Kenai River Personal Use Dip Net Fishery Open 24 Hours Per Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenai River Personal Use Dip Net Fishery Open 24 Hours Per Day

(Soldotna) - The Kenai River personal use dip net fishery will be open 24 hours per day, beginning 11:00 p.m. Saturday, July 27 through 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, July 31, 2019.
    The area of the Kenai River open to personal use dipnetting remains the same. Please review pages 13-16 of the 2019 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulation Summary booklet for a complete description of the area open to dipnetting, along with harvest limits and permit requirements. Participants are reminded that retention of king salmon is prohibited, and any king salmon caught must be returned immediately to the water. Additionally, to participate in the Upper Cook Inlet personal fisheries participants must be Alaska residents and have in their possession a current sport fishing license and a Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use permit. Nonresidents are not permitted to participate in personal use fisheries.
    The Upper Cook Inlet Personal Use Salmon Fishery Management Plan allows ADF&G to increase the hours open to dipnetting in the Kenai River personal use fishery to 24 hours per day if ADF&G determines that Kenai River late-run sockeye salmon numbers exceed 2.3 million fish. Based on inseason indicators, ADF&G is projecting a run size in excess of 2.3 million late-run Kenai River sockeye salmon and anticipates the escapement goal (700,000 - 1,200,000 sockeye salmon) will be achieved.
    Please respect all private property adjacent to public beaches and follow applicable rules and regulations when on lands owned by the City of Kenai.
    For additional information, please contact Area Management Biologist Colton Lipka at (907) 262-9368.

A complete slap in the face to the commercial fishery, particularly the drift fleet, which has been denied almost zero opportunity to harvest this resource outside of their regularly scheduled twice a week openers which have been limited to areas where most of the fish are not congregated. Unfortunately, I see more lawsuits in the future as adfg and the board are completely ignoring the magnuson stevens act.

Comment

Originally posted by gunner View Post
      A complete slap in the face to the commercial fishery, particularly the drift fleet, which has been denied almost zero opportunity to harvest this resource outside of their regularly scheduled twice a week openers which have been limited to areas where most of the fish are not congregated. Unfortunately, I see more lawsuits in the future as adfg and the board are completely ignoring the magnuson stevens act.
      The governor owes Bob Penny a debt and you guys are going to pay it.

Comment

Originally posted by AKBC View Post
        The governor owes Bob Penny a debt and you guys are going to pay it.
        I doubt Bob Penney cares much about dip netters, though he may want to spite the commercial guys.

Comment

You all know when the sports limit increases, so does the hours on the dipnet fishery. So letting the sports/dippers have at the fish already past the drift fleet is unfair? Lets also turn that first post around compared to last year. Last year if my memory serves me correctly, The EO's for the drift fleet were pretty liberal and stacked or should I say front loaded during the beginning of the season. That was unfair to sports and dippers. Mondays and Thursdays are the scheduled commercial openers so what's the big deal? They got those openers. I don't have heartburn with the way the sockeye run is being handled. It's all according to the management plan. I'm more concerned on the King escapement and I have not Kenai fished for kings in 20 plus years.
          If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

Originally posted by gunner View Post
            How does regulating the drift fleet to allow passage of Northern District bound fish violate the Magnuson Stevens Act? Seems like a tough argument, as ignoring those fish in favor of harvesting more abundant Kenai stock violates the provision that managers manage fish throughout their passage to natal streams.

Comment

Whop and Will, Personal use areas and hours have been expanded in both kenai and kasilof. Sportfish bag limits increased in kenai. Escapement levels are predicted to exceed goals in both rivers, yet both the beaches and drift fleet are closed. At the very least,a corridor opening is called for. I guess we no longer have any doubts about what the commissioner meant when he promised more fish on alaskan dinner plates.

Comment

Gunner, I am not trying to be argumentative here but when the dipnet fishery was opened up to 24 hours/day and the sportfish bag limits were increased for the 27th-31st did the commercial fishing fleet not only fish on Sunday the 28th, but also have an EO opening on Monday the 29th and again an EO opening for today? Looking at the harvest data it looks like 342,087 salmon of all types were harvested on the 28th - 29th.

My point is that it looks to my uneducated eye that when the decision was made to increase the harvest ability of the dipnet fishery & sport fishery, that the commercial fleet was given additional ability as well. From the UCI commercial fisheries information recordings it sure sounds like the managers are doing what they can to keep the escapement from going over to me, but again I am just an observer to all of this.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...arvest_current

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...byareauci.main

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...salmon#fishery
                “The mountains are calling and I must go.” - John Muir

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

JD, you are correct. Since the sport & PU sockeye fisheries were liberalized on the 27th, the commercial set and drift fleets have fished the 28, 29, and 31 July dates. I suspect that more commfish fishing periods will be liberalized in the following weeks to handle the late run and larger run than forecast. Yep, ADFG/BoF sure is doing a crummy job of managing the fishery and deliberately hosing the commfish guys for the benefit of the sport/PU guys! Yep, we sure do need the Feds to take over the management of the fishery because ADFG/BoF is incompetent!!!

Originally posted by Jackson's Dad View Post
                  Gunner, I am not trying to be argumentative here but when the dipnet fishery was opened up to 24 hours/day and the sportfish bag limits were increased for the 27th-31st did the commercial fishing fleet not only fish on Sunday the 28th, but also have an EO opening on Monday the 29th and again an EO opening for today? Looking at the harvest data it looks like 342,087 salmon of all types were harvested on the 28th - 29th.

My point is that it looks to my uneducated eye that when the decision was made to increase the harvest ability of the dipnet fishery & sport fishery, that the commercial fleet was given additional ability as well. From the UCI commercial fisheries information recordings it sure sounds like the managers are doing what they can to keep the escapement from going over to me, but again I am just an observer to all of this.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...arvest_current

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...byareauci.main

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...salmon#fishery

Comment

Ever heard of closing the gate after the horse left the barn? There will be a huge overescapement over the already too high goal. Lost yield. Glad the dippers and sportiest are having a good season.

Comment

I keep hearing about the escapement boogeyman every year. IN the past 25 years, how many banner years have the returns been mostly breaking the records since they were tabulated? Gunner, your post is a highlight of the mindset of some comfishers, not all mind you. Maybe next year I will press the issue that Dippers and sporties should start out strong with a 12 fish limit and a 24 hour dipping cycle and only throttled back if the numbers don't show by July 21st. This way the horse won't be let out of the barn with the gate closing later. That boogeyman will be kept in check too.
                      If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip? ALASKADIPNETTING.NET

Comment

Ever hear about "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" and "Hindsight is Always 20-20"? Before last week, ADFG was not forecasting the upper goal to be exceeded, and they managed according to the established plan. Just like they're supposed to. Once last weeks huge (and unprecedented) returns showed up, they opened up the fishery to every user group, including yours, just like the plan allows. Be aware, that over the past 20 years, until this year, there had only been ONE day over that entire 20 year period where ~100K+ fish entered the river that late in the year, and yet 99K returned on back-to-back days on July 27 & 28 this year. I wish ADFG had a crystal ball to predict that, but they don't.

Comment

I just want to know how in the world there is even a good return to begin with. Didn't the commfisherman wipe out the run in the previous years leaving no fish for dippers and none to spawn? Blows my mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Comment

No monday morning quarterback going on here norcal. Commercial fishermen met with mr. Penneys commisioner on july 23. The unanimous consensus among the fleet was that warm water temps and lack of wind events were delaying escapement levels, just like the last few years. When asked directly what escapement numbers would trigger additional openings, the commisioner was noncomittal. Interestingly enough, at this meeting, local comfish staff was not present. The whole business stinks like a rotten gutpile on a hot august day.

Comment

On July 23, there were around 560K fish counted, which was barely HALF way to the minimum escapement goal. Geeez, I wonder why the Commish was non-committal for EO's giving extra time outside the management plan????? I get what you want, but second guessing is easy, especially when you have a huge late push of reds that are not normal. Yep, we sure do need the FEDS to take over because ADFG don't know their butts from a hole in the ground. Just to be clear here, I think ADFG is one of the premier natural resource managing agencies around (far better than the FEDS), and by presenting the other side of the story (you know, the one you DON'T want to hear), hopefully the facts will come to the surface behind decisions made.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X