2019 Copper River Dipnetting Reports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AKdreamn View Post
    I only used (1) 6-ft pole. My partnerís pole was more in the8-ft range. We were sitting right on the ground, top of the net just barely submerged/justout of the water. The guy downstream from us sweeping had a 12-footer.

Like I said, I needto get a scale to keep my lies straight. I was fishing the Kenai this year andthought for sure ďThatís at least an 8 or 9 pounder!Ē, but when I weighed it,it was 7.5 (on a fish scale). Iíll go with ArcticNorseman, and say that I ranmore of 6-1/2 to 7-lb average for the lot.

Anyway, it was aspectacular weekend. Best of luck to all that make the venture in the waningdays of this amazing summer.
    Dropped in on O'Brien Creek on the way to Valdez just out of curiosity/recon. I brought a dipnet with me just in case. There were half a dozen folks fishing the eddie area just upstream from Hem's launch. They had about half a dozen fish from what I could see, said it was slow, and I got the feeling that they didn't want company, so my guess is fishing was better than they let on. I watched for a bit and didn't see anything caught, but I'm thinking I'll stop and give it at least a couple of hours on the way back to town in a couple of days.

I was wanting to get to Valdez for dinner anyway... lol.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Didn't mean to quote anyone in that post.

BTW... Weather was awesome there and it's great in Valdez, too. Could use at least a little breeze to cool my hotel room off.

Comment

Stopped Chitina Friday on the way back. People were definitely catching more fish there than Valdez. If there were any any Porta potties at O'Brien I would have stayed and given it a shot. I developed a little gastrointestinal distress, though, and I wasn't going to try that. Made Camp on McCarthy side of the bridge (also a lot less windy) with the Permanent outhouses nearby... LOL.

It was a quiet and pleasant night at this time of year.

Bottom line is it's still worth the time to dip the Copper at this point in the year. Might make that a plan and skip the crowds. So a number of fish caught Friday evening by others.

Comment

Originally posted by coho slayer View Post
          Stopped Chitina Friday on the way back. People were definitely catching more fish there than Valdez. If there were any any Porta potties at O'Brien I would have stayed and given it a shot. I developed a little gastrointestinal distress, though, and I wasn't going to try that. Made Camp on McCarthy side of the bridge (also a lot less windy) with the Permanent outhouses nearby... LOL.

It was a quiet and pleasant night at this time of year.

Bottom line is it's still worth the time to dip the Copper at this point in the year. Might make that a plan and skip the crowds. So a number of fish caught Friday evening by others.

Nice to hear. Were people catching fish by the McCarthy Bridge?
          -Tim

Comment

Originally posted by TR View Post
            Nice to hear. Were people catching fish by the McCarthy Bridge?
            Negative. The fishing was all down by O'Brien that I saw. I didn't see anyone trying up stream. Water is super low. Basically no water at all on the upstream side of the bridge. It may be the lowest I've ever seen it.

Comment

Wanted to say thanks for all the positive feed in this thread this year, was an amazing season for dipnetting the Copper even with the high water early on. Iíve dipnetted for 10 years on this river and learned a lot this year. I was not able to make a third trip down this year but I am very pleased with the 60 reds resting in my freezer for the winter and the opportunity to help a couple friends with their limits as well.

Want to give a shout out to nick with 1775 charters for helping me out of a bind on the high water. The man is a true professional! Looking forward to what next season has to offer and hope to see some of you down there as well.

Comment

Footer Adsense

Collapse
              Working...
              X