Copper River Dipnet Fishery Web Site New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5% Hatchery Comm Catch 2004

So, ADF&G stats show 6.5% of the commercial catch in 2004 was attributed to PWSAC hatchery fish. That's roughly 68,000 out of 1,050,000 commercial caught fish. The other 93.5% of the commercial caught fish were not created by PWSAC.

If I ever dip later in the summer during the second surge when those hatchery fish are heading home, I'll be sure and thank the PWSAC. In the meantime, I'll continue to be thankful to the rightful Creator for all the fish caught during the first half of the summer.

I'm glad that the PWS fleet can make a living. Don't like the self-aggrandizing attitude, though.

Comment

Originally posted by gr8fl View Post
      So, ADF&G stats show 6.5% of the commercial catch in 2004 was attributed to PWSAC hatchery fish. That's roughly 68,000 out of 1,050,000 commercial caught fish. The other 93.5% of the commercial caught fish were not created by PWSAC.

If I ever dip later in the summer during the second surge when those hatchery fish are heading home, I'll be sure and thank the PWSAC. In the meantime, I'll continue to be thankful to the rightful Creator for all the fish caught during the first half of the summer.

I'm glad that the PWS fleet can make a living. Don't like the self-aggrandizing attitude, though.
      Once again our resident statistician reaches deep into the bag and cherry picks a doozy!
      FYI the 2004 Gulkana/Crosswind stocks produced a dismal return. There happened to be a 65-80% mortality rate on fry due to over temperature of the rearing water when they were "experimenting w/ the new art of otolith marking" . Now then, how about if you run and average of say 1990 to present, instead of cherry picking stats?

<edit> you also failed to incorporate in your statistics of the 1,050,000 commercially caught fish, the other 36 or so sockeye stocks on the Copper River delta that don't run up the Copper for example the Eyak, Alaganik, Martin and Russian rivers, Bering river, Gandil river, Clear creek, etc etc etc.... Good day
      sigpic

I'm taking a poll
      <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

full disclosure

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
        Thats not correct, there is no cost recovery taken on the Copper.
        "The Prince William Sound Aquaculture Corporation is a private nonprofit corporation established by the legislature in 1973 to produce hatchery-born, ocean-raised wild salmon for the commercial, sport, personal use and subsistence fisheries in the Prince William Sound region. PWSAC operations are financed through the sale of hatchery fish to processors and a salmon enhancement tax paid by commercial fishermen."

So you're saying that only the commercial fishermen are paying for PWSAC fish?

This could go on all day with fb.

Comment

So you're saying that only the commercial fishermen are paying for PWSAC fish?

This could go on all day with fb.
          Thats exactly what i'm saying gr8fl, commercial fisherman pay for PWSAC fish. When we catch PWSAC fish for "cost recovery" we share our market place. Remember limited entry? PWSAC has no limited entry permit. There fore they can't sell salmon w/o the permit holder, hello? We are PWSWAC!!! ding ding ding
          sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

At your request

Originally posted by fullbush View Post
            Now then, how about if you run and average of say 1990 to present, instead of cherry picking stats?
            10 year average 332,910 Gulkana contributions out of 2,158,744 total estimated sockeye salmon run size 1999-2009. That's 15% of the fish for which I thank you, PWSAC. Thank you, Jesus, for the other 85%.

Here's the source: 2009 Prince William Sound Area Finfish Management Report.

btw, in all fairness, I've included a link on the CRCDFEC page to PWSAC.

~tr

Comment

10 year average 332,910 Gulkana contributions out of 2,158,744 total estimated sockeye salmon run size 1999-2009. That's 15% of the fish for which I thank you, PWSAC. Thank you, Jesus, for the other 85%.

Here's the source: 2009 Prince William Sound Area Finfish Management Report.

btw, in all fairness, I've included a link on the CRCDFEC page to PWSAC.

~tr

Good job gr8fl! I'll join you in thanking the greatest MacDaddy gillnetter of them all--Thankyou Jesus! :topjob:
              sigpic

I'm taking a poll

Comment

Anchorage Radiation Level Chart Added

At the bottom of "Current Conditions" section, which used to be called "Weather" until I added Earthquakes and Radiation maps.

~tr
                Last edited by gr8fl; 03-29-2011, 22:32. Reason: figured out how to say it better.

Comment

News Ticker + Search Box added

News ticker added + ADF&G/SOA search box at top of page. Sorry news rss is ADN. I was hoping ADF&G had one that was worthwhile.

Comment

Predictive Fishometer

Real-Time Predictive Fishometer added. Best guesstimate for success if you went today. Use at your own risk.

btw, this is a modification of one version of a Care-o-Meter if you've ever seen one.

Also, I swapped the ADN news feed for NOAA Statewide Weather Alerts. Got tired of some of the headlines they put out there as news.
                    Last edited by gr8fl; 04-03-2011, 15:49. Reason: clarification of source

Comment

field version availability?

Real-Time Predictive Fishometer added. Best guesstimate for success if you went today. Use at your own risk.
                      Can I get a boat-mounted version of that?

That'd look real nice on the console of any boat, I would predict.

Comment

It's in the works.

Originally posted by FamilyMan View Post
                        Can I get a boat-mounted version of that?
                        Roger that. Here's the boat mounted version:

Be advised I'm still working out the bugs.

~tr

Comment

Now Accurately Predicting

...to the nearest 5K.

~tr

Comment

How is it that you're not makin' the big bucks workin' at Humminbird? They just don't think as cool as you do! :topjob:

Comment

Off and On

Comment

Off the Scale

a la 2006

~tr

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X