fly tying question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fly tying question

Does it matter what color the hook is red, silver, black? Also what size hook should I use for kings?

thanks, Wes

Questions are kind of vague grouse.... Are you tying a specific fly? The answers change depending on what pattern you are tying.
    AKmud
    sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

Stop by 3 Rivers Fly & Tackle. Great guys in that shop. You won't feel like you have to buy something.

Some online resources worth exploring:
      http://www.alaskaflyfishingonline.com/afb/
      http://www.alaskaflyfish.net/

Good luck.
      No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Use any color hook you want. Never heard of the color mattering, but with all the colors now available - who knows?
        Here's a good video tutorial - using 2/0 hooks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-Jn...eature=related
        Check the regs though - there has been a limit on hook gap.
        Good luck.
        No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Hook color does not matter as much as you may think. Though some of us feel like matching a hook to the dubbing is nice, it really doesn't matter. Buy hooks that don't break the bank, practice tying, then dip into savings to " livin" things up

Don

Comment

I'm with Don h - hook color is not very important IMHO. In fact, I find the more exact a tied fly looks to the real bug it is imitating, the less effective it is. Most of us have had the experience of killing it on the river with a beat up fly that has been chomped on and shredded by fish after fish. Swap it out for a new one and there are no more takers. Well tied flies that are suggestive are the way to go. Don't lose sleep over the color of your hooks - just make sure they are sharp.
            Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, and Flyfishing Gear
            Fly Tying
            Fly Fishing Rod,Reel and Equipment Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by DSFlyman View Post
              I'm with Don h - hook color is not very important IMHO. In fact, I find the more exact a tied fly looks to the real bug it is imitating, the less effective it is. Most of us have had the experience of killing it on the river with a beat up fly that has been chomped on and shredded by fish after fish. Swap it out for a new one and there are no more takers. Well tied flies that are suggestive are the way to go. Don't lose sleep over the color of your hooks - just make sure they are sharp.

Absolutely. Whenever I have fishing days like that I always dread having to change or lose that fly to a snag. Taking the point of another hook to a fresh fly and "giving it a treatment" works pretty well though.

Comment

That makes sense - that hungry trout won't inspect potential food for perfection... and that less symmetry, less tidy might make a fly more realistic. Good points, DSFlyman, .338WM.

Also true IMO, that sometimes fish will take something different - something out of the ordinary, especially on slow days. The only steelhead I saw landed one Fall day was on a black sculpin pattern with a ...chartreuese head.
                A change of hook color might be just the thing for fishing those slow days.

Good thread.
                No habitat, no hunter.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                Working...
                X