Hey Goober it was the crazy Austrailians dat toss dem midgets!!!!
                        Not de Canooks!!!!
                        sigpic
                        www.arcticangler.ca

Comment

Hey there Palooza Fans. Just finalized my dates as Dan has mentioned. Will be there Sept 5-12 with the wife in tow this time.

After hearing the stories from last year she wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I am sure the hospitality will be awesome. as it was last year.

We will do the mandatory tourist stuff on the way down, as the wife has only seen Kotzebue and points North. We will be fishing the 7th-11th.....maybe more. May be bringing the Ally Canoe as my 17ft travel cat is still without a frame. Was really lookin forward to havin some Palooza River Rats fish with me this year. Next year The Carolina Cat will have a Hospitality seat open for any Alaskan (or the occasional stray Canuck) willing to ride.

Anybody heard from Nick lately? Thought he may need a piggyback ride back to his camper. Quyen said he will try to get down and share some refreshments but he may not be able to fish much. What about Pete? I spoke to Jose and he will be there as well. Cant wait to hang out with the Palooza crowd again this year.

Dave, you up for bashing some chromers on the Middle again? I had a friggin' blast doing it last year. Nothin beats sight casting to stacked silvers with 5" Dolly Llama.

Drop by the campsite any time. We will have our tent pitched near Dan and Dave's campsite. Stop and share a beer and some good grub. Dan and I will put on some nice Dutch oven dinners and deserts, so stop by and grab a bite. All fisherman, hunters, and other liars welcome! Anyone found drinking Carolina Tea from a milk jug will be asked to leave

See you soon, -Joe

Comment

Originally posted by twoatlow8 View Post

Anyone found drinking Carolina Tea from a milk jug will be asked to leave

-Joe

Hope you basterds have fun without me

Dan

Comment

I'm up for some magnum chromer action Joe.
                              Just 31 days 18 hours and 22 minutes until Sahtu and I hit the road to 'Palooza!!!
                              Not that I'm keeping track or anything.
                              sigpic
                              www.arcticangler.ca

Comment

For anyone with a vehicle that can pull a trailer, there is a pretty good deal on a raft and trailer rental. If not having a raft is keeping you from coming down to Palooza, check out this thread on the rafting forum. There are a few viable options for raft and trailer rentals. We have lots of guys shuttling together so it is easy once you show up with a raft. Get a boat and come down and join in the fun.

Below is from recent thread on the rafting forum......

Thanks for the heads up Familyman:topjob:

Never used Groupon, but my brother has and mentions some good deals.

Details below on the raft rental deal.

Before man conquered his fear of water, he amused himself with dust sports such as pushing boulders off cliffs, wrestling tumbleweeds, and falling in the dust. Enjoy an aquatic adventure with today’s Groupon to Alaska Raft Connection. Choose between the following options:

• For $100, you get a two-day do-it-yourself raft rental (a $200 value).
                                • For $150, you get a two-day assembled raft and trailer rental (a $300 value).

Alaska Raft Connection outfits adventurous do-it-yourselfers for self-guided water voyages along Alaska’s pristine scenic waterways. Water wranglers can saddle up in one of the Alaska Raft Connection's many inflatable floatables before setting out on the river for a two-day fishing trip, or in the local pool for two days of getting yelled at by lifeguards. Equipped with leading brands such as AIRE, NRS, Sotar, and the shop's own brand of self-bailing inflatable rafts, the pontoon purveyors at Alaska Raft Connection can ensure patrons will leave with the right raft for any journey. With 13- to 18-foot self-bailing rafts, intrepid explorers can safely tax along on their aqueous adventures, and the 14- to 18-foot catamaran-raft hybrids bring a Polynesian flair to the experience. All rafts and catarafts include either a rowing or paddle-frame-mounting package and will be pre-assembled for those who choose the assembled raft and trailer package.

Alaska Raft Connection
                                Old Seward / Oceanview
                                1120 E Huffman Rd., Suite 537
                                Anchorage, Alaska 99515
                                (907) 250-2271

I am sure anyone interested could contact them directly and get the same deal. Perhaps work out a 3-4 day rental.

Some folks (like me) may not want to sign up and give email address to Groupon in fear of occasional junk mail or email offers. I got a secondary email address for this purpose and used it to access Groupon this morning.

Could be a good way for someone without a raft to visit Fishapalooza on the Upper Kenai in Sept

I will be there Sept 5-12 and many others from the forum will be there during most of mid Sept. Pick up the raft and come down for a few days. Many of us shuttle together and leap frog down river. A good time for sure. Camping at the rainbow lot at the Russian River Campground. Sticky (top of all threads) in the fly fishing forum gives more info on Palooza. Max at Alaska Canoe and Campground in Sterling rented me a raft and trailer for Palooza this year. Goo Vogt of Alaska Wildwater in Anchorage rents Sotar rafts. Many options for folks that may want to join the Palooza crowd but don't yet have a raft. Do drop in.

-Dan

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...697#post984697

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X