New to forum and Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum and Alaska

I will be staying in Girdwood for 9 days beginning July 15. I am bringing a medium action 7' spinning rig with 15 pound test. I am bringing 8wt. fly rod. I would really like to catch enough fish to eat salmon every day I am there. Any suggestions on where to fish and what to use would be helpful. Thanks

In Alaska during June all one need do is open their door and cast a net, or rod, to catch our plentiful salmon.

Do you have a vehicle or vessel, or will you be only in Girdwood? You are in a great central spot to do a lot of fishing any and everyday, but if you want to stay in Girdwood you probably won't catch much. What are your time and distance restrictions, do you want to be back in Girdwood by 6pm every night?
    I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned. Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Girdwood. fishing

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
      In Alaska during June all one need do is open their door and cast a net, or rod, to catch our plentiful salmon.

Do you have a vehicle or vessel, or will you be only in Girdwood? You are in a great central spot to do a lot of fishing any and everyday, but if you want to stay in Girdwood you probably won't catch much. What are your time and distance restrictions, do you want to be back in Girdwood by 6pm every night?

We will have a vehicle. From my research it is looking like Bird Creek, Ship Creek, and California Creek might be our best bets around Girdwood. But also looking at Placer and streams around Whittier. What do you think? Yes we plan on being back around 1800 or so each night. Depending on tides I am planning on early morning or late night fishing.

Comment

Drive down to the kenai Peninsula. The Kenai river will be pumping thousand's of sockeye fish each day with high's probably 50,000 fish in 24 hours. Lots of camprounds to fish from. good luck.

Comment

Girdwood is not the best place to be basing from for fishing at that time unless you're willing to drive further than the places you've mentioned. There may be some very early silvers and pinks entering Bird and Ship Creeks at that time, but it will be sparse and pinks are generally considered to be the least desirable salmon as far as eating. If eating salmon is your goal, I would look at doing a saltwater charter out of Whittier for silvers and spending at least a couple days down on the Kenai. Early in your trip look at spending a day around the middle to lower Kenai River, and then right at the end of your trip consider a day on either the upper Kenai or the Russiann (or back to the lower river, which should be peaking right at the end of your trip). Placer will be a waste of your time right then. You might find a few early pinks in the streams around Whittier. Personally, I would skip Ship Creek, as that is not the setting that most come to Alaska for.

Comment

Girdwood. fishing

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
            Girdwood is not the best place to be basing from for fishing at that time unless you're willing to drive further than the places you've mentioned. There may be some very early silvers and pinks entering Bird and Ship Creeks at that time, but it will be sparse and pinks are generally considered to be the least desirable salmon as far as eating. If eating salmon is your goal, I would look at doing a saltwater charter out of Whittier for silvers and spending at least a couple days down on the Kenai. Early in your trip look at spending a day around the middle to lower Kenai River, and then right at the end of your trip consider a day on either the upper Kenai or the Russiann (or back to the lower river, which should be peaking right at the end of your trip). Placer will be a waste of your time right then. You might find a few early pinks in the streams around Whittier. Personally, I would skip Ship Creek, as that is not the setting that most come to Alaska for.
            We have a charter secured for the 19th of July with Puffin Charters. Supposed to go outside the bay and catch silvers and maybe halibut and then inside the bay for more silvers. We will probably do Ship creek because it's close. I can see from the pictures it is a lot like opening day of trout season is here. But oh well. I do want to get down to the Kenai a couple times. The fish we catch on the charter I will ship home but I do want to eat fish at the Homeaway we are staying at. I talked to ADF&G to a very nice guy who gave me his phone number and said to call him right before we get there and he would tell me where the fish are. So that's nice.

Comment

If you just want to check out a cool place and have a different sort of experience, head to Hope for a day. You'll likely only catch pinks, but it is a beautiful drive and a cool setting for fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian M View Post
                If you just want to check out a cool place and have a different sort of experience, head to Hope for a day. You'll likely only catch pinks, but it is a beautiful drive and a cool setting for fishing.
                We like to not schedule a whole bunch when we travel. We take off and drive and what better place to do that than Alaska? I know we want to go to Homer and we are staying 2 days in Seward and now maybe a day in Hope. We travel to Europe about every other year because we have a Granddaughter in the U.K. and that's what we do there. I got to fly fish in Scotland and Ireland last year but it was not during the salmon runs. Caught lots of browns and rainbows and we found our fishing spot in Scotland just by driving around and looking at scenery, so I think I can convince the others on a trip to Hope. What stream or creek is in Hope? I don't mind catching pinks, chums, reds, it doesn't matter. Just think, I have only ever had fresh salmon once in my life years ago in Washington at a restaurant so not even sure how fresh.

Comment

I'll second Brian's recommendation to skip Ship Creek. From Girdwood it's about the same travel time to the Russian/Kenai.

At Ship Creek you have an ugly drive through Anchorage to the middle of a railroad yard with probably few (if any) fish coming into the creek.

At the Russian/Kenai you have exceptional (understatement of the year) scenery and rivers that will probably be so thick with sockeye you'll be giggling at how much fun you'll be having.

You can even hit Hope on your way to/from the Russian/Kenai area. Eat the sockeye out of the Kenai and catch-n-release the pinks/chums in Hope until your arm gets tired and your face hurts from smiling so much.

Comment

Resurrection Creek is in Hope. The pinks usually start to show up around July 18th, but every year is different. This is a pink year, so they should show up in very large numbers. Fish the incoming high tide down low for fresh pinks. You could hit 6-mile Creek on the way. As mentioned, the Lower Kenai near Soldotna should have good numbers of sockeye by July 17th or so.
                    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Comment

Ship Creek... called The Ditch for a reason.

Entry and exit can be difficult. Especially if you're not paying close attention to the tide and suddenly you're stuck in the mud. Local fire department has been called out before for rescues. The mud sucks you down before you realize you are stuck.

It's dirty. And cluttered. You may trip over people's lines who sit in lawn chairs and throw spinning rods. Cigarette smoke, and butts thrown on the ground. Bait cups and food wrappers strewn along the bankside.

As a fly fisherman, you are accustomed to a certain amount of streamside etiquette. Don't expect it there.

That said, I have fished there many times. But I hold my nose when I do, and worry that my car is going to get broke into while I'm there.

It is indeed the armpit of fishing opportunities.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeser View Post
                        I'll second Brian's recommendation to skip Ship Creek. From Girdwood it's about the same travel time to the Russian/Kenai.

At Ship Creek you have an ugly drive through Anchorage to the middle of a railroad yard with probably few (if any) fish coming into the creek.

At the Russian/Kenai you have exceptional (understatement of the year) scenery and rivers that will probably be so thick with sockeye you'll be giggling at how much fun you'll be having.

You can even hit Hope on your way to/from the Russian/Kenai area. Eat the sockeye out of the Kenai and catch-n-release the pinks/chums in Hope until your arm gets tired and your face hurts from smiling so much.
                        Wow! that sounds good. I have the book, Highway Angler so I guess it will tell me the accesses. I should probably find a good tackle shop close to Kenai/Russian. I am bringing an 8wt. fly rod and a medium/heavy spinning outfit. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by rbthuntr2 View Post
                          W I should probably find a good tackle shop close to Kenai/Russian.
                          Kenai Cache is solid and is within a couple miles of the Russian. Sackett's has excellent pizza and BBQ along with a good beer selection.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheeser View Post

That sounds good to me. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by FishGod View Post
                              Resurrection Creek is in Hope. The pinks usually start to show up around July 18th, but every year is different. This is a pink year, so they should show up in very large numbers. Fish the incoming high tide down low for fresh pinks. You could hit 6-mile Creek on the way. As mentioned, the Lower Kenai near Soldotna should have good numbers of sockeye by July 17th or so.
                              Thank you I think with ya'lls help I'm getting a plan together.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X