Dipnetting Violations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipnetting Violations

Every week during dipnetting season the police report on the Kenai balloons in size. The numbers of people who fail to follow the basic requirements is alarming. Here are some of the citations issued: failure to record daily catch on personal use permit, obtaining more than one personal use permit for his household, personal use fishing in a closed area, failure to have Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Permit in possession as required, for taking salmon in a closed area, for participating in a personal use fishery without the required personal use permit, a person from Santa Clara, California, for dipnetting without a valid resident license, for failing to clip the fins of salmon, unable to provide a permit where the fish had been logged, dipnetting at 11:00 pm after the fishery had closed at 11:00 p.m, unable to provide a valid Alaska 2019 fishing license.

If you open the link in the private or incognito mode you should be able view the entire report.
    https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...august-5-2019/

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

This post is okay, but I wanted to post a reminder, just in case this thread takes a different turn. We do not allow the posting of specific police blotter reports on our site. The details can be found in our forum rules.

"We do not allow posting and discussion of violators and their alleged violations listed in police blotters, state trooper reports, newspaper articles, websites, etc. See this thread for the reasons why."

-Mike
    Michael Strahan
    Site Owner
    Alaska Hunt Consultant
    1 (907) 229-4501

Comment

34 citations written up on july 28 alone. And if I understand correctly, a measly $120. Fine for failure to record. I would hope the fish have to be surrendered , though I doubt it. Probably tough to determine that they are completely safe to eat, so donating to food banks,senior centers would be problematic. Still,with that small of a fine, it might lead some unethical people to take a chance on not recording so they can exceed their limit.

Comment

Originally posted by gunner View Post
        34 citations written up on july 28 alone. And if I understand correctly, a measly $120. Fine for failure to record. I would hope the fish have to be surrendered , though I doubt it. Probably tough to determine that they are completely safe to eat, so donating to food banks,senior centers would be problematic. Still,with that small of a fine, it might lead some unethical people to take a chance on not recording so they can exceed their limit.
        I agree. I can see showing a little mercy when someone makes an honest mistake and owns up to it by self-reporting their own violation. But it just pisses me off when people blatantly break the law with no regard whatsoever and they get away with virtually no consequence. It's just asking for more people to be ignorant and stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
          It's just asking for more people to be ignorant and stupid.
          Doesn't seem like there's need for any asking. Alaska has an endless supply of volunteers.
          ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
          I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
          The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

different degrees.

Perhaps F&G needs a tier of the seriousness of the violations like the law has for misdemeanors - different classes or something.

Failing to clip fins before putting the fish in a cooler is certainly a lesser offense than obtaining fraudulent permits or grossly exceeding the limits.

Throw the book at the really bad guys IMO.

Originally posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
            I agree. I can see showing a little mercy when someone makes an honest mistake and owns up to it by self-reporting their own violation. But it just pisses me off when people blatantly break the law with no regard whatsoever and they get away with virtually no consequence. It's just asking for more people to be ignorant and stupid.
            Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
            ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
              Every week during dipnetting season the police report on the Kenai balloons in size. The numbers of people who fail to follow the basic requirements is alarming. Here are some of the citations issued: failure to record daily catch on personal use permit, obtaining more than one personal use permit for his household, personal use fishing in a closed area, failure to have Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Permit in possession as required, for taking salmon in a closed area, for participating in a personal use fishery without the required personal use permit, a person from Santa Clara, California, for dipnetting without a valid resident license, for failing to clip the fins of salmon, unable to provide a permit where the fish had been logged, dipnetting at 11:00 pm after the fishery had closed at 11:00 p.m, unable to provide a valid Alaska 2019 fishing license.

If you open the link in the private or incognito mode you should be able view the entire report.
              https://www.peninsulaclarion.com/new...august-5-2019/

Tip- and I mean TINY tip of the iceberg. And, of course, doesn't even include the devastation of the beaches, especially Kasilof, which is covered in all manner of junk.

Comment

Originally posted by sayak View Post
                Tip- and I mean TINY tip of the iceberg. And, of course, doesn't even include the devastation of the beaches, especially Kasilof, which is covered in all manner of junk.
                Yes, I agree!
                I would venture a guess there's more violaters in the dipnet fishery than any other fishery/hunt by a large margin.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
                "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

I was at the mouth of the Kasilof yesterday, didn't see much junk, if any....did see a very diverse number of people happily fishing. I would venture a guess that diversity bothers some folks. A lot.
                  "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Comment

Originally posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
                    Yes, I agree!
                    I would venture a guess there's more violaters in the dipnet fishery than any other fishery/hunt by a large margin.

Because it's largely unregulated. I have never seen a wildlife trooper walk through the folks who are fishing to check for licenses, permits, or clipped fins. I am, however, pleased that the garbage heaps at the dumpsters have only overflowed once in the times I've been there this year. It got cleaned up.

Comment

The Copper is no different. Unless you read the trooper dispaches you will seldom see a violation in the paper.

Patriot Life Member NRA
                      Life Member Veterans of Foreign Wars
                      Life Member Disabled American Veterans

Comment

Originally posted by Daveinthebush View Post
                        The Copper is no different. Unless you read the trooper dispaches you will seldom see a violation in the paper.
                        It just amazes me that year after year there are so many violations. There was one last week where the person was cited for the exact same violation the year before (dipnetting during a closed period, after 11pm), obviously they do not care and the fine isn't enough to deter them. The rules for dipnetting are probably some of the easiest we have for any of our fisheries statewide, as long as you have a permit and license you catch a fish, clip the fin, count the fish...done, other than some years don't keep a king. I hate to hazard a guess as to how many violate these basic rules on accident versus on purpose, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts a majority do not follow the rules on purpose so they can catch more than they are allowed by law. If that were not the case then at some point in time people would stop getting tickets in the numbers we are seeing because another $120-$220 for salmon on top of all the other money and time spent just can't be worth it.
                        “I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” Physicist ― Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by Patsfan54 View Post
                          It just amazes me that year after year there are so many violations. There was one last week where the person was cited for the exact same violation the year before (dipnetting during a closed period, after 11pm), obviously they do not care and the fine isn't enough to deter them. The rules for dipnetting are probably some of the easiest we have for any of our fisheries statewide, as long as you have a permit and license you catch a fish, clip the fin, count the fish...done, other than some years don't keep a king. I hate to hazard a guess as to how many violate these basic rules on accident versus on purpose, but I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts a majority do not follow the rules on purpose so they can catch more than they are allowed by law. If that were not the case then at some point in time people would stop getting tickets in the numbers we are seeing because another $120-$220 for salmon on top of all the other money and time spent just can't be worth it.
                          I've worked with a bunch of guys years ago that would brag that they had broken the law dipping.
                          A couple of them told me they get their limit then keep their unmarked card on their lap. Then if they see a leo as their driving off the beach they quickly fill it out.
                          If unchecked they go back later for more.
                          Found out another guy sold a few fish (under his deceased father's permit that his mother still had)to the cannery and later got $2,000 worth of diesel (home heating fuel)in disaster relief from the feds because it was a poor fish year.
                          I could go on and on. And these are just some of the guys who openly admitted this stuff to me in conversations at work.

"The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Comment

1st offense everything connected with the fishing trip is seized, vehicles, nets, chairs, tents, coolers etc its all gone then 250 bucks per fish allowed for every person in the family and lifetime suspension of fishing & hunting licenses for all involved ! take the PFD while we're at it.
                            sigpic
                            Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
                            Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
                            Ropes, Buoys, Bait
                            alaskashrimppots.com
                            akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
                            907 775 1692

Comment

Originally posted by potbuilder View Post
                              1st offense everything connected with the fishing trip is seized, vehicles, nets, chairs, tents, coolers etc its all gone then 250 bucks per fish allowed for every person in the family and lifetime suspension of fishing & hunting licenses for all involved ! take the PFD while we're at it.
                              Amen.
                              ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
                              I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
                              The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X