Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Filleting-Do you get the bellies on the fillet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filleting-Do you get the bellies on the fillet?

Just curious if people do the quick fillet or the more full fillet with the bellies intact with the rest of the fillet. I was shown the bellies filleting and was somewhat shocked that Hem's fish cleaning station does the quick fillet(unless you make a point of asking for bellies) Also know of a guide(kings) on the Gulkana(thats off the Richardson just above Glenallen for you Kenai and Anch guys) that keeps the bellies for himself unless people insist.
    Paul Holland
    Board Member Chitina Dipnetters Association
    chitinadipnetters dot com

Bellies...

I start off taking the time to keep the bellies on the fillet (butterfly fillet) ...but after about 10 or 15 fish, I just peel the fillet off the ribs and leave the bellies.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Comment

I keep the bellies on mine always, its the way I fillet all my customers fish, its also a high fat area of the fish and is the best for the Bar-b-q.
      Frank
      Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
      www.wildroselodge.com

Comment

I use the bellies for bait. it works super good.

Comment

Nothing better than smoked belly meat, I couldn't imagine tossing it.

I'd just as well catch less fish and get all the meat off, then catch more and waste it.
          Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Comment

Another vote for keeping the bellies

As a matter of fact, the bellies are my favorite. More fat=more flavor. Especially on the BBQ, smoked and pickled. It's a waste in my mind to carve them up without the bellies. Takes more time, but heck...it's worth it when you consider all you did to catch the buggers in the first place.
            Last edited by Linda Johnson; 07-16-2006, 10:25.

Comment

Meat or Fat?

Originally posted by sal
              As a matter of fact, the bellies are my favorite. More fat=more flavor. Especially on the BBQ, smoked and pickled. It's a waste in my mind to carve them up without the bellies. Takes more time, but heck...it's worth it when you consider all you did to catch the buggers in the first place.
              OK, I'll try it, even though it looks gross. Keep the fins on? I guess you can't take the skin off very easily, can you? Is the meat red? Is it meat, or fat? When I eat a pork chop I'd throw up if I took a big bite of fat, so...
              Last edited by Linda Johnson; 07-16-2006, 10:34.
              Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Comment

smoke 'em

i always save my bellies aside until i have a smoker load, or enough for special brine batch.
                use a lot of ginger (through a garlic press), garlic, and molasses. baste with maple syrup just before they are done....nothing better!!!
                smoked feeder king bellies in the winter...WOWZA!!!
                Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
                http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Comment

The meat is red (flesh colored), and has a sweat taste, not fatty.
                  Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul H View Post
                    Nothing better than smoked belly meat, I couldn't imagine tossing it.

I'd just as well catch less fish and get all the meat off, then catch more and waste it.
                    I hear ya paul, its just craziness to throw away the belly. They should lose all fishing rights for that kind of wanton waste.
                    sigpic

I'm taking a poll
                    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

Comment

The bellies are the best part of the fish! Like others have said, great grilled, pickled, or smoked.

I always keep them and woe to the person who goes out fishing with me and tries to throw away the belly meat.
                      Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Comment

Yummy!!!!

The bellies are the best part IMO..... people who toss them out are crazy! I process all my fish at home. While I'm cleaning fish, one of my buddies are BBQ those tasty bellies along with the collars! ****, I'm getting hungry now!

Comment

Belly meat

Chop the belly meat (think "burger"), mix with a raw egg, and press into patties a little larger than the size of your hamburger buns. Grill over an open wood fire with a teryaki based BBQ sauce ! Don't waste 'em!

Comment

Forgot to mention I even keep most of the heads for fish head soup. They also make good bait.

Comment

We split our reds from the back, leaving the two fillets connected at the bellies. Later we cut the belly off as one piece and freeze it separate from the loins, all that is produced in a quick fillet (read: total waste) method. Bellies are the best part and we make meals of nothing but the bellies. Never even get to the loins till we run out of bellies.

I hear you on the heads too, Paul.

We also take the carcasses, hack them into 3 or 4 pieces, then quick fry them and pick off the meat. The sweetest meat is next to the bone, donchaknow. Livers and hearts are fried like chicken livers and hearts, and the roe goes to caviar. Never developed a taste for milt, so that goes with the gills and guts, about all we toss on a red. Or a silver. Or a dog. Or a king.
                              "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
                              Merle Haggard

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X