X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooligan report!

Time to go dipping!

I'm going to stick this thread for a while so we can keep updated on the hooligan runs.

Post what info you know/have heard!
    AKmud
    sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Eating Hooligan ?

Are they worth eating? Somke and can them mabey?

Anyways thanks for any info.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by motorboatn View Post
      Are they worth eating? Somke and can them mabey?

Anyways thanks for any info.
      My family loves them. We pan fry them like trout and will go through 40-50 per meal (Wife and I + 4 kids). Just roll them in a flour/lemon pepper mix and fry them hot until a bit crispy on the outside (they cook quick). Great with a little lemon juice!
      AKmud
      sigpic

The porcupine is a peaceful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Comment

New net - tag still on

Have my brand new dipping net bought from B & Js last year...but I was too late last year so I'm chop'n at the bit for this year. Where should I consider going first?
        Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Comment

We have always done well in the Turnigan Arm from the park border sign turn out (just south of Girdwood) to 20 mile river.

If anyone is driving by there regularly, let us know if dippers are getting fish!
          AKmud
          sigpic

Comment

One thing about hooligan is that they make an AWSOME bait fish for Lake Trout, Burbot, Halibut, Salmon, and Pike! The family and I dip net quite a few gallons of hooligan. We save some whole ones for bait. We vacuum seal 20 per bag with a touch of salt. The rest get gobbled up. Our best recipie was to put them in the smoker with salt and pepper and dry smoke them. They are so oily that this slow smoking firms up the texture and they are really good stuff. We put our freighter canoe into 20 mile river and motor up to our (secret) dipping hole. Back in Maine we used to gather along the river banks every sping with lanterns and dipnets. At night was when we'd dip the smelts. We called it Smelting. With the price of herring......you'd be saving alot of money by substituting Hoolys. For me.....it's a savings of about 200 dollars or more.
            www.freightercanoes.com www.copperheadalaska.com
            sigpic
            matnaggewinu

Comment

someone say Hooligan?...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1S_c...e=channel_page
              ------------------------------------------------
              pull my finger....

Comment

Smoke them, toss in flour and fry, my mother in law bakes them. Have thought of trying a chowder with hooligan, but am not sure if they would hold together.

Thinking of heading down to 20 mile on Monday. Will let you know how things are.

What is best for catching them? Before or after high tide? Never can remember...
                Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Comment

One thing about hooligan is that they make an AWSOME bait fish for Lake Trout, Burbot, Halibut, Salmon, and Pike! The family and I dip net quite a few gallons of hooligan. We save some whole ones for bait
                  Just in case some others are not familiar with it make sure when you give this advice out you tell them it happens to be illegal.

Comment

Not doubting you, mind you...

Originally posted by rdrash View Post
                    Just in case some others are not familiar with it make sure when you give this advice out you tell them it happens to be illegal.
                    ... but can you cite the reg? Seems like they fall into the same category as herring, which can be eaten or used for bait.

I've never had a luck with hooligan on halibut as compared to herring. Others do seem to have good results, however.

Comment

5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75

The reg that covers this states Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75,

You may be right I was pouring over that reg and I can't find an answer either way I thought the reg used to read a specie that had no liomit no closed season but it may have changed.

I may very well be wrong I was thinking that hooligans are in the personal use fishery but there description and regs is in the sport regs and not the subs/personal use regs.

as a matter of fact I am wrong

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...lUse/index.cfm

Half way down the page

Comment

They are very good burbot bait!!

Comment

Well...

Anything to report???:cool:

Comment

Not yet

Drove by 20 Mile River and I didn't see any seagulls or eagles in all of Turnagain Arm. But there are Kings being caught in the K's. Maybe the barge scared the hoolies away.
                            Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Comment

Nothing

Just got back from 20 mile...dipped for about an hour and left an hour before high tige. NOTHING! Zilch. Did see a flock of birds and lots of eagles working it pretty hard at Petters Creek. Couple old timers out there said another week or two. Nice drive tho.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X