Silvers in Mat-Su area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvers in Mat-Su area?

I come up from Texas every 3 - 4 years and fish mainly along the Parks Highway area from Willow - Talkeetna. I will be arriving a week from today. Of course I always have to plan way in advance and hope I hit them right. If anyone has any information on the status of silvers up in this area I would appreciate hearing it, public or private. I just always like to have an idea of what to expect, and always looking for new areas to explore, whether on or off the beaten path. Thanks all! If you are ever headed to Texas for bass, I have a boat and glad to show you some Texas bassin'!

Originally posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    I come up from Texas every 3 - 4 years and fish mainly along the Parks Highway area from Willow - Talkeetna. I will be arriving a week from today. Of course I always have to plan way in advance and hope I hit them right. If anyone has any information on the status of silvers up in this area I would appreciate hearing it, public or private. I just always like to have an idea of what to expect, and always looking for new areas to explore, whether on or off the beaten path. Thanks all! If you are ever headed to Texas for bass, I have a boat and glad to show you some Texas bassin'!
    I saw plenty of pinks and chum salmon in that water shed this week. Silvers are starting come in so I think your timing is good.

Comment

It's a little bit early still. I usually start fishing for silvers about the 2nd or 3rd week of August. But it all depends on the river you are fishing. Silvers are already starting to show up in some places, and silver fishing on the Kenai River won't get good for at least another month or more. So it all depends on the river. But if you are heading up next week I think you will be coming at a good time for the Parks streams. How long will you be staying?

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
        It's a little bit early still. I usually start fishing for silvers about the 2nd or 3rd week of August. But it all depends on the river you are fishing. Silvers are already starting to show up in some places, and silver fishing on the Kenai River won't get good for at least another month or more. So it all depends on the river. But if you are heading up next week I think you will be coming at a good time for the Parks streams. How long will you be staying?
        Thanks. I'll be there 5 days.

Comment

Mouth of the Deshka was pretty busy all weekend.
          Bk
          BK Marine Services 232-6399
          Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
          Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
          Www.bkmarineservices.com

Comment

Originally posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
            Thanks. I'll be there 5 days.
            I know you probably don't want to hear this, but pretty much every creek is dangerously blown out and flooded right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Spanner View Post
              I know you probably don't want to hear this, but pretty much every creek is dangerously blown out and flooded right now.
              No I didn't but thanks for letting me know. I am usually dealing with it being too dry and needing a little extra rain/depth. What does this do to them? Just spread them out?

Comment

Silver fishing is usually really good on the Kenai the middle of August and on. This year, it's phenomenal right now thanks to the lack of commercial fishing the last week of July. It's easy limits all the way around on the Kenai right now and I don't expect that to change for the next two months.
                An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Comment

Originally posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
                  Silver fishing is usually really good on the Kenai the middle of August and on. This year, it's phenomenal right now thanks to the lack of commercial fishing the last week of July. It's easy limits all the way around on the Kenai right now and I don't expect that to change for the next two months.
                  Yeah, I think there is an early run and a late run. The early run probably is just starting. But you can catch bright chrome silvers clear up until October on the Kenai. I've seen them in there while rainbow fishing in October and my buddies were catching them. And one of my friends told me he was still catching some that were still in decent shape even in the winter time.

FYI, a note to bassfishinglawyer. I wouldn't worry too much about the flooding. I think clear skies are in the forecast in a few days and usually the creeks clear out pretty fast after the rain stops. Plus the high water makes the silvers make a mad dash up the rivers. So in theory it might help you out a little by the time you get here.

Comment

FYI, a note to bassfishinglawyer. I wouldn't worry too much about the flooding. I think clear skies are in the forecast in a few days and usually the creeks clear out pretty fast after the rain stops. Plus the high water makes the silvers make a mad dash up the rivers. So in theory it might help you out a little by the time you get here.
                    That's great - thank you!

Comment

Yeah, I think there is an early run and a late run. The early run probably is just starting. But you can catch bright chrome silvers clear up until October on the Kenai. I've seen them in there while rainbow fishing in October and my buddies were catching them. And one of my friends told me he was still catching some that were still in decent shape even in the winter time.

We start catching silvers in early July on the Kenai every year. The first run usually peaks around August 10-20 and the second run starts late august and runs through February and March. As a lifelong resident and sport fisher on the peninsula, I can tell you from experience that the silver fishing in October can be amazing and I've caught silvers in February that were chrome bright and covered in sea lice. But the majority of the two runs is August 1 through Sept 20.
                      An unarmed man is subject, an armed man is a citizen.

Comment

Are you primarily fishing the lower Kenai right now?

Comment

I saw that the lower section was doing well, hoping the middle section starts filling up this week. Lost a couple on Sunday.

Comment

We start catching silvers in early July on the Kenai every year. The first run usually peaks around August 10-20 and the second run starts late august and runs through February and March. As a lifelong resident and sport fisher on the peninsula, I can tell you from experience that the silver fishing in October can be amazing and I've caught silvers in February that were chrome bright and covered in sea lice. But the majority of the two runs is August 1 through Sept 20.
                            Nice. Thanks for the report. Here is a couple valley silvers from this morning. Not as big as those Kenai silvers but I'll take what I can get. For some reason the picture wouldn't come up, but you can click on the link below to see it.

https://imgur.com/a/J9mKXxK

Comment

Nice. Thanks for the report. Here is a couple valley silvers from this morning. Not as big as those Kenai silvers but I'll take what I can get.

https://imgur.com/a/J9mKXxK
                              Boomer! You even have the right shirt on - I'm a sooner! Shoot me any information you can. Be there in about 50 hours.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X