Valdez Pinks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valdez Pinks

For anybody interested, pinks are available in catchable numbers and will only continue to build as we approach the kid's pink salmon derby. I got a 6-day break from work due to a schedule change, and headed back to the Klutina, intent on getting into more reds. My contacts there told me red numbers had slowed significantly, and 6 hours of flossing yielded just one sockeye, so I went to Plan B, a trip to Valdez. I fished two early afternoon high tides on the 17th and 18th of July. Interestingly, the pinks were there during the incoming tides, jumping and rolling, but on both days waited until about an hour into the outgoing tide to go into "suicide bite" mode. Also very interesting was the fact they clobbered Vibrax spinners on the 17th, but WOULD NOT TOUCH THEM on the 18th, when they elected instead to clobber Pixies!!! Once I figured that out everybody switched to Pixies and stringers were filled. On both days I was able to obtain plenty of bright, fresh pinks while releasing numerous large, toothy, humpy males.

I had never intentionally targeted Valdez pinks previously but must admit it was a lot of fun, and as usual I met many great and friendly fellow fishermen and women while there. I had no idea so many people went after them outside of the kid's derby! I may just add this pink trip to my annual summer itinerary just to bridge the gap between Copper River reds/kings and Valdez silvers.

Yes the pinks are in. Seiners hit them hard the other day but the hatchery had sufficient numbers there. Not many people fishing yet. Next seiner opening might be a few days away as they build up brood stock. The orcas seem to have gone back out too so they won't be scattering them either.

Patriot Life Member NRA
    Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
    Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
    Working...
    X