Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of people out this season riding and camping. Did our first camping trip at Jim creek in early April as our annual shakedown and never seen so many people there before. Quarantine has created a GTFO psychosis. Were I living in a big city, joining a riot might be alluring.
    -Tim

Comment

my daughter in law told me that the river is closed to kings and cant catch.....I cant find anything about it....is it true ?
      Headed down in about 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by papabear3 View Post
        my daughter in law told me that the river is closed to kings and cant catch.....I cant find anything about it....is it true ?
        Headed down in about 2 weeks
        If I were planning to head down there, the first thing I would do is check the EO's for the opening schedule....

"...the Chitina Subdistrict personal use dip net fishery will be closed to the retention of king salmon for the remainder of the season. King salmon incidentally taken must be released immediately and returned to the water unharmed." https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/...2020&NRID=2971
        ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
        I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
        The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

O'brien Creek Trail conditions up to mile marker 6.6: https://youtu.be/lpsvdrU16OM

Comment

I fished the Canyon in my 18 foot jet drive on the 4th and 5th. There were 3 of us dipping in my boat and things were decent considering the lowish numbers we were picking up about 2 to 3 fish per hour. We fished 10 hours on the 4th and picked up 26 very nice reds. We fished another 8 hours on the 5th and bonked 20 more chromed out reds. Was a great time! The water was at least 6 feet lower than this time last year and I ran some pretty shallow water at one point when I took the wrong braid. The wind this year was also heavy! On the way down river my eyes got hammered with blowing silt making it difficult. All and all was a great time and I hope to see some more reports in the coming weeks.

PS... we caught some nice kings and had to turn them out of the nets

Comment

This fishery has devolved into a overrun dystopian mess.
              The only way of avoiding some of the chaos is to pay $$$$ to (increasing) commercial operators or own a hot rod boat - somewhat antithetical to the original 'personal use' concept.
              Dangerous and dirty activities aplenty.
              "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

Comment

Originally posted by 68 Bronco View Post
                This fishery has devolved into a overrun dystopian mess.<br/>The only way of avoiding some of the chaos is to pay $$$$ to (increasing) commercial operators or own a hot rod boat - somewhat antithetical to the original 'personal use' concept.<br/>Dangerous and dirty activities aplenty.
                My thoughts exactly. Or at least pretty close. It used to be a fun adventure because hardly anyone was there. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

Originally posted by iyouktug View Post
                  I fished the Canyon in my 18 foot jet drive on the 4th and 5th. There were 3 of us dipping in my boat and things were decent considering the lowish numbers we were picking up about 2 to 3 fish per hour. We fished 10 hours on the 4th and picked up 26 very nice reds. We fished another 8 hours on the 5th and bonked 20 more chromed out reds. Was a great time! The water was at least 6 feet lower than this time last year and I ran some pretty shallow water at one point when I took the wrong braid. The wind this year was also heavy! On the way down river my eyes got hammered with blowing silt making it difficult. All and all was a great time and I hope to see some more reports in the coming weeks.<br/><br/> PS... we caught some nice kings and had to turn them out of the nets
                  Glad to hear you got some fish! Sounds good to me, but the overall numbers are not good. <br/><br/>Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk<br/><br/>

Comment

can you dipnet for silvers on the Chitnia? Did dipnetting open up in Sept?

Comment

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/f...a_Brochure.pdf

Yes, the schedule shows that it will be open all of Sept.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X