Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filleting-Do you get the bellies on the fillet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gennie
    replied
    belly meat makes wonderful chowder

I have always valued belly meat because you can cube it so easily and it makes fabulous chowder with nary a worry about bones. With pike I cut the fillet from the front to just back of the vent along the lateral line, then dorsally and angling backward. This gives me two chunks with all the y-bones in them that I can cook separately or tease away from the y-bones and make into boneless patties. The rest of the bones are on the carcass after filletting and the belly and tail meat are boneless too.

The tip on combing the ribs is excellent. Have to add a nice clean new comb to my tackle box.

Another thing I have always done is to carefully cut the gal bladder away from the liver and then fry the livers in bacon grease. Especially when camping, these are excellent along with the bacon and eggs in the morning. The hearts are good too but pretty small unless it is a huge fish.

Leave a comment:

• tdelarm
    replied
    Bellies and cheeks

Keep the bellies and, will keep the cheeks from the kings too to grill up.

Leave a comment:

• little dave
    replied
    Not only does the belly meet taste good but if you butterfly fillet the fish when you go to store them in the freezer fold the fish skin side out this way the meet wont get freezer burned and will last longer.

Leave a comment:

• LuJon
    replied
    I'll try and catch the bellies if I am going to be smoking, for steaks and such the wife will just end up trimming it off in the kitchen so I may as well let it go back in the stream to feed the trout and dollies. Think about it like this, if I feed a trout a gut full of salmon belly perhaps it will eat 50-100 less salmon eggs

Leave a comment:

• snowcrab24
    replied
    Ill be honest

I LOVE salmon!! I do not however like the bellies. Ive tried them many times its just not for me. So if anyone wants all my bellies let me know and Ill gladly save them for you. Just a good solid piece of meat is what i like.

Leave a comment:

• Delta Tenderfoot
    replied
    Use it all!

I really get ill seeing all the wasted flesh at the cleaning tables. I keep the front fins to smoke for Salmon wings. My dad loves picking the meat off as we watch the Mariners loose. My sister combs the meat of filleted carcus for salmon patties. I bag up the heads for Bait. Try haning a salmon head over a bucket of water with a drop of soap in it, the yellow jackets stay away from the picnic and gorge themselves, then drop in the water. Um, not adviseable in bear country.

Leave a comment:

• Chitina
    replied
    Fish head stew receipe and others

Here's a link to a ways to prepare Salmon parts, "...the pieces many anglers toss into the river: heads, collars, bellies and bones."

http://www.honest-food.net/blog1/200...ays-of-salmon/

Kinda foodie-ish but still good info and great photos.
    Think I'll start a new thread with this and maybe move some of the other food use and preparation tips for Salmon on to it.
    Umm, Salmon.....fresh....ummmm......soooon......

Leave a comment:

• coho slayer
    replied
    Belly meat is the best.

It's also good for you, with the omega fatty acids and whatnot.

We usually fillet from the top, so you end up with two fillets connected by the belly meat. Then cut the belly meat off as a seperate part of just split it in the middle...either way.

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    Salt and lemon juice, that's the easy part. The hard (time consuming) part is sepperating the eggs from the skeins. Pour boiling water over the skeins, seperate as many as possible and repeat. I'll have to look up quantities on the salt, I don't recall offhand. 1T of salt and 1 T of lemon juice per pint of roe is in the ballpark, but maybe a bit too much salt.

Leave a comment:

• samsoniam
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul H View Post
    Yeah we also keep the roe. Starting the day with a toasted bagel, cream cheese, a heap of fresh cavier and a strong cup of coffee, few things are finer.

I have had roe prepared by a friend that wasn't too bad. I tried to prepare it once, didn't much care for it.....
    It's funny, but I don't remember trying roe or seeing many others do so. I always keep it for winter ice fishing bait or chum, but never tried preparing it. Do you know of any recipes for making caviar out of salmon roe? I'd be interested to try it.

Leave a comment:

• Paul H
    replied
    Yeah we also keep the roe. Starting the day with a toasted bagel, cream cheese, a heap of fresh cavier and a strong cup of coffee, few things are finer.

I have had roe prepared by a friend that wasn't too bad. I tried to prepare it once, didn't much care for it, and the kids don't seem to have a problem getting rid of the milt with the guts, and retaining the roe in gallon ziplock bags.

Leave a comment:

• samsoniam
    replied
    ^^I've eaten hooligan milt. It isn't bad at all. In fact, I liked it better than the hooligan meat.

Leave a comment:

• chico99645
    replied
    [QUOTE= Never developed a taste for milt, so that goes with the gills and guts, about all we toss on a red. Or a silver. Or a dog. Or a king.[/QUOTE]

Even the Sea Gulls won't touch Milt !!!:eek:

Leave a comment:

• samsoniam
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul H View Post
    Nothing better than smoked belly meat, I couldn't imagine tossing it.
    ^^ True wisdom^^

I filet the left side of the fish completely, then cut that side away from the belly. The belly then comes off with the other side. Then I cut the belly away from the right filet and bag for the smoker.

Leave a comment:

• BrownBear
    replied
    We split our reds from the back, leaving the two fillets connected at the bellies. Later we cut the belly off as one piece and freeze it separate from the loins, all that is produced in a quick fillet (read: total waste) method. Bellies are the best part and we make meals of nothing but the bellies. Never even get to the loins till we run out of bellies.

I hear you on the heads too, Paul.

We also take the carcasses, hack them into 3 or 4 pieces, then quick fry them and pick off the meat. The sweetest meat is next to the bone, donchaknow. Livers and hearts are fried like chicken livers and hearts, and the roe goes to caviar. Never developed a taste for milt, so that goes with the gills and guts, about all we toss on a red. Or a silver. Or a dog. Or a king.

Leave a comment:

Footer Adsense

Collapse
Working...
X